Need Help! I messed up pretty bad

So, I got cocky and went into a slime pit. I survived, just barely, but now I have two useless arms. I don’t think they are broken, but they both have no health. I need to know how to heal my arms. Bandages and first aid kits wont work as I am not allowed to use them on my arms. Thank in advance.

Sounds broken. If you have the right medical skill you can craft arm splints. It’ll take a couple of in game days before they start to heal so hopefully you got a safe place with food, water and books to hold you over while you heal.

There really should be a broken limb status that shows up when you have a broken limb. It kinda seems half-implemented now.

You can also find a terminal at the hospital to fix you up, I think.

Good point.

Like two people in this thread have explained, you have two options.

1: Craft/find Arm-splints (leg splints dont count), and keep them on for a few days (depending on your general health, it can take a week or more.) After a while you’ll get a message saying something along the lines of ‘Your left/right arm has begun to heal.’, at that point you can use first aid kits/bandages to increase the limb health back to green.

I’m not 100% sure whether carrying two arm-splints means both arms are healed at the same time, I’m reasonably sure that only one arm/leg heals whilst the other one stays crippled until the other one is un-crippled.

To be able to craft splints you need at least survival level 1 (and First aid?), luckily the resources needed are extremely common.

2: Find a stem-cell treatment console in hospitals. This also fixes all (mutations?) bad traits like Asthmatic and short-sightedness. It does have a small chance of giving a bad result leaving you in bad doo-doo, and well… Hospitals are death traps unless you know what you’re doing.

Best thing to do is find/craft some splints and just hole up in your little outpost until your arms are back to health. Whatever it’s worth, be ‘glad’ it’s your arms and not your legs, because I had two crippled legs (yay, caustics), and they pretty much make you extremely slow and an easy target for anything but crawlers.

I'm not 100% sure whether carrying two arm-splints means both arms are healed at the same time, I'm reasonably sure that only one arm/leg heals whilst the other one stays crippled until the other one is un-crippled.
It heals both at once. Both my arms got shredded by lab turrets and they both started to heal at the same time after a day of wearing a splint.

Now that we have arm/leg laterality, would adding that to splints affect whether they heal both arms? :V

[quote=“noble, post:7, topic:10849”]

I’m not 100% sure whether carrying two arm-splints means both arms are healed at the same time, I’m reasonably sure that only one arm/leg heals whilst the other one stays crippled until the other one is un-crippled.

It heals both at once. Both my arms got shredded by lab turrets and they both started to heal at the same time after a day of wearing a splint.[/quote]

I had a different experience when both my legs were crippled by a zombie hulk/ shocker brute/ survivor (me) three way sandwich. Put on leg splint, waited a couple of days, one healed and I waited and waited on the other. Nothing. Finally took off the leg splint, put it back on and waited a few more days. Finally the other started to heal.
Not sure if I could have just left the splint on and waited the same amount of days but I don’t think so. YMMV

Thanks for all the help. The problem was that both of my arms were apparently broken. There was no sign of this in my stats. The solution was to craft ONE arm splint, wear it (not apply), and wait in my armored truck in the middle of nowhere for about a week until both of my arms healed enough to use first aid kits. Thanks all of you again.

Basically, the sign that a limb is broken is that it gets down to : hp and hits 0.
If it doesn’t let you use a healing item on a limb that low, time to pull out the splints.
“the no real notification” is part of the Fun: your character only knows that its not healing and hurts a lot.
If you ignore it for long enough you do start getting hint messages as your character figures out that it might not just be sprained.

My record for worst survived injuries was the first time my (then aspiring) melee master won a one-on-one fight against a zombie hulk: two broken arms, a broken leg, and everything else \ or below. Did a lot of reading while that healed. Hooray for canned soup!

I still need to test whether we can make splints lateral. That should be Fun.

Also, artifacts with the heal effect (or gilded aegis in arcana mod) might affect broken limbs.

Maybe this post is better on the bad ideas thread, but it would be fun to have a craftable bootleg stem cell treatment thingy available. Just inject on a broken arm and it gets healed! Or you get horrible pains as you get three misshapen arms that turn to ash after a few minutes… which gives more pain!