Martial Arts Master - Is it Possible?

My dream should be somewhat simpler this time, but I’d like to know whether it’s actually possible; To become a Martial Arts Master!

By this I mean, be able to learn EVERY type of Martial Arts in the game, whether it be from books found in a dojo or wandering fellow martial artists.

I know it’s possible to learn many, if not most of them, but can you learn ‘all’ of them? If not, would it be possible to add the remaining missing martial arts in to the game as books? I know learning them from books is kinda “magic scroll”-ish but it is possible to be self taught from books, provided they’re well made. The rest you’d learn by beating the crap out of zombies once you have the initials and form down.

On a side note, if it is possible, can anyone think of any good names for a Martial Arts spin off character? The best I’ve got is Chackie Jan.

Last I checked, there were a few of the animal styles that didn’t have books (or the books don’t actually spawn anywhere). Otherwise, I think you can get it all.

Adding them to books shouldn’t be hard… but then, you’d also have to add them to the spawn lists, which isn’t hard, just annoying and tedious.

Every martial art, aside from brawling (autolearned) and bionic combatives (requires to memorize it while using the close quarter battle bionic) has a martial art book. However, not all of them spawn in the game, as far as I can tell. I’m not even sure if NPCs can teach martial arts anymore.

Stuff that has books that can be found in a world:

Krav Maga
Boxing
Tai Chi
Aikido
Karate
Taekwondo
Judo
Muay Thai (not really, but like bionic combatives it can be memorized via the same bionic)
Pankration (can’t be learned in character generation, but it has a book)

Melee weapon skills
Fencing
Niten
Silat
Eskrima
Medieval Swordsmanship
Ninjitsu

Basically, the books that don’t spawn so far, as far as I know, are the five animal kung-fu styles, the five venoms, Zui Quan, and Capoeira.

There’s also a debug style which you can only get if you debug in all martial arts. All it has is a weak fast attack and a slow powerful attack.

Well I suppose I’ll be looking for another goal, again, thank you anyway for your help!

I hope they add the books to the game soon, the legend of Chakie Jan is waiting to be born!

I make a pull request to make these books spawn.

[quote="§k, post:5, topic:14088"]I make a pull request to make these books spawn.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21560[/quote]
Someone give this man a medal!

However if this is yet to be added in, how long might it take to be implemented? If it will take a long time, I’ll have to go searching for another dream. ;-;

[quote=“Umbra Vorago, post:6, topic:14088”][quote="§k, post:5, topic:14088"]I make a pull request to make these books spawn.

https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/21560[/quote]
Someone give this man a medal!

However if this is yet to be added in, how long might it take to be implemented? If it will take a long time, I’ll have to go searching for another dream. ;-;[/quote]

Just add it manually. You can see the changes. It’s a simple task to go to data/json/item_groups.json and add the lines of code. It’s what I’m about to do right now in fact!

Actually hell give me a minute and I’ll do it and upload the file here.

I don’t think they can, at least not brawling(which is the only one I’ve seen them offer in my short time of playing), which like you said you learn anyway I believe through the melee skill. When I ask an NPC to train me in brawling they just teach me the last skill they trained me in, whether they have the skill level for it or not.

I remember back in 0.A/B NPC’s were able totrain you in skills, huge shame that isn’t the case.

They can still train you in skills - the OP was asking about martial arts styles, which isn’t quite the same thing.

They can still train you in skills - the OP was asking about martial arts styles, which isn’t quite the same thing.[/quote]

My bad, my sleep deprived mind forgot to add “martial arts” before “skills”.

Lemme rephrase it.

Too bad they can’t (as far as I know) train you in martial arts styles other than brawl.

They can still train you in skills - the OP was asking about martial arts styles, which isn’t quite the same thing.[/quote]

My bad, my sleep deprived mind forgot to add “martial arts” before “skills”.

Lemme rephrase it.

Too bad they can’t (as far as I know) train you in martial arts styles other than brawl.[/quote]

I think they can teach you meleeunarmed, which in turn has you auto learn brawling. If you see my post above, if you ask them to train you directly in brawling it will train one of the other skills they have. If none of those are available it will train you in the last skill that was successful, whether they have it or not.

I obviously know they can teach you unarmed, as they can teach you other skills.

It’s just weird that in previous versions that NPC’s could teach you things like Muay Thai and Krav Maga.
All of a sudden the feature just disappeared.

Also, really strange that that happens. I didn’t know they switch to other skills if you don’t have the requirements.

In the current experimental, an NPC could teach me brawling. I would think that they can still teach all other styles too if they know them, but i would need to verify with an actual style…

Ask them to teach you brawling and see what happens, they won’t teach it to you even though it says they will.

Now you can find “Capoeira 100”, “The Centipede Lu Feng”, “The Red Crane”, “The Jade Dragon”, “The Deaf Leopard”, “The Lizard Kuo Chui”, “The Scorpion Sun Chien”, “The Black Snake”, “The White Tiger”, “The Toad Lo Mang”, “The Viper Wei Pai”, and “Zui Quan and You” in mansion. They are rare, however, and you only find these books once in a blue moon.

Gosh those rich people sure do have some strange books laying about ;).

Gosh those rich people sure do have some strange books laying about ;).[/quote]

Apparently all the rich people pre-Cataclysm were martial arts masters themselves. I mean, they have all the books that instantly teach you an entire martial discipline in an instant, so that’s the only reasonable conclusion to make.

Only if they read the book they bought.

Some rich people bought books to have a nice-looking study. Many didn’t survive the initial chaos.

Yesssssss. Potential of Tiger and Zui Quan on my survivor? Yessssssssss. She’s already untouchable in melee with boxing. Having Zui Quan will pretty much murder everything.