Moving characters between worlds

I personally don’t like the finality of death in this game (so much time wasted! And I tend to die from stupid things like underestimating the blast radius of grenades, etc.). I also don’t like the idea of dying, only to respawn without penalty. So I got the idea that whenever my character dies, she respawns in a new world, in the next season, without any of her gear, but with her skills.

This may not be possible, that that is the ideal situation. I can see where the saves are, but which files should I copy across to have that happen? Hopefully then, every day at midnight (or as soon after), I copy a backup of the save, and then if I die, I munch the backup to plop me in a completely new alien world (hoping that I don’t spawn inside a tree), and (if I still have my gear), I drop it.

not to sound like a dick, but a bit of google searching cant hurt
www.smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=12119.0

Thanks. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work as it requires another character in the new world to ‘take the place of’ to ‘have a safe place to land’

However, a bit of tinkering, and it turns out the save system in Cataclysm is super robust. You can just copy one file (*.sav) into the new world, and it will copy the character. Then it is just a matter of dropping everything, and what I wanted to happen is done!

(Not fully tested. Unexpected behaviour may result)

It does work. Your transfer survivor doesn’t replace the other character, the transfer utility just uses them for finding the right location to drop them into the new world. Just create a dummy/test character you can delete afterword.

Moving the .sav can work, but it might result in your character spawning inside of walls or a river.

[quote=“digitCruncher, post:3, topic:13297”]Thanks. Unfortunately, this doesn’t work as it requires another character in the new world to ‘take the place of’ to ‘have a safe place to land’

However, a bit of tinkering, and it turns out the save system in Cataclysm is super robust. You can just copy one file (*.sav) into the new world, and it will copy the character. Then it is just a matter of dropping everything, and what I wanted to happen is done!

(Not fully tested. Unexpected behaviour may result)[/quote]
I fail to see how this is a problem ? just generate a new character in the world you want to use, and use the transfer utility, after that you can just delete it

Ah, you see, that is what I wanted: To appear in a truly random location, rather than a pre-scripted location. So the downside of appearing in trees / rivers etc. is not a huge issue.

A maybe helpful detail, your .sav file gets copied to the /graveyard folder on death, not deleted, with some light editing you could just use this file as the basis of your character import.

you can maybe uh … select a wilderness start of sorts ?

@Kevin Granade: I am not sure if that is true for this version of Cataclysm. I created a disposable player, and when she died, I checked the Graveyard directory. There is a *.seen.0 file, but no *.sav file, and the *.seen.0 file doesn’t contain enough information to ‘reincarnate’ the player [v6163] . If I could get this to work, it would be great, because it means I don’t have to backup the game every time I wake up.

@Gnorse: Wilderness starts guarantee that you will be far from cities, so not truly ‘random’. In my specific circumstance, I prefer ‘random’ to ‘safe’, especially when I will be having a leg up by having so many ‘starting’ skills.

[quote=“digitCruncher, post:9, topic:13297”]@Kevin Granade: I am not sure if that is true for this version of Cataclysm. I created a disposable player, and when she died, I checked the Graveyard directory. There is a *.seen.0 file, but no *.sav file, and the *.seen.0 file doesn’t contain enough information to ‘reincarnate’ the player [v6163] . If I could get this to work, it would be great, because it means I don’t have to backup the game every time I wake up.

@Gnorse: Wilderness starts guarantee that you will be far from cities, so not truly ‘random’. In my specific circumstance, I prefer ‘random’ to ‘safe’, especially when I will be having a leg up by having so many ‘starting’ skills.[/quote]
what you can do is just spawn in a character and use the debug menu’s long range teleport feature to teleport into an unknown tile. its guaranteed to be random