New vehicle construction system explained

Personally, I’d love it if windows were switched to the lines that glass walls use, the " bugs me when it rotates… XD

But that’s just me

That might not be that bad of an idea, I’ve always found the " a little annoying myself.

You can always mod it.

The only vehicles that comes with armor are the quad bike (one piece on the front), the military truck (across the front), and the armored car (all around the exterior).

If it’s fine to prevent other stuff going in that slot, then it just takes removing the “OBSTACLE” flag from plating in vehicle_parts.json to remedy this.

what about making steel plating only Impassable and then making cars out of steel plating over frames. kinda like how they are in real life. then you could use Boards to block vision and movement, like the walls on an RV. Finally using Hard Plating as the additional armor.

Frames like the current version (like the skeleton of the vehicle)
Steel Plating like the currently exist but used on top of Frames to keep stuff out (like the body of cars)
Boards like the current version but used an obstructed alternative to Steel Plating, also allowing armor (like body of some trucks or RVs)
Hard/Spiked/Superalloy Plating as the armor for armored vehicles.
Does that make sense.

I still think the old system worked best as far as armor & boards was concerned something like this (below) would be ideal:

[frame]
-board-
(steel plating)
-headlight-

Anything above (The frame, and board) the Steel plating is “armored” anything below it isn’t, merging “Steel plating” and “board” as one object prevents players from being able to melt down other cars to make steel plating to go over other parts.

That said a separate symbol for parts that can’t be armored would be nice so that one can know their attempts to armor say a Welding Rig are futile. This also allows for armoring “Hoods” of vehicles without blocking LoS or making the area impassable.

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:26, topic:3507”]I still think the old system worked best as far as armor & boards was concerned something like this (below) would be ideal:

[frame]
-board-
(steel plating)
-headlight-

Anything above (The frame, and board) the Steel plating is “armored” anything below it isn’t, merging “Steel plating” and “board” as one object prevents players from being able to melt down other cars to make steel plating to go over other parts.

That said a separate symbol for parts that can’t be armored would be nice so that one can know their attempts to armor say a Welding Rig are futile. This also allows for armoring “Hoods” of vehicles without blocking LoS or making the area impassable.[/quote]that does not solve the problem of not having to use car doors. If there existed another thing like Boards but only impassible for cars to be made out of.

[quote=“meowmers, post:27, topic:3507”][quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:26, topic:3507”]I still think the old system worked best as far as armor & boards was concerned something like this (below) would be ideal:

[frame]
-board-
(steel plating)
-headlight-

That said a separate symbol for parts that can’t be armored would be nice so that one can know their attempts to armor say a Welding Rig are futile. This also allows for armoring “Hoods” of vehicles without blocking LoS or making the area impassable.[/quote]that does not solve the problem of not having to use car doors. If there existed another thing like Boards but only impassible for cars to be made out of.[/quote]

Correct me if I’m wrong on this but the front end of a “car” is something like this:
0""0

Right? Why not put windshield over the tires? I think I did that to fix a bus’ “holes” once

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:28, topic:3507”]Correct me if I’m wrong on this but the front end of a “car” is something like this:
0""0

Right? Why not put windshield over the tires? I think I did that to fix a bus’ “holes” once[/quote]
thats what i do now. i really dont mind the system thats in place now but my ride has become this:

and im not sure if that armor layer does anything.

can this be stickied? we should move it to the wiki.

I seem to find cars to have been heavily nerfed. Even with a armored semi zombies swerve me and hitting a wreck at 40 destroys a fourth of my semi.

Important note, the new system is experimental only for the next week or so until the release hits.

Second note:
Running into a giant ball of metal at 40 mph is gonna do some damage to your car, regardless of how much you armor it. Yes, there are some bugs, but it certainly still makes more sense then the previous version where you could go careening off through buildings without a care in the world.

Will we ever be able to build a proper APC? With firing ports and such? Rather than a big box with a vulnerable window in front.

Edit: Firing ports like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ahz3x38-aqk

Eventually yea, there are some fov and map drawing issues with them at the moment. The real deal restricts your sight and firing angles a great deal, we don’t have a way to do that right now.

Armor has just been put into its own slot, so you can now armor anything and everything if you have enough plating. Armor plates don’t stack with each other.

Armor’s effect is that it takes damage before any other part does. Armoring internal parts is unlikely to help you unless you blow up your gas tank, in which case you probably have bigger problems than your bed/kitchen getting smashed.

I realized that it was just a hold-over from the old system without enough justification to keep it in; so now you can armor away gleefully. Maniacally, even.

Just downloaded the newest experimental version and nearly exploded with joy at the scroll function that was added when modding vehicles. My only small gripe is with boards and quarter boards–most in that they do not have the wide range of symbols available to frames. I’d love to see that changed.

Also, is there a way to turn off the “YOUR TRUNKS HAVE THINGS IN THEM!” glow?

I think the only symbols frames have that boards and quarterpanels don’t are the cover (^), the cross (+), and the double-size ones (H and =). All that that needs is more definitions in data/json/vehicle_parts.json, which just copypasta of the other board types.

The highlight is always on at the moment. If it’s a big annoyance, I could add an option to turn it off.

It’s not that it’s annoying, it’s that it reveals the contents of trunks at a distance. For furniture like refrigerators, dressers etc it’s supressed based on the “container” flag, vehicle components with cargo could use a similar flag. So e.g. seats, floors, truck beds (maybe boxes?) would still highlight, but trunks and other enclosing cargo components wouldn’t.

While I do agree, the problem is that searching vehicles for items is rather more annoying than checking a fridge - if there’s no item in the square, you end up bringing up the vehicle interaction window. That gets really irritating after a while.

Maybe it’ll only show the glow if you’re in an adjacent square? That sounds more reasonable.

Showing it when you’re in arms reach is totally reasonable, I’d like to do that for furniture containers too.