Aggro moose and bear jesus frick frack patty wack

Several times now I’ve set up a safe house, barricaded it, and stockpiled food, books, and other supplies to start crafting and leveling myself up. And every time, an animal suddenly goes aggro and murders me. Every. Single. Time.

The last game I fell asleep in my barricaded evac shelter, and a bear busted down my barricaded window and mauled me in my bed. The time before that a moose rampaged me right as I opened the door of my farmhouse and mauled me before I could even step outside. The time before that two bears burst from the forest and double teamed me into a corpse.

I have “animal empathy” in every game because of my crippling fear of the two apex predators of North America stalking me at all hours of the day. It doesn’t matter what type of weapon I carry, apparently - I had sharpened metal bows and then a .45, but even if by some miracle I manage to kill the bear or moose another one will sense the death of his companion and seek vengeance upon me.

Is there a way to just… Mod my game to delete moose and bear? Or if not, how do I deal with them? I notice that when my safe house is surrounded with corpses or garbage animals tend to swarm the place. Should I keep my safe house tidy, including the outside? How do you deal with wildlife?

Stop being a skrub Um… Stop taking animal empathy and don’t get close to animals. And sleep in rooms without windows. And be prepared when you open doors.

Don’t live in the forest. I had this problem (but with zombears) until my latest survivor spawned near a small hamlet, which I was able to clear of zombies in a day or two. As far as I can tell, nothing will spawn in the now-empty city, so I can hang out there as long as I like.

getting killed by moose

I don’t even understand how this happens, I’ve had a 0 melee 0 dodging skill survivor kill a surprise moose with a nail board without kiting and only losing about half head HP with Glass Jaw

just make a quarterstaff or some decent weapon and wear as many layers of armor as possible without encumbrance

and drop your backpacks when you’re fighting

This is probably the most relevant thing here, with only a t-shirt and jeans a survivor is extremely vulnerable to any attack, even adding a trenchcoat and a helmet is a great step up for surviving the first turn of the ambush.
Other than that your best bet is to just avoid getting ambushed, which is harder than it might sound.

Personally I always take the Quick trait, the extra bit of speed is super useful (Especially against turrets, as you sometimes step into that ‘extra’ turn, where you move twice before anything slower can react).

You can peek through windows with curtains without opening them, and generally look around corners using the ‘X’ key (Useful for spotting mi-go in the city before you get close).

Some traps make noise when they’re triggered, like bear traps or bubble wrap, these can help you wake up ‘before’ a bear is nomming your face off.

[quote=“IcedPee, post:4, topic:7679”]>getting killed by moose

I don’t even understand how this happens, I’ve had a 0 melee 0 dodging skill survivor kill a surprise moose with a nail board without kiting and only losing about half head HP with Glass Jaw

just make a quarterstaff or some decent weapon and wear as many layers of armor as possible without encumbrance

and drop your backpacks when you’re fighting[/quote]

It’s largely up to luck. As an unskilled, ill-equipped survivor, a moose can get a lucky hit that does a shitload of damage, and the resulting pain will ruin what little combat ability you have. I’ve also lost multiple characters to mooses when they attack me when heavily encumbered and I don’t have time to drop everything before they reach me. I’ve even had a moose kick me in the eyes the moment I stepped into a house. That didn’t end well. All of these are avoidable given the right preparation, but then most everything is.

I find the moment I’m kinda injured, or overencumbered, all those tracking animals suddenly get really interested in me. So if you have to go on scavenging runs, don’t overstuff your backpack in an attempt to make the trip worth it. Make two trips. Always. Smaller successes is better than one big death.

Also worth note: yeah, the second combat seems likely WOW DROP ENCUMBERING GEAR LIKE BACKPACKS.
I haven’t had this die-in-my-sleep happen to me personally, as my home is inside a waste treatment facility so I sleep with no windows, and at least two doors between me and the outside at all times, PLUS a basement. I assume the lack of windows is the biggest aid after the basement. So my advice would be try finding someplace with a basement.

I have to wonder if (W)earing a blanket when going to bed makes one likewise visibly encumbered to animals that like easy pickings.

There’s really no point to wearing a blanket to bed, dropping it on the bed makes it much better at keeping you warm.

Exactly, hence my wondering if it is, in fact, only detrimental in that situation.

Never sleep above ground unless you’re in a structure strong enough to repel Bear and Moose.
Dig pits around your shelter.
Do not sleep near the walls.
If all else fails, set up something to generate smoke, which helps disrupt scent tracking.

Have you considered…

normal animals do not even destroy windows. so when i am followed by a vicious wolf i can hide behinde a window and watch it be hungry n stuff :3.
If need be i kill stronger enemies with the almighty burning bush + a club or something.

2 protips that will instantly make you gud:

1. Sleep underground
  2. Travel at night

There, you instantly win early game.

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:13, topic:7679”]2 protips that will instantly make you gud:

1. Sleep underground
  2. Travel at night

There, you instantly win early game.[/quote]

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:14, topic:7679”][quote=“Coolthulhu, post:13, topic:7679”]2 protips that will instantly make you gud:

1. Sleep underground
  2. Travel at night

There, you instantly win early game.[/quote][/quote]

[quote=“Coolthulhu, post:13, topic:7679”]2 protips that will instantly make you gud:

1. Sleep underground
  2. Travel at night

There, you instantly win early game.[/quote]

create character > traveling at night > moon comes out > tank bot 7 tiles away > ragequit.

For what it’s worth, I never travel at night unless it’s because I foraged too late in the day. My survivors tend to be horrendous insomniacs who spend too long on study during shitty weather days. On the days I’ve had mobs chase me, I’ve generally used forests to lose them, and then sprint across the nearest field opposite and hope they lose interest.

I still don’t know how I ran away from a mi-go that one time, considering I was neither fleet of foot nor particularly inconspicuous. Might have hid in a basement before it got through more forest??

1. Don’t sleep at all, sleep is for the weak.
  2. Clear out every coffee shop you find.
  3. Make as much coffee as you physically can.
  4. Live your life on caffeine
  5. You conquered sleep.
  1. Die from overheating in an ice lab after months of atomic coffee.

I still don’t understand how this happened to you, is critical caffeine withdrawal coded to cause lethally high body temperature?