Mewbs Mods: Crazy Labs, Homemade Fungicide, Portable Coolers, Temperature and Morale

TLDR: These are mods I made for CDDA.

Crazy labs adds monsters to the labs making them more like endgame areas and making lab escape challenges much more difficult and exciting.

Homemade Fungicide adds recipes so that you can create homemade fungicide grenades with bleach and ammonia. It also adds toxic gas effects to fungicidal and insecticidal gas.

Temperature Effects Overrides: One version removes temperature effects entirely. The Other version just reduces scaling effects. Should be loaded after other rebalance mods like PK.

Morale Mods: One version removes only wet/dry morale effects, the other also removes filthy gear, killing, mutilating corpses and graverobbing morale effects/penalties. Should be loaded after other rebalance mods like PK.

Portable Coolers adds portable coolers to find and craft and is basically an updated version of The-Cool-Mod.

All mods are included in zip in link.

Check back for more mods tba.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hk0erh9dsoy8bli/CDDAMewbModsc.zip/file

Hello everyone,

I’ve been playing cdda since Novemberish 2018 and I spent a lot of hours playing it that holiday season. I stopped playing as much over the last year but I started playing more again over the passed few months after discovering Vormithrax’s streams.

If you watch his streams you know how much time that man spends in labs and how boring it usually is.

Not anymore! Inspired by Half-Life and RE2 this mod adds more monsters (some tougher zombies, nether, fungal and triffids) so now labs are the out-of-control nightmares they should be.

I think it could be a little more monster dense but I’m trying to keep it from being too crazy so that lab escape challenges are still possible. It could definitely still be crazier though, I didn’t include random mi-go’s, hunters, predators, or mutant animals/insects in the labs. I wanted to add more zombie soldiers (as there logically would be trying to control the lab outbreaks) but it seems to throw off the spawn pools a bit somehow (it tends to spawn more zombies instead of the random monstergroup spawns).

Homemade Fungicide is just a simple mod that lets you create makeshift fungicide bombs easier by combining jugs of ammonia and bleach or combining them with empty cans to make fungicidal jug ‘bombs’ and can ‘grenades’. Intended to get more people playing the game with fungus enabled.

The morale mods essentially give your character the outdoorsman and psychopath traits by removing some morale id’s from the game. One version removes only wet/dry morale effects, the other also removes filthy gear, killing, mutilating corpses and graverobbing morale effects/penalties. Should be loaded after other rebalance mods like PK.

Temperature effects override mods: One version removes temperature effects entirely so you never have to worry about temp and can role-play with whatever gear you want. WARNING: if you load it into your game the character status screen will permanently show whatever temperature state your character is in as of save so make sure to get to back to normal before saving and adding to game. The Other version just reduces scaling effects if you still want to play with temperature effects enabled but will not be as harsh. Should be loaded after other rebalance mods like PK.

The portable cooler mod adds portable coolers to find and craft and is basically an updated version of The-Cool-Mod. Due to the nature of the game’s code you can not haul the cooler with items inside so if you want to move it, examine the cooler which will allow you to empty it and then carry it like a normal item. Ideal for bases and not so ideal for the travelling survivor unless stored in vehicle. Should not freeze things but should keep things frozen or fresh.

I forgot to mention on the first edit, there is another batch of files included:
I found these files on the merge/request github by user LyleSY that were never mainlined or made into their own mod. It includes dinos in the forests as well as full dinosaur evolution with breeding and baby dinos etc. I just updated the files for the eggs and forest spawns but included is an rtf of the json file that has the evolution data for anyone that wants to experiment with it. Maybe it should be included in the default mod in the future?

If anyone has any feedback, suggestions, or ideas please comment. And if you think the mod is too janky or there are too many occurrences of certain monsters (with the exception of hunting horrors. There is supposed to be a lot) please leave a comment.

And if anyone stumbles into a random flaming eye, kreck, or triffid queen, post about it! I have yet to figure out how the game uses or if it even does use the central lab monstergroup list so if you see one please post.

There are other mods I’m working on that I will be posting here so check back once in a while.

4 Likes

If you mix bleach and ammonia you get a really nasty gas that is lethal to humans. Mabey you can make it work on npcs and the player. Just an idea.

1 Like

I haven’t looked into the code to see if fungicidal gas is harmful and how much so to humans but I assumed it should be lol. That shouldn’t be hard to edit. It’s a great idea though to also use it to ‘smoke out’ hostile npcs and other humans or use it as a smoke distraction.

Added toxic gas effects to fungicide and insecticide. Thanks for the tip! It can now be used to smoke out humans etc.

2 Likes

Really appreciate you making these mods, the more enemies - the merrier, hehe

2 Likes

New mods! Check original post for link and info.

Hey Mewbs, love the mods! One piece of feedback, though: Crazy Labs covers EVERYTHING in fungus. Usually fungus is a occasional hazard in labs, but this basically guarantees that you’ll get Fungal Zombies everywhere, and turns lootable terrain into Fungus Clumps that have to be smashed to access (and, incidentally, get you a mouthful of spores). This is less an issue with your mod and more the broken ways that fungus works in the game, but is worth bringing up.

1 Like

Easiest solution to this is removing all fungal and fungus-related monsters from monster_groups.json file

1 Like

Yeah, that’d do it. I just hate taking content out. The variety of monsters in Cata is one of the fun parts. But I think I’ll remove 'em on my next game.

1 Like

Instead of taking fungus out, you could change how fast it spreads. Change how often the pouf’s fire their attack that transforms terrain into fungal terrain. If you disable the attack entirely and add a “grows into” flag to poufs, suddenly fungus reproduces via pouf’s and fungal terrain only spreads from mapgen seeded spots.

3 Likes