Mutant Clothing (Unreleased)

This mod aims to provide casual clothing (for roleplay purposes), light armor (Leather, bone) Medium Armor (Upgraded Leather, Chittian, Kevlar), and Heavy Armor (Steel, Powered, and beyond) For mutated players. After a small amount of discussion in this thread and an attempt to build a different version I’ve reduced the scale to what is proposed above. The armor will be balanced out as best I can swing to accommodate for your character more or less jury rigging two sets of the same object into one big one. (Mostly translating to an about 95% increase in weight, size in inventory, and in some cases encumberment, and volume.)

These assorted recipes will be added to various existing books, as well as automatically added as the player gains skill in particular sets. (EG at the same level you can make Cargo Pants you’ll be able to make “XL” Cargo Pants.) I’ll also be looking into a more fitting term for mutant tailored clothing than “XL”

To an extent, this will probably be viewed as unbalanced still, so use it at your own discretion.

[Spoiler=The Before]
Prior to the method sketched out above I had another view for this mod, making XL versions of everything in the game. I, slower than I care to admit, came to realize that nearly doubling the number of items in not only probably wasn’t worth the effort but probably was a bad idea as well. Not to mention the absolutely absurd number of items was quickly decreasing the number of ‘quality’ items were going to be in the mod, as well as having several hundred “Jacket + Jacket = XL Jacket” recipes seemed pretty tacky.

So I changed the scope of the mod, though I may be giving a few nicer things in return ;P[/spoiler]

And makes gear-limitations a nonissue. So much for one kinda handy balancing factor with mutations.

Hence why I’m putting together a mod rather than a PR. …Should probably include that in the description. That said I’ve found a whopping three items (so far, currently at the clown suit in the armor list) that cover the hands so far and most aren’t designed for winter usage. While I understand there are limitations for balance reasons, with the recent changes to the weather system cold-weather gear that fits mutants is kind of needed.

Personally, I’d also like to be able to use Power Armor, Hazmat Suits, and other protective gear. Scales/Fur/Feathers don’t do much in the way of radiation, bullets, or fire.

Hence why I’m putting together a mod rather than a PR. …Should probably include that in the description. That said I’ve found a whopping three items (so far, currently at the clown suit in the armor list) that cover the hands so far and most aren’t designed for winter usage. While I understand there are limitations for balance reasons, with the recent changes to the weather system cold-weather gear that fits mutants is kind of needed.

Personally, I’d also like to be able to use Power Armor, Hazmat Suits, and other protective gear. Scales/Fur/Feathers don’t do much in the way of radiation, bullets, or fire.[/quote]

I’ve nothing against heavy-duty fur wraps. So far as I know they’re held pending the stable.

Thinking about things from a balance perspective, would breaking down things like the Power Armor into it’s assorted parts (PA Helmet, PA Breastplate, PA Grieves, PA Gauntlets, PA Boots) be an acceptable balanced solution? I’m of the belief that with sufficient skill in the appropriate field(s) someone would be able to at least rig a makeshift mutant PA, we can rig functional mini-nukes from scrap in the game I find it a little farfetched that armored gloves aren’t possible.

That said when the content lift unfreezes I might look into making mutation specific clothing. (EG bags for thick tails, vine-melee weapons… and so on)

[quote=“EkarusRyndren, post:5, topic:7811”]Thinking about things from a balance perspective, would breaking down things like the Power Armor into it’s assorted parts (PA Helmet, PA Breastplate, PA Grieves, PA Gauntlets, PA Boots) be an acceptable balanced solution? I’m of the belief that with sufficient skill in the appropriate field(s) someone would be able to at least rig a makeshift mutant PA, we can rig functional mini-nukes from scrap in the game I find it a little farfetched that armored gloves aren’t possible.

That said when the content lift unfreezes I might look into making mutation specific clothing. (EG bags for thick tails, vine-melee weapons… and so on)[/quote]

It’s been considered but Lotsa Work. More problematically, no, the design spec notes that powered armor needs more tools than are available to the survivor: machine tools and/or advanced chemistry, etc. So no making XL powered armor, sorry.

There is also “salvaged power armor”, which might be reasonable to resize, and isn’t off the table in terms of modification.

And isn’t powered. :wink: But fair enough.

I’ve gotta ask, mutations like antennae, antlers, beak, hooves, large talons, and others make up for the owner’s inability to wear a hazmat suit, power armor, a briefcase, holster, and other items? Because frankly I don’t see the balance there. Sure, large talons give you a nice melee attack against an unarmored target and point blank range. But if that target has even the slightest amount of armor it’s ineffective. and I don’t see Antennae stopping you from getting an unhealthy dose of radiation.

I can see how “TAAAANK” and “Insane Strength” might make up for not being able to wear an MBR, but I don’t see how “Toe Talons” make up for not being able to wear Leather Boots. Maybe a better solution would be several tiers of “doesn’t fit” claws are a bit easier to work around than hands the size of a human’s torso. (even though given time and sufficient skill a mutant could make their own gear, humans themselves are a prime example.)

Anyway, home from work finally. Back to work until I go to sleep. XD

The balance isn’t per mutation, it is overall. I.e. you may have become extra strong, able to see in the dark and resist elements better, but along with this you’ve also got talons and horns that get in the way.

So it’s not Toe Talons that make up for inability to wear boots – it’s the good mutations that you got along with Toe Talons.

[quote=“Murphy, post:10, topic:7811”]The balance isn’t per mutation, it is overall. I.e. you may have become extra strong, able to see in the dark and resist elements better, but along with this you’ve also got talons and horns that get in the way.

So it’s not Toe Talons that make up for inability to wear boots – it’s the good mutations that you got along with Toe Talons.[/quote]

The entirety of most maturation trees don’t make up for you not being able to wear any armor. An extra 50 HP, seeing in the dark, better cold-resistance, etc isn’t going to help you out when you face someone or something with a gun larger than a 22. Or when you decide to raid a vaguely irradiated area and can’t wear a hazmat suit because the gloves are too small, or your antenna prevent you from wearing the bubble suit.

I can kinda understand not being allowed to wear PA, or a T-Shirt as say a bear, your HP is nearly doubled by the end of the tree, still won’t do much in the way of bullets or radiation but I can kinda understand it. But, whatever. My gripes with the system are why I’m making this.

Question, is it possible to alter code in a mod? Specifically adding new flags?

I generally try to balance mutations on their own or with prereqs/further ones in their specific line. (End-stage Slime perception is kickass, but you had to go through Sensory Disintegration to get it, for example.)

Categories as a whole, I generally aim to make them good at certain things and not so good at others.

Ekarus: there’s a PR for oversize hazmat gear already but it’s Frozen thanks to the impending stable.

[quote=“KA101, post:12, topic:7811”]I generally try to balance mutations on their own or with prereqs/further ones in their specific line. (End-stage Slime perception is kickass, but you had to go through Sensory Disintegration to get it, for example.)

Categories as a whole, I generally aim to make them good at certain things and not so good at others.

Ekarus: there’s a PR for oversize hazmat gear already but it’s Frozen thanks to the impending stable.[/quote]

Alrighty, screw it then. Gonna wait for the content to unfreeze and then look at what’s already in and what I was planning to add then continue.

Theoretically maybe, but in practice no.
However we’re not against supporting flags in the main code that are only used in mods.

Theoretically maybe, but in practice no.
However we’re not against supporting flags in the main code that are only used in mods.[/quote]

Eh, it was more a “Well I can fiddle about and get feedback on additions (Belts for tails and so on) before the content freeze is over” but I’m gonna have to wait. No big deal.

So can i has a tail bow tie with a stilish tag plox? :smiley: