Need help in my Let's Play Series

Hey everyone!

I hope you are having a great day, I have been playing CDDA for a few weeks now and have started a Let’s Play series. Was hoping to get some input on how to improve my gameplay. I have a lot to learn and was thinking this would be a great place to get some feedback. I look forward to any critiques!

Let’s Play series link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzMmTuRLL2U

Ah, interesting. Would’ve been Fun to have seen what build you’re using (experimental is good for you) and what mods. o3o

:slight_smile: Like you mentioned, I have an episode for that too. It’s more of a supplemental thing in case people are curious. Can I transfer my saved games to the latest experimental builds?

As I discovered afterward. Doh.

And you should be able to. Some of the unofficial mods borked due to the recent magazine additions, but you aren’t using them so that won’t be an issue.

Of course as always, I always keep the last version used and the save, copy it over to the new version, then only delete the old build and save after verifying that it loads without issue.

Good to know I’ll definitely keep a back up of my saved games. Also was wondering if there are more recent versions of the sound file? I have been playing with a pack that is a few months old and havent seen anything about more recent updates to that!

Not sure, I’ve never really tried the sound pack admittedly.

neato

Heh. You have the “Let me sleep just 5 more minutes” voice. Unforch I’m on too much caffeine to focus and scrutinize your gameplay now.

There’s a youtuber named SilverDragonLord who, I think, makes the best CDDA letsplays (disregarding some derping and inattentiveness). He plays fast, which I’m accustomed to. I think that not very many people can do what he does, which is fast CDDA gameplay and simultaneous fluent commentary. If there’s someone to look up to in this area, it’s him.

Another youtuber named Aavak played pretty well back in the day (with solid commentary). I didn’t like his choice of tileset though.

A guy named RyconRoleplays aims to perform, well, roleplaying stuff. I guess he’s decent at that, and he’s got his audience, but I find his playstyle insufferably slow to my taste. As far as I’m concerned, he could do serious voice acting.

I mean, I’ve watched quite a few CDDA letsplayers. Most of them mumble and/or they have a bad mic, so uhhh you might want to put some energy into your playing/commenting. Your audio quality is good, so at least you have that covered. As far as I can see, you have all the hope in the world. My advice is always that… just… try to be entertaining. Try to do something really insane, glorious or grandiose. :smiley:

Get into glorious trouble and get out of the said glorious trouble with grace. Like, build a huge vehicle with a ton of guns and wreck up a zombie-infested city. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player wreak glorious havoc in a CDDA letsplay. I just might state that most CDDA players play too carefully, but then again, witnessing someone take pointless and unnecessary risks is off-putting, too.

I’d also suggest performing any lengthy house/vehicle building projects off-camera. I always skip 1-5 minutes forward if I suspect that the upcoming minutes are going to be spent on something menial. But DO give a quick tour about the major features of the house/car afterwards on-camera. And even though I say ‘do this’ or ‘do that’ on-camera, or off-camera, record everything regardless and cut out the bad parts later, or simply start recording again if you feel that the menial phase is being interrupted by something that’s worth recording/watching.

I said to “be entertaining”, but that’s always subjective. Some people want a YouTube channel that’s like background radio noise. Others might want to witness some seriously skilled gameplay - a ninja at work. Some might just want to have severe lolz. Funniest letsplayer IMO? SplatterCatGaming. Hilarious and intelligent, and I’m often blown away by his commentary and wit. The guy used to be a radio jockey BTW. He’s never done CDDA though.

[quote=“BeerBeer, post:8, topic:11331”]Heh. You have the “Let me sleep just 5 more minutes” voice. Unforch I’m on too much caffeine to focus and scrutinize your gameplay now.

There’s a youtuber named SilverDragonLord who, I think, makes the best CDDA letsplays (disregarding some derping and inattentiveness). He plays fast, which I’m accustomed to. I think that not very many people can do what he does, which is fast CDDA gameplay and simultaneous fluent commentary. If there’s someone to look up to in this area, it’s him.

Another youtuber named Aavak played pretty well back in the day (with solid commentary). I didn’t like his choice of tileset though.

A guy named RyconRoleplays aims to perform, well, roleplaying stuff. I guess he’s decent at that, and he’s got his audience, but I find his playstyle insufferably slow to my taste. As far as I’m concerned, he could do serious voice acting.

I mean, I’ve watched quite a few CDDA letsplayers. Most of them mumble and/or they have a bad mic, so uhhh you might want to put some energy into your playing/commenting. Your audio quality is good, so at least you have that covered. As far as I can see, you have all the hope in the world. My advice is always that… just… try to be entertaining. Try to do something really insane, glorious or grandiose. :smiley:

Get into glorious trouble and get out of the said glorious trouble with grace. Like, build a huge vehicle with a ton of guns and wreck up a zombie-infested city. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a player wreak glorious havoc in a CDDA letsplay. I just might state that most CDDA players play too carefully, but then again, witnessing someone take pointless and unnecessary risks is off-putting, too.

I’d also suggest performing any lengthy house/vehicle building projects off-camera. I always skip 1-5 minutes forward if I suspect that the upcoming minutes are going to be spent on something menial. But DO give a quick tour about the major features of the house/car afterwards on-camera. And even though I say ‘do this’ or ‘do that’ on-camera, or off-camera, record everything regardless and cut out the bad parts later, or simply start recording again if you feel that the menial phase is being interrupted by something that’s worth recording/watching.

I said to “be entertaining”, but that’s always subjective. Some people want a YouTube channel that’s like background radio noise. Others might want to witness some seriously skilled gameplay - a ninja at work. Some might just want to have severe lolz. Funniest letsplayer IMO? SplatterCatGaming. Hilarious and intelligent, and I’m often blown away by his commentary and wit. The guy used to be a radio jockey BTW. He’s never done CDDA though.[/quote]

Haha yea I am a little jet lagged from my trip to Europe and I am trying to stay a bit more up beat! I will check out some of these guys. I have watched a lot of Silverdragonlord and he was the one to get me into CDDA. I have a lot to learn I think about both CDDA and YT. Thanks for the heads up!

Ah, it is understandable though. I know I’d definitely be even worse if I ever did a let’s play. XP

Yea I just had some problem with the experimental build and my save file killing my character :frowning: I am going to start another play through. Someone had suggested a statsthroughskills playthrough… any thoughts? I am concerned it would make my character super op after awhile. I just hope that it doesnt level my stats too quickly. How does it level that stats?

Ouch. It does let you become fairly beefy after a while, but at least recent the biggest “become a living god of war immediately” exploit has been fixed. It’s one stat point every 3rd, 6ths, and 9th level, and each skill being associated with a different stat.

I’m also half-tempted to suggest giving Arcana mod a try. Or for something a bit less insane, now that shields are a thing in Medieval Stuff mod… XP

EDIT: In any case, sadly my internet is too much of a potato to watch many videos, so I’d have to wait until I’m out and about on the laptop. ;w;

Hmm interesting, that could be pretty good actually. I will give statsthroughskills a shot and maybe try the medieval weapons and armor mod as well. I think I will wait until next play through for the arcana. Actually not sure what that one does… is it magic?

Ah, nice. And yeah, mainly adds magic weapons and other items to craft or find. Though it also includes a skill as well, due to realizing that defining new a skill in a mod actually works. o3o