New Faction:: Any feedback or ideas appreciated [Testers Welcome!]

I think the unreasonable part is where people trust the Old Guard at all.

2 Likes

There will always be people that gravitate to order and authority, especially during times of crisis, it’s well within human nature. From an outside perspective, with all information availible on the table, the Old guard are utterly untrustworthy but most survivors will lack the knowledge of what actually happened and I imagine a large amount of them will just want some hope and potential for safety regardless of its source.

1 Like

Heh, this exactly. one of the reasons i started making this was when i was thinking of what exactly could be a counter-balance for basically working for the remnants of the state and capital which seems just entirely unreasonable after what has happened within the game world

1 Like

Whilst I agree that many would still gravitate towards authority and order (though i’d posit this is due to social conditioning, not human nature, per se.), I would say with the very little knowledge the average person has there would still be a ton of blame and resentment towards this group and likely a lot of the theories about what happened will revolve around the main powers at the time of the collapse of the old world.

1 Like

Society is a result of order and authority, you don’t get the former without the latter :stuck_out_tongue:
I don’t personally disagree in regards to them getting a lot of the blame but I’m a suspicious and mistrustful person by nature. I’d say history shows people are willing to put up with and accept a lot, depending on the circumstances and the Old Guard (as far as we know) are the most organised, numerous and well equipped group around. That would be a powerful draw for for quite a few people, regardless of what people think of them.

1 Like

And regimented/stratified society as we understand it has existed for far less time than it hasn’t. We could go for pages and pages on this point and philosophers often do, :stuck_out_tongue: maybe you would find some of the writers that were mentioned above by @damalsk interesting on this point, though i will not link any as i do not think it’s the place to be linking political and philosophical texts. :slight_smile:

t’s really not here nor there because on a micro level, as in the amounts of people we’re dealing with wrt people within the game, will diverge massively from general rules that could or could not be applied to humanity as a whole.

I agree though, there would still be a lot of people behind them, especially the better off or comfortable middle classes who have lost alot, as well as just the opertunities that see safety in the resources they can (or at least claim to be able to) provide.

With this faction i am attempting to deal with those who might have been critical of the Old World before it’s fall and those who might have found themselves in a far better position and gained massively since.

I would love to see someone expand the Old Guard past a couple of guys in the Evac Shelter, but i don’t think it’s for me as i’m personally far to far away from that point of view to write it even close to well and i have no idea what it would begin to look like.

1 Like

I would argue that your point doesn’t invalidate my own but I guess you are right about this not being the place for such discussions so I’ll it at that.

2 Likes

I like reading civil arguments about what would realistically happen in fictional worlds.
It’s quite interesting to see the different philosophies at work.

Also as to your faction, would there also possibly be ex-lab / ex-militia there who are remorseful for playing a part in bringing about the Cataclysm?

1 Like

Also as to your faction, would there also possibly be ex-lab / ex-militia there who are remorseful for playing a part in bringing about the Cataclysm?

I think the creators have ruled there there isn’t really anyone left alive who ‘caused’ the cataclysm. And in any case it was the work of so many people working in so many locations (probably all over the world, not just limited to 'merikkka.) on the things that cause the blob and others to breakthrough and even if those were to have survived and get together i don’t even think they could really piece together what happened to the point of really being able to assign blame. It’s woth reading the stuff from the God’s Eye view in the the Development Docs, if you havn’t already! Buuut having said all that, if you think you could add or write up some backstory/dialogue for anyone that fits i’d be happy to add! :slight_smile:

I like reading civil arguments about what would realistically happen in fictional worlds.
It’s quite interesting to see the different philosophies at work.

Same! I’m a little bit of a philosophy nerd, it gives you a great framework for understanding the world and the power dynamics that control it, from this perspective i love to take these frameworks and apply them to fictional worlds that interest me and see how they apply, philosophies and ideologies change, etc.

For example ui’ve been thinking a bit about religion in the C:DDA world, i have been wondering if with the fall of the Old World will it’s gods die, too? and if so, what comes next? Like we can certainly say the moral paradigms that come with judao-christian religions are out the window in a world where the dead walk and violence is very much a part of life.

1 Like

Hmm… Seeing as though you, the player, are able to put together the lore from objects ingame alone, it would stand to reason others might be able to put it together as well.
Something like that would most likely happen in the mid to late game, perhaps that would even be the reason they want you to assassinate members of the old guard.

1 Like

One look at the “chimera” book or even a couple of the computer records should be enough to give a sane person pause but that assumes enough people are breaking into labs, hacking computer terminals/finding the correct reports, making it out alive and then taking the risk of sharing what they’ve found.

There is also evidence in the game about people continuing with the research and appling it to people, one of the bandit camps I found had mutagen, books, ingredients and groups of caged CHUDs (unless that’s part of a mod I guess)

2 Likes

Yeah, I kind of meant like a quest to enter a lab from them and bring back some documents like said book.

Maybe even splitting the quest path to make some of those mutagens as well.

1 Like

I’m personally not sure waht is and isn’t am od when it comes to buildings, i want to say the bandit camps are a mod building but i’m not certain. Most of my information is just going from the Design Doc on the website.

As mentioned though, this shuold be more lategame stuff and probably more the realm of the librarians or the the Lab faction, having said that, if these things are developed in thos factions i’d likely add some quests for this faction to find out that stuff too. :slight_smile:

Do either of you have any ideas for early game quests or characters? I’m Currently writing a quest line that will allow an NPC to forge the FMCNotes in the hopes of writing more missions that involve interaction witho ther factions… At this point all mine for this building are fetch-quests too signal that there is still a lot of work left to do on this building and they simply don’t (yet) have any confident scavengers. :slight_smile:

A Late game quest of getting mutagens is definitely something i’d be interested in, this faction are generally very mutant friendly and i was thinking that maybe one of the characters that is a mutant will have heard of these mutagens from a surviving scientist or a book and wants to further his mutations.

1 Like

It sort of depends on what you consider a fetch quest, currently there are only really 3 types of quest (or a combination of steps of the three types that form a single quest) you can really do, fetch something, kill something, meet something. It also depends on what role you see a players survivor taking up in the group late game, the way you describe the faction doesn’t really leave much room to “move up the ranks” so to speak.

Yep, I dont mind so much the lots of MGOAL_FIND_ITEM quests, my main gripe with it is only that we cannot create missions that allow for multiple items at once. For example it seems a bit rough to ask someone to go pick up a bunch of wood and then afterwards be like ‘Oh, I need a half-dozen nails too… Back out with you!’’ If that makes sense?

Yea, there isn’t really ranks with this faction, They’ll start to trust you more, build more spaces and camps with your help and hopefully eventually allow you access to there resources, etc.

Can you relay them in one block but set them as mutiple entrees on your mission log?
One mission for wood, one mission for nails but you pick them both up in the same conversation?

Good advice, i’ll give it a try! :slight_smile:

I had a couple of ideas depending on if you can set a mission as outlined above, one would be for wooden cart wheels or banded wooden cart wheels + wooden frames or folding wooden frames to please the “Primitivists” so they can build carts. Probably a lowish level quest as the materials are easy to come across and at most you’ll need fab 4, you could follow this up with a bounty on specific books in the fab/survival chain as a mid level quest since that will probably require some searching.
Another fetch quest with a bit of flavour could be to outfit the factions hardline anti govenemnt members with military grade equipment for a milita force, 10 army jackets/pants/combat boots and helms for the first part then some type of common military grade rifle/magazine/ammo type for the second part, probably something in the .223 line of guns. You’d want this as a mid to high level quest since none of this stuff can be crafted and it will take a lot of searching and/or breaking into some fairly dangerous places to aquire.

1 Like

Order without any authority present happens all the time, actually.

We can take this to PMs if you like, I already said I wouldn’t continue this here.