[Mod][5.2] XProfessions

This is the XProfessions mod for Cataclysm:Dark Days Ahead. It currently adds 50 (and counting) new professions to play as. Cataclysm DDA 0.A is required.

New Professions:
*Entrepreneur
*Rifle Hunter
*Miner
*Delinquent
*Spelunker
*Factory Worker
*Cowboy
*Camper
*Biggest Fan
*Bookworm
*Race Car Driver
*Megaman Wannabe
*Middle Aged Guy
*Mayor
*Jogger
*Cannabis Grower
*Furry LARPer
*Factory Worker
*Lieutenant
*Bionic Boxer
*Improviser
*Pharmacist
*Prototype Android
*Daredevil
*Assassin
*Bartender
*Millionaire
*Swordsman
*Homemaker
*Vandal
*Roleplayer
*Vacationer
*Archaeologist
*Barbarian
*Caveman
*Healer
*Knight
*Monk
*Priest
*Ranger
*Rogue
*Samurai
*Tourist
*Valkyrie
*Wizard
*T-1000
*Bionic Guard
*Average Joe
*Flasher

Feedback: Feel free to provide feedback, and I’d love some balance testers! If you get any suggestions for professions, please let me know! I’d love to hear them.

Please note that everything before version 4.0 is broken! Absolutely broken. Use them at your own risk.

Installation: Unpack the XProfessions-master folder into your mods folder of your data directory. Rename it to: “Xprofessions” (nix the quotes, of course)

License: The mod is licensed under CC-BY-SA 3.0 License

Download: Version 5.2
Or browse the code on Github

Well… I like dis

:v

I will have to look through these. DOWNLOADEDEDEDED

Thanks!

I will have to look through these. DOWNLOADEDEDEDED[/quote]
Lemme know what you think when you get done!

*Edit: Am I still zombie food if I play as Megaman Wannabe?

Huh, I’ve followed the instructions, but something is wrong. None of the professions are showing up, but professions from Werty’s mod are. I’ll mess with it a bit and see what I can do.
EDIT: I took out the path in modinfo and it works like a charm.

Did you enable the mod pack?

[quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:5, topic:5174”]Huh, I’ve followed the instructions, but something is wrong. None of the professions are showing up, but professions from Werty’s mod are. I’ll mess with it a bit and see what I can do.
EDIT: I took out the path in modinfo and it works like a charm.[/quote]
Let me look into it

Edit: Yeah, the path should be removed. I had it removed with the modinfo in my CataDDA directory, but not in my Github Repo. Update’s a-comin’!

Update: Version 4.5

I am pleased to announce the first round of the “Nethack Updates”. I will be adding the classes from Nethack into CataDDA as professions. Who said this couldn’t be fun? This update adds the Archaeologist, Barbarian, and Caveman.

I hope this mod gets added to the main release :smiley:

Bet it’ll be a bit trickier now you have to do male and female versions of each profession

May I suggest a few professions? (Idk if any of these exist in main game, but definetly not gonna suggest any from the current list)

Surfer Dude/Chick, Jockey, Detective, Teacher, Writer, Artist, Postman/Postwoman, Maintenance Worker, Alcoholic, Bionic Miner, Priest/Nun, Radio DJ, Military Scientist, Librarian, Roleplayer (Someone who doesn’t really go all out like cosplayers, but still pretends to be someone from a tv show/film/book), Naturalist, Zoo Keeper, Hotel Bellboy/Girl, Call Center Worker

Hope those are decent ideas? Keep up the good work (Sorry if I did over lap the list, I dont think I did, but it is 3:40 in the morning here and I haven’t slept yet and really should)

[quote=“Samscale1, post:9, topic:5174”]I hope this mod gets added to the main release :smiley:

Bet it’ll be a bit trickier now you have to do male and female versions of each profession

May I suggest a few professions? (Idk if any of these exist in main game, but definetly not gonna suggest any from the current list)

Surfer Dude/Chick, Jockey, Detective, Teacher, Writer, Artist, Postman/Postwoman, Maintenance Worker, Alcoholic, Bionic Miner, Priest/Nun, Radio DJ, Military Scientist, Librarian, Roleplayer (Someone who doesn’t really go all out like cosplayers, but still pretends to be someone from a tv show/film/book), Naturalist, Zoo Keeper, Hotel Bellboy/Girl, Call Center Worker

Hope those are decent ideas? Keep up the good work (Sorry if I did over lap the list, I dont think I did, but it is 3:40 in the morning here and I haven’t slept yet and really should)[/quote]
I will definitely look into adding these after the next string of updates is done (All Nethack related). Thanks for the suggestions!

Update: Version 4.5-b

The next in the string of (Un)Nethack updates, this one adds Healer, Knight, and Monk. The knight gets a Zweihander. Also, some professions have been rebalanced.

your mod is fantastic. love the descriptions and functionality. im loving slashing zombies with my improvised sword as the barbarian. trail of carnage before my inevitable doom! thanks for your efforts!

[quote=“warforcer, post:12, topic:5174”]your mod is fantastic. love the descriptions and functionality. im loving slashing zombies with my improvised sword as the barbarian. trail of carnage before my inevitable doom! thanks for your efforts![/quote]Thanks! I’ll keep working on it, although the pace might be a bit slower because of school papers.

Update: Version 4.5-c

Another Nethack update! This one adds the priest, ranger, rogue, and samurai.

Sorry this took so long to get out. I had some interference from school. My apologies. Version 4.5-d will probably come out sometime this weekend. After that, I’m not sure what I’ll do. I’ll definitely put in the Terminator, and probably myself as a little easter egg. Other than that, I’m not sure.

This is in no way hostile, just FYI. I’m pretty sure the CC-BY-SA license of DDA requires mods to also be CC-BY-SA licensed.
(I would have MUCH preferred GPLv3 as well)

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:15, topic:5174”]This is in no way hostile, just FYI. I’m pretty sure the CC-BY-SA license of DDA requires mods to also be CC-BY-SA licensed.
(I would have MUCH preferred GPLv3 as well)[/quote]
Huh. Is it possible for me to change it?

To those who use this mod, I apologise for the large delay in updates. I had too much on my palette.

Version 4.5-d: Tourist, Wizard, Valkyrie added
Version 4.6: T-1000 added

Version 5.0: Re-Licensed to CC-BY-SA

Up next: Detective, Guardbot, Lion Tamer?

Don’t think so, actually. A mod is just a bunch of independent text files, after all. It is theoretically possible to implement a new game licensed under a different license that can load the mod. Suggesting that because CDDA can load the mod, it must be licensed under the same license, is comparable to suggesting that because MS word is released under proprietary license, so must all files that can be opened by it.

EDIT: You could argue that the item IDs and other string identifiers are unique to CDDA and using them in your mod constitutes a “derivative work”. But I don’t think anyone in their right mind would actually try to enforce such a thing, so I don’t think that constitutes a practically relevant reason to license your mod CC-BY-SA. I mean, people have gotten away with complete reimplementations of proprietary games that can make use of the original game content files, and I don’t see why we as an open source project should be any more stingy about the matter.

Don’t think so, actually. A mod is just a bunch of independent text files, after all. It is theoretically possible to implement a new game licensed under a different license that can load the mod. Suggesting that because CDDA can load the mod, it must be licensed under the same license, is comparable to suggesting that because MS word is released under proprietary license, so must all files that can be opened by it.

EDIT: You could argue that the item IDs and other string identifiers are unique to CDDA and using them in your mod constitutes a “derivative work”. But I don’t think anyone in their right mind would actually try to enforce such a thing, so I don’t think that constitutes a practically relevant reason to license your mod CC-BY-SA. I mean, people have gotten away with complete reimplementations of proprietary games that can make use of the original game content files, and I don’t see why we as an open source project should be any more stingy about the matter.[/quote]
Well great. Now I’m really confused… :confused:

Yeah, we all are. Copyright law is broken, and nobody really has any clue how a court would decide in practice. Feel free to go with CC-BY-SA, it’s a decent license for mods(unlike source code). I just wanted to debunk the idea that you have to do so.