Needful Things: The Discussion Topic

If you’ve got an opinion on something in Kevin’s idea-posting thread, why not kick it around here? That way we can sort out issues with the ideas, get them into implementable shape, and all whilst people stay focused on generating 'em there.

I say the ideas should be sorted a bit, what is out of the scope, what can be implemented, what can be implemented soonish.

Why don’t we implement something in the same vein as Bay12’s Eternal Suggestion Voting?

Great idea. I’ve been wanting something like this for a while (I never knew of the ESV system actually!) and it’d make a heck of a lot of sense. I know more and more people seem to be coming to the forums with some coding skills (heck, even I can at a pinch) but it’s disheartening to start work on stuff and find it not make the cut/be the right kind of thing. I sincerely believe that if there was some sort of voting or list it would encourage a lot of people to get working on things.

The point of the thread is “specific things that can be done quickly and without significant code reworking”, IIRC.

I know the fuel truck can be done with existing resources: take the flatbed chassis and add a lot of the External Tanks on the back.

Medical-grade bionics could be implemented but the difficult part is working out what they’d be, whether the player would want to install them and why, etc. Needs its own thread, but is achievable.

1x1 buildings can be easily accommodated in JSON. John Candlebury’s pretty good at those. Muti-tile buildings require fiddling around with the mapgen code. In any event, I’ve got a thread up for standardizing map colors and getting a legend together so people can have a shared expectation for a brown < means: we’d need to get that sorted at the same time.

Telephone poles may or may not make sense lore-wise (more economical, long-term, to bury the wires) but they’re likely straightforward in terms of coding. Solar-powered LEDs might justify street lights, but that’s its own thread.

Underground hostiles are their own thread. I agree that we need more, but in order to make underground bases worthwhile the player needs to be able to make “safe” or at least “spawn-unlikely” areas. Same problem as with taking over a Mansion: it’s so large that critters will spawn inside it, so you have to wall off areas you’re not constantly using.

Hoping that helps.

A way to change amount of tiles that are being updated every turn.

[quote=“KA101, post:5, topic:5613”]Underground hostiles are their own thread. I agree that we need more, but in order to make underground bases worthwhile the player needs to be able to make “safe” or at least “spawn-unlikely” areas. Same problem as with taking over a Mansion: it’s so large that critters will spawn inside it, so you have to wall off areas you’re not constantly using.

Hoping that helps.[/quote]

Actually I think we are safe on that regard, when I made the underground dungeon, critters would only spawn on tiles that were defined as either subway/sewer by mapen So proven that the survivor keeps the home base separate from those, she/he should be safe. Well that’s at least what I noticed, could very well be wrong.

If someone throws me Ideas I could make a few more houses actually. Kinda more interested in seeing if I can make basements with the Json system, if I can I will probably add a Gaming, hacker, and drug den basement (as well as some more mundane basements cluttered with useless stuff: furniture, old dishes, trash, a drill or such.)

What sort of ideas?

Do you mean like for types of houses?

1. Jacuzzi Basement with swimmer zombies

2. Live-in basement for adult child; set up as a living area with bathroom, fridge/etc.

3. Earth sheltered house (in woods) - entire house is a basement. Not an LMOE shelter though.

4. Inventor’s Basement (shop/science stuff to tinker with. Perhaps a rare MAD SCIENTIST basement)

5. Dog Breeder’s basement. (filled with dogs/zombie dogs)

6. Hoarder’s basement. (Not filled with useful stuff; things like piles of junk, 400 nails, piles and piles of trash and old clothing)

7. Microbrewer basement.

8. Cat Lady Basement (filled with dozens of cats and cat food)

Ideas like that, John?

[quote=“secretfire, post:8, topic:5613”]What sort of ideas?

Do you mean like for types of houses?

1. Jacuzzi Basement with swimmer zombies

2. Live-in basement for adult child; set up as a living area with bathroom, fridge/etc.

3. Earth sheltered house (in woods) - entire house is a basement. Not an LMOE shelter though.

4. Inventor’s Basement (shop/science stuff to tinker with. Perhaps a rare MAD SCIENTIST basement)

5. Dog Breeder’s basement. (filled with dogs/zombie dogs)

6. Hoarder’s basement. (Not filled with useful stuff; things like piles of junk, 400 nails, piles and piles of trash and old clothing)

7. Microbrewer basement.

8. Cat Lady Basement (filled with dozens of cats and cat food)

Ideas like that, John?[/quote]

Yeah like those, was actually thinking about houses, but basements work well too.

EDIT: will take me a while as I familiarize myself with the map gen files, cause suddenly, I feel the urge to make the basements slightly modular.

The problem with house ideas that there are not enough NPCs yet for a number of ideas. I mean, you’d expect a number of different ways for people to die; and each house, ideally would tell a slightly different (randomized) tale. All these people had to go somewhere, and they’d all go out in some way. Currently all the houses are just magically empty, mostly.

I don’t know if these are possible, but a few more ideas to chew over:

1. Bloody House 1 - windows all broken in, blood smearing walls/floor, no sign of people
  2. Bloody House 2- windows all broken in, blood smearing walls/floor, human corpses, no zombies (suicide? Something else?)
  3. Bloody House 3 - windows all broken in, blood smearing walls/floor, zombies present, no corpses
  4. Bloody House 4 - windows all broken in, blood smearing walls/floor, furniture shot up, zombie corpses, human corpses
  5. Nursery House - one dead human adult corpse, many dead children corpses, lots of sleeping pills.
  6. Nursery House 2 - as per above, but with child zombies and no sleeping pills.
  7. Last Stand House - some windows broken in. Zombies inside all but one room, chance of survivor spawning in one borded up room.
  8. As per #7, but with a dead human corpse in the boarded up room, and no food anywhere in the room at all.
  9. Family House Suicide 1 - two adult corpses, one (or two) child corpses, lots of pills of some sort.
  10. Family House Suicide 2 - two adult corpses, one (or two) child corpses, one gun.

Uh…sorry, thats all I’ve got. If you need more ideas, I’m happy to help.

More basement possibilities are a good thing: we need basements that are more or less “average”. Laundry machines, water heaters, etc would be worthwhile.

That would be a great thing.

About houses & basements: Oh yeah, it’s easy to do and amazing as hell!