Moose

The moose needs a serious debuff. I understand it’s a dangerous animal, but I mean, god, there would be like MILLIONS of deaths per year IRL if they were near as dangerous and aggressive as they are in Cataclysm. I would rather come across almost anything early game. I mean seriously, they break down doors, follow you into basements, and are absolutely RELENTLESS. I fear them far more than bears or any other natural wildlife. One person a year dies of a moose attack IRL on average, but in Cataclysm I’m willing to bet they have the highest kill count of anything ever.

I get that a lot of people will respond that I’m just a noob, but for real, by all standards they are WAY to deadly in Cataclysm. A moose = A high-HP super fast and super aggressive bulldozer that will eat your face…

They are not to strong… but maybe to agressive.

For me, most of my problems with moose are during the early game. With safe mode off and I got a player just passing through, it’s easy to miss the moose nearby, especially when it’s through a forest. So I end up walking one second and the next second the moose is pissed. If I notice the moose when far away I usually manage to avoid it, even with animal discord.

I’ve spent a summer in Alaska where there were many moose. They are definitely insanely strong and frightening. They could easily kill a man, but I do think they are more aggressive in game than what I ever encountered.

That said, the game makes them perpetually in rutting season–where they are aggressive and dangerous cause they want to make love to another moose–and also the end of the world happened. I think that the gentler moose would like not have survived the apocalypse, and so the ones that remain are the aggressive, dominant type.

I don’t know the mechanics, exactly, but I don’t think that a moose “should” go looking out for a fight–like it’s hunting. But it would be hyper-territorial–like the real moose but more so due to the circumstances–if it gets upset, it will try to destroy everything forever.

Moose: North American land hippos.

After the Cataclysm:

Civilization was toppled.
Ecosystems were ruined.
Reality was ripped a new one.
Moose only got angrier.

perhaps someone could make it so theire agression changes with the season. So if they are mating they are turning into the mosse we learned to love.

I’m trying to think why moose are so aggressive compared to wolves and cougars, and my general guess is that wolves, and especially cougars have a tendency to seem to move back and forth even when attacking. The moose just seems to stick to the player until said player is a red paste on the ground.

[quote=“Derpular, post:6, topic:9321”]After the Cataclysm:

Civilization was toppled.
Ecosystems were ruined.
Reality was ripped a new one.
Moose only got angrier.[/quote]

Sig’d

Seriously, fix the damn moose. Just lost three new characters in a row to the damn thing. Nothing else EVER kills me early game. I don’t play combat heacy characters, I like crafting and surviving. If I aggro a moose I’m done for, there is zero chance of winning the fight. They also seem to always target your head specifically. I’ve tried bow/slingshot on them, lighting fires under them, everything.

Or please for the love of god, make it toggle safe mode. I mean dogs do and they are not a threat at all.

I’m seriously tired of these damn things. I tried introducing my wife to the game, after a few moose deaths (and some fair zombie deaths) she quit. I’m considering taking a break until this gets fixed.

I love this game, but the moose aggressiveness is more than stupid; it’s damn near game breaking if you don’t play a cyber-hero or samurai wielding badass.

If you won’t lower their aggressiveness or make them toggle safe mode, can someone explain to me how to edit them out of the game?

I agree with this. I think the moose are realistically strong, but their aggression is waaaaaayyyyyy over the top.

I played caveman run with only rags and spear. Had no problems with any moose day 1. What are your skills and weapons?

I did some testing. The response of the moose can vary. They will ignore you as long as you stay far enough away. However if you get too close they might track you or turn hostile. Once they get into melee with you on a default character (8 in stats, no skill, no traits) you aren’t going to win by melee combat. Not even close. However you can win. You can consistently win. You just have to be creative.

The trick to them early game is:

Moose are afraid of fire. They will run from it. They fear it. So, light a fire under their ass. Light a fire between you and them and walk away. Fire is humanities’s weapon against the wild*.

If you stick with the game long enough you will learn strategies that will allow you to defeat even some of the most powerful enemies. Get creative. Have fun.

Use roguelike tactics:

1. Cardio
  2. Is something dangerous still nearby? If yes, go to point 1.

And remember: you don’t need to outrun the moose, only the nearest non-moose thing around.

Especially in early game survival, I find that if I try to hit anything with a big stick, I can never do anything to it. But if I throw a little rock or launch a pebble at it, I’m doing some massive damage and slaughtering everything that gets in my way.

[quote=“Pandromidal, post:13, topic:9321”]I did some testing. The response of the moose can vary. They will ignore you as long as you stay far enough away. However if you get too close they might track you or turn hostile. Once they get into melee with you on a default character (8 in stats, no skill, no traits) you aren’t going to win by melee combat. Not even close. However you can win. You can consistently win. You just have to be creative.

The trick to them early game is:

Moose are afraid of fire. They will run from it. They fear it. So, light a fire under their ass. Light a fire between you and them and walk away. Fire is humanities’s weapon against the wild*.

If you stick with the game long enough you will learn strategies that will allow you to defeat even some of the most powerful enemies. Get creative. Have fun.[/quote]

I’ve done all that! I light fires underneath them, they just move out of the way and keep attacking me. They hardly run from it. I’ve been playing for about a year now, I don’t think this is a ‘I’m a noob’ problem.

I’ve used bows, slings, and slingshots. They don’t deal near enough damage to the moose before it closes the distance. And this is with characters that have 2-4 archery skills and marksmanship.

Throwing might need to be rebalanced.

Man, that seems weird. I have come close to moose in the game and they never got aggressive.

I do keep my distance, but I have come pretty close, and they never left ignore.

My thoughts is that territorial animals should stop chasing you when you leave their territory. i expect there is no system assigning territories in the game, but that would solve a lot of the problems!

There’s no point wielding big stick, make pointy stick instead(pun intended).