Needful things (simple additions to improve the game)

The ability to make ice? I love the mini-fridge, but it can be so involved getting a vehicle together for the boon of preserving raw products. It could be temperature dependent (provided that it is below freezing you can make ice). It’ll always be accessible since labs are chronically below freezing, though there will be a barrier to entry. It could function like electric power–specifically lightstrips–where once it’s activated (created in this instance) it begins using charge. An icebox can be made which can hold charges like the charcoal forge and smoking rack. Additional charges can be used to make iced drinks which provide a morale boost like having a hot meal. There is a degree of realism and involvement that can be further expounded upon, though this would be a good place to start.

Personally, I plan on spending the whole day out in the winter chill here soon. I’m thinking about bringing along a thermos of curry so I don’t have to leave the area that I’ll be staying. I would like to see a thermos that could hold beverages and help them maintain their heat longer.

Also, I second the descriptions in construction. What the hell is a table for, anyway?

Vehicle tables or constructed ones? Constructed ones are just, well, a table. Decoration and imagination. Vehicular tables are just imagination.

On the subject of ice, Ice Houses for long-term storage of ice. Though they would need sawdust or something similar…

Ha, I was making a joke. Tables are obviously used for sleeping under, to keep the rain off of your head.

Another thing that I can think of is more traps, specifically designed for hunting.

I remember when snares were an item. One thing that I like to imagine is setting up a bunch of traps, going to do my own thing, and then checking them once a day to see if they got anything. I don’t think/feel that setting up nailboard traps, caltrops, crossbow, or shotgun traps in the wild is really “appropriate.” These kinds of traps seem more defensive than for hunting. Bear traps seem appropriate, but if the animal survives, doesn’t it take the trap with it? You could require survival as a means of learning/becoming proficient at the recipe. I can primarily think of snares and dead-falls as particularly effective.

Pits are already in usage, but I don’t know how well they can be used against creatures (I have never personally tried). If animals avoid pits, then pitfall camouflage might be used.

If you want great trapping mechanics, look at Unreal World. It would be lovely to have trapping mechanics like that in C.:D.D.A. but, ehh, I am not sure that it is enough of a focus of the game to be worth it. I guess you could try to have something that had herds in addition to hordes, and some sort of simulated off-screen activity with percentage rates based around nearby terrain, but, ehh, it is a lot of effort for what is, really, a combat-focused game where there should be plenty of meat of you go looking for it… Still, there is no reason not to set up a trap-fence and try to drive dogs into it…

Should gasoline and diesel go bad as in real life? Could see bio-fuel and electric get more use once a game has been going for a few IG years.

And that’s part of why I re-implemented snares in More Survival Tools. It was dummied out due to being of questionable use, but shifting it to being mod content makes it less objectionable.

If it does than there needs to be ways to atleast prevent it, and possibly automated storage facilities for it.

Or, hell, the ability to use veggie oils or high-proof booze in modified engines.

Why do we have to eat cereals raw, like some animal raised in a barn?

For the more sophisticated conoisseur, I’d propose a recipe which takes wheat cereals, sugary cereals or corn cereals as well as milk and gives a bowl of breakfast cereals.

[quote=“Malaxxor, post:2708, topic:5570”]Why do we have to eat cereals raw, like some animal raised in a barn?

For the more sophisticated conoisseur, I’d propose a recipe which takes wheat cereals, sugary cereals or corn cereals as well as milk and gives a bowl of breakfast cereals.[/quote]

Cute as that’d be, good luck getting any milk to eat it with, unless you hoard powdered milk or canned milk. ;w;

Not sure how to force an item to spawn in a bowl…

Well, there are already soups that need you to have a empty container to store them before you can craft them…

And about the milk, sure that’s extremly rare, but that’s also a problem for a lot of other recipes, notably the recipes to craft hard cheese.

We need to be able to domesticate and then milk cows, goats, and similar…

And then we can have Cream! Butter! Fried-Eye-Egyptians*!

*fried bread with an egg in it. Normally fried in butter.

Herbivores are a good choice, but it is basically where the word “mammal” comes from. So domesticating and milking bears should be the way that true survivors get their milk.

Could you include a bowl and spoon in the recipe and have it degrade into a bowl and spoon when it is expended?

Self-aware should tell me the health value of my foodstuffs.

This one is more simple, but why do forks and spoons and whatnot take up as much space as a tin can? I hate the idea of eating food without a utensil. My thunder gauntlets must remain clean…

Why not make forks and spoons and whatnot take up no space and barely any weight, and having a fork/spoon increases your eating time? I feel like that would be a neat feature.

This one is more simple, but why do forks and spoons and whatnot take up as much space as a tin can? I hate the idea of eating food without a utensil. My thunder gauntlets must remain clean…

Why not make forks and spoons and whatnot take up no space and barely any weight, and having a fork/spoon increases your eating time? I feel like that would be a neat feature.[/quote]
Maybe decrease eating time?

Traits who like eating things with hands/with utensils?

Why not make forks and spoons and whatnot take up no space and barely any weight, and having a fork/spoon increases your eating time? I feel like that would be a neat feature.[/quote]
Maybe decrease eating time?[/quote]

Meant decrease, whoops.

Maybe decrease eating time?[/quote]

One could argue that shoveling food into your mouth in handfuls is faster than cutting it into individual bites. And soups go into containers, so you can just chug that down…So perhaps he was correct the first time :wink:

Be able to disassemble the monomolecular blade so you can wield a really sharp knife. Holding the thing without gloves will slice your hands away.

IIRC the blade is made of incredibly durable material. Disassembling it would require some laser shit.