Minimalistic tileset

Sorry to derail, but I think the only serious issue with that would be cleaning out the hard-coded offsets, since we could no longer assume that all cells are the same width. Not too bad as long as only the main map and overmap are different characters, but the minimap would be tricky.

I tried to make a zombies:

Be able to guess who is who?

Zombie, Cop, Shocker, Boomer, Brute, Hulk, Skeleton, Child, Spitter

Those tiny zombies look great. I was able to work out all of them except the zombie cop, who I thought was this guy at first:

But that’s mostly because I forgot about the existence of zombie cops. Looking forward to the grabbers and smokers!

NICE! They’re all recognizeable, and I’m surprised at how much detail they have individually.

a few observations:
I love how the hulk looks buff, ideally the brute would look somewhat buff and the hulk super buff.
Possibly even have the hulk hunched over instead of standing up straight, and taking up more of the tile? I have no idea how that would end up looking, just a thought.
The boomer should look fat, or at least thick.
I’m not sure having the bile coming out of the spitter works, my first thought was “zombie duck?!?”.

I recognized all the zeds. Seconded the zombie duck comment on the spitter, however.

Yes, it’s a cool guy! :wink:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:24, topic:3220”]I love how the hulk looks buff, ideally the brute would look somewhat buff and the hulk super buff.
Possibly even have the hulk hunched over instead of standing up straight, and taking up more of the tile? I have no idea how that would end up looking, just a thought.[/quote]
I’m not sure that I understood. Sorry, I do not know much English and I use Google translator.
If I understood correctly, you want to Brute look like a Hulk, and Hulk was even greater. That she standing bent over, like a gorilla on all fours? It’s an interesting thought. Or that it is larger than a single tile? Is it possible to do? I have no idea how to do it!

I'll try to make it even more fat. Like a Baron Vladimir Harkonnen!
I'm not sure having the bile coming out of the spitter works, my first thought was "zombie duck?!?".
Ok, I get it. Zombie Duck is funny, but not right. I tried to do it: "This zombie's mouth is deformed into a round spitter". Ok! I realized my mistake! In the Russian translation of it was called: "Плевательная установка" (spitter launcher? о_О). I understood it as proboscis/long tube.

Hmm… I must think…

Liking all these zombies. Keep going! I’ll use it when it’s complete, at least.

Thank you for your patience. I’ll try to be clear so I don’t confuse the translator.

You have it, a gorilla is a good model. I don’t think there is a way to have the hulk use multiple tiles. I meant to have it fill up the tile. I’m not sure if that works, you’re the artist :wink:

[quote=“Malcolm, post:26, topic:3220”]

I’ll try to make it even more fat. Like a Baron Vladimir Harkonnen![/quote]
Yes! Baron Harkonnen is perfect!

[quote=“Malcolm, post:26, topic:3220”]

I’m not sure having the bile coming out of the spitter works, my first thought was “zombie duck?!?”.

Ok, I get it. Zombie Duck is funny, but not right. I tried to do it: “This zombie’s mouth is deformed into a round spitter”.
Ok! I realized my mistake! In the Russian translation of it was called: “Плевательная установка” (spitter launcher? о_О). I understood it as proboscis/long tube.[/quote]
I understand, that makes sese too. I thought of it as a round hole in its face instead of a normal mouth, but not protruding. I’m not sure how to make it better either.

Thank you for your patience. I'll try to be clear so I don't confuse the translator.
Thank you from me and from the translator;)
You have it, a gorilla is a good model. I don't think there is a way to have the hulk use multiple tiles. I meant to have it fill up the tile. I'm not sure if that works, you're the artist ;)
Understood. I'll try it. Not sure what will happen well. If it is bad, the Hulk leave as is, and Brute make more muscle.
I understand, that makes sese too. I thought of it as a round hole in its face instead of a normal mouth, but not protruding. I'm not sure how to make it better either.
What is the "sese"? Translator confused. Hmm. When I read the description in English, I also thought it was possible hole on the face. I'll think about how to draw it better.

That’s a typo, “that makes sense too” is what it should have said <_<

This tileset looks amazing and I agree that the zombies are great. When will it be available?

Thank you! I can not say exactly when it will be ready. I have a lot of other things, and over the tileset I have just started working. But if the idea is all so liked will have to finish :wink:

I’ll contribute to the likes. Good work.

This is what I have always wanted. Please, make this a full tileset.

Seconded.

I join the mass to say i like it a lot.

You have my internetz.

Has been a few days and I know you said you where busy but is there anything new to report on this? Also even though it is not complete can you show us what you have so far?

I don’t often use tilesets in my roguelikes, but when I do I make it a minimalistic tileset.

Seriously, fantastic small scale work. I’ve worked in similiar mediums where size limits cause difficulties, and you have done AMAZING on those avatar graphics. You have implied large amounts of detail with very few pixels. I’m impressed!

Very good! Waiting on you to post a download link to it so I can harvest it for trying my own 11x11 tiles.