Fight or Flight help?

I have a quick question… So I constantly die in the game because either I can’t outrun an enemy, such as wolves or moose. Yet I can’t fight back either… So what am I supposed to do in that situation? Am I meant to just die there? Especially when there are no zombies or other creatures I can aggro the assailants onto. Just any general tips. Thank you!

A pointy stick, lure your enemies onto a bush and drop your winter jacket if you are playing with a regular survivor. Also, if you have a relatively high dexterity, 12 or so, it make melee A LOT easier early on.

Make sure your encumbrance lvl isn’t to high

Kite mobs into bushes or windows

git gud

Are you aware of the sprint command? It’s " (shift-apostrophe) by default. I’m pretty sure most characters can outrun both moose and wolves when sprinting, at least for short bursts.

Other than that, there’s a variety of tactics you can use, such as standing behind a bush and lighting it on fire when a creature moves into it. Sometimes you’re just fucked though, moose have killed several of my early characters in the past.

Fight or flight or fire.

1st reaction should be avoid if unsure that you can take them on.
If you cannot avoid: 2nd reaction should be to fight. A bush is pretty useful and most fresh survivors should be able to kill a moose or wolf even with a stick if unencumbered and if they use a bush & lighter.
If you need to escape a moose or wolf, prepare to die, unless you got some trap to lure them into.
It’s generally better to hold your ground against them.

A big question would be if you know how to run. "

The experimentals are key.

Wolves, yeah, for a bit, but moose at too fast for a normal (non-quick, fleet-footed, etc) survivor to outrun. You can usually avoid them (during the day) by just staying far enough away, though.

The other advice here (check your encumbrance, use fire) are very good early game tips and should get you through.

A little extra that can be done is when you lure the moose/zombie/whatever into the bush is to light the bush on fire. Will destroy the shrub, but it’ll do damage. 'course, it’s not something you can do all the time, but it can help. It’s certainly something that can send a migo running after a while, during the start when you can’t handle them.

For traveling or fighting I prefer daylight, ( Daylight should safe you from running into wildlife to often or warn you on time if lot of Zeds are near by ) I found that much easier in most situations. Stealth/dark can absolute work out better but is harder to do correctly.

A car can outrun everything.

Getting a car dramatically increases your options, and allows you to pick your fights more often.

For running on foot, run through houses, start fires to destroy your scent, and the fire also can destroy things, which slows down a persuer and might even kill them.

cocaine and other stimulants makes you run faster, as does not being hot/cold/inpain/tired/hungry/thirsty. Your body is a machine, and needs to be cared for like one.

Lower legs, mouth, and foot encumbrance makes you run faster. Its only a few movement points per step, but when you run 250 steps sprinting away from an enemy those 2-6 movement points count. They become 200-800 movement points.

Finally, know what your enemy can see. Not everything can see as far as you; in fact most cannot see as far as you. The excplaimation point next to their name when you press [shift v] will indicate if they can see you.

And, just for knowledge, you can typically sprint the equivalent of 115-120 speed. Maybe more or less depending on the conditions. 100 is your walking speed.
So a monster with 145 speed is going to outrun you.

Regarding running: Even slightly slower monsters WRT a sprinting survivor pose a problem, since they may be able to stay close enough until the survivor runs out of stamina. This is especially true if the survivor was in melee before, encumbered, or too hot/cold/in pain.

On the other hand, clever use of terrain (using a forest to slow down enemies, or houses to block their LOS) can help evasion quite a bit.

In my opinion, the best thing you can do is id threats early. Getting into a fight or flight situation (if winning the fight is unfeasible/very costly) is a lose-lose scenario.

[quote=“pisskop, post:11, topic:12001”]And, just for knowledge, you can typically sprint the equivalent of 115-120 speed. Maybe more or less depending on the conditions. 100 is your walking speed.
So a monster with 145 speed is going to outrun you.[/quote]
This isn’t quite right. What running does is scale your speed linearly downwards from 2x speed to 1x speed based on your current stamina over your maximum stamina (i.e., at max stamina you have double [~200] movement speed). So a player that, say, ran only in short bursts and made sure to walk occasionally to recover your stamina is going to be averaging 180-200 speed on average, not 115-120.

Note that this only applies to move speed though, your speed isn’t increased at all for say, hitting that zombie in the head with your sword or shooting your gun.

For ordinary (non-zahmbee) critters, a noisemaker (a gun) or a burning bush are able to scare even moose into fleeing in terror at the sight of man’s ingenuity.

So if you have a gun, and you’re in the wilderness, fire a shot at the critter because if youre lucky you might one-hit it, or else it might turn tail and flee.

yelling and fire help for most* wiodlife

I think if he had a gun, this whole thread would probably not exist.

I think if he had a gun, this whole thread would probably not exist.[/quote]

People thinking having a gun in C:DDA will keep them safe.

^^^^^^

This guy gets it.
Paradoxically I tend to get into more trouble AFTER finding firearms.

[quote=“Jarlaxlejr, post:18, topic:12001”]^^^^^^

This guy gets it.
Paradoxically I tend to get into more trouble AFTER finding firearms.[/quote]

Oh, I don’t disagree, generally speaking…

but that’s not the problem THIS thread was about, that’s all.

I think if he had a gun, this whole thread would probably not exist.[/quote]

People thinking having a gun in C:DDA will keep them safe.

[/quote]