New armor

I had an idea for a near-future type of armor. A vest made out of pockets of a kind of powered reactive gel. It’s less encumbering than a kevlar vest, but provides similar protection as long as you have a powered UPS. Without power, it’s alright protection, in a thick clothing/leather kind of way.

It’s never a bad thing to think of more uses for the UPS, as far as I’m concerned.

Learning from what NatGeo has to offer, and with artificial, industry-spawned carbon diamond structure, a century or so time from now the above would lead in the “indestructibles” market, while energy repelling and absorbing shields might be more of a military insight, only regarding energy-blast based weaponry.
So, Matrix-like bullet stop-picking could be enforced with a glove that aims a forcefield of sorts. My thoughts are more though with CataDDA kinetic-type bullet stopping and scraping off materials and technologies prior to the armageddon.

Yeah, and they’ve been in GURPS for a while so we should be able to whip up some stats. Support. Remind me and I’ll fetch my 3d/Revised basic book.

Not only would it make great armor, but it also will give us gigantic genetically engineered angry arachnids with bulletproof spider webs to kill after we clear all those boring labs.

Not only would it make great armor, but it also will give us gigantic genetically engineered angry arachnids with bulletproof spider webs to kill after we clear all those boring labs.[/quote]

Or being able to harvest Web’d tiles and weave one’s own, perhaps with Lab machinery?

Spider silk is though, but it’s also fairly elastic. I’m not sure it’d stop the bullet rather than put a layer of silk around it before it perfore you.

Thats how Kevlar and similar fiber-based armor systems work- they “catch” the projectile, spreading the impact over a wider area and reducing the force from enough to go through you to a welt or bruise. That’s why they only work on weaker rounds- something like 5.56 FMJ would just cut right through it. For this reason the military and SWAT units favor “hard” armor- ceramic plates inside Kevlar plate carriers. These shatter when bullets hit them, dispersing the force and usually deflecting the bullet.

Yeah, but spider silk is more elastic than Kevlar. Toughness is defined as the total energy you need to break a strand. Spider sil is tough because it elongate a lot before breaking, as such you need a lot of energy to break it. So yeah, your spider silk bulletproof vest won’t let any bulet go through, but it’ll bend around them until bullet and vest are both stuck somewhere in your precious, delicates, internal organs.

What about space suits?

Shit, dude, you just deserved a high-five from me. Also, it should be very rare loot in the craters.

Then we also need clown suit, aerospace engineering rig and stun batons. And air canisters.

Shit, dude, you just deserved a high-five from me. Also, it should be very rare loot in the craters.

Then we also need clown suit, aerospace engineering rig and stun batons. And air canisters.

And red security jumpsuits.

More like shit-curity

And Harm-batons.

Ok, whatever, enough SS13

If we’re going to add a spacesuit then it should have very high environmental defense and also possibility to use air from the canisters for full protection from all that shit.

You know what would be cool?

Hazmat Suit+ Scrap metal+ Hammer+ Alcohol = Armored Hazmat Suit

Why the alcohol?

Because you need to disinfect it… or maybe because no one would think about armoring hazmat suit in normal state

Ohhhhhhhhhhh.

We’ve already got something along the lines of armored light hazmat gear: survivor suits.

They’re high end craftable armor. Get your tailoring and fabrication skills up high enough and you can make them out of body armor, raincoats, storage gear, and some raw materials.

What about knee pads and elbow pads. They could add some more protection and would especially negate damage from falls.