Mine clearing features for vehicles

Then we need a new way of dealing with traps when riding around in a vehicle.

What would work? Putting a “combine harvester” rig up front made of a wide rectangle of frames with lots of small wheels on it ?

[quote=“DG123, post:1, topic:2970”]Then we need a new way of dealing with traps when riding around in a vehicle.

What would work? Putting a “combine harvester” rig up front made of a wide rectangle of frames with lots of small wheels on it ?[/quote]

WWII tanks used a similar idea: rotating drum with chains attached, such that the chains flailed against the ground and set off mines. Called a Mine flail: not perfect, but still in use today.

Question being what happens if you do this? How far in front of the driver’s seat would the “flail” point of contact need to be to avoid killing the driver? And how much damage does a mine do to the vehicle anyway?

Well, if you check the Wiki page I linked, it looks like it’s at least a few feet from the tank (so maybe you want it farther out if you don’t armor your vehicle) and the system would require some maintenance. Much less than a mine going off under your tire, though.

:wink:

If They ad dozer blades and snowplows he problem solved.

I think DG123 was referring to how far out your “flail” point needed to be in the game to prevent mine damage to the player. Sorry but the wiki link to the tank doesn’t really help that : P

The minesweepers had dozer blades mounted on the front to prevent damage.

IIRC, a landmine has an explosion radius of 3 tiles but shrapnel can go a little further.

OK, so if the flail sets it off three tiles ahead, your plating takes a bit of scorching and the shrapnel hit. Forgive me if I suspect that shrapnel ought not to hurt steel plating too badly, so 3 tiles seems like a decent range.

One observation: the flail will be Loud and would throw up enough dust to qualify as a Smoke generator, judging by the wiki.

So that’s why Santa has raindeer…