Martial Arts and Defending against guns

So I have come back to the experimental after a long break from the game and I have noticed a lot of changes with respect to martial arts but I don’t really know what they mean. I did notice the addition of blocking to unarmed in general now which is really nice, but I have no idea what the special abilities do now and the wiki seems out of date.

What I would like to know is there a good source of information about the various styles and there benefits and if so where may I find it? Also, do people experienced with the updated ones have any tips on which they consider to be best in terms of offense, defense, and overall? I noticed there are 3 kinds of melee weapon training with abilities as well that I would like to know more information about. I know I can use ? to look at the abilities but it just tells me the names and gives me a basic run down of the style without really explaining its raw combat value.

Also, last I knew learning styles usually was only available through NPCs or taking them at the start of a character… has that changed at all (I noticed brawling is learned automatically but other than that)?

Another thing I am wondering on is how to face enemies with firearms… they were my biggest problem back when I did my martial arts characters before and I am still having a lot of trouble approaching bots and turrets with firearms. What I am interested in knowing is what damage type do firearms use, do any cbms work particularly well at defending against them, and are there any tips for dealing with turrets and such without getting annihilated as a melee primary character or do I just always need to carry a crossbow just in case?

http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=19.msg175544#msg175544
bee stingers apparently

Guns deal cutting damage, normal turrets can probably be fended off by kevlar equipment, but when dealing with Milspec turrets, anything less than Power Armor pretty much skirts instant death, and even that won’t help that much against Anti-Material turrets.

There are manuals for martial arts, but AFAIK they’re not set to spawn anywhere. Aside from that, the CQC CBM gives you access to several styles while it’s active and you can permanently learn those styles after practice.

As for defending against bullets, Uncanny Dodge allows you to dodge bullets, Active defense system has a CHANCE of deflecting bullets, Artificial Night Generator and Cloaking System makes them unable to see (and shoot) you.

EMP grenades are a quick and easy way to get rid of turrets you expect, such as in bunkers, but aside from that, you don’t have much choice but to carry a high-caliber weapon. Chain lighting CBM deals with them fairly well, directional EMP is utterly worthless since you have to be next to them anyway.

Against gun-toting NPCs? Run them over in an enclosed vehicle?

There’s a quick overview for weapon-based martial arts.

Passive Bonus: Gives 1 additional dodge per turn.
Special: On a successful dodge, your future attacks have a bonus to-hit equal to 40% of your dexterity. This can stack up to four dodges for a total of 160% of your dexterity. Lasts 3 turns after the last successful dodge.

Techniques:
Dirty hit (1): Whenever you inflict a critical hit, stun the enemy for 1 turn.
Hamstring (2): Whenever you inflict a critical hit, down the enemy for 3 turns.
Silat Brutality (3): Whenever you inflict a critical hit, knock back an enemy and stun them for 1 turn.
Vicious Precision (4): Whenever you inflict a critical hit, deal 50% more weapon damage.

Applicable weapons:
Extendable Baton
Bionic Blade
Bowling Pin
Cudgel
Pipe
Pointy Stick
Pool Cue
PR24 Baton
Tonfa
Primitive Knife
Quarterstaff
Rebar
Scythe
War Scythe
Shock Staff
Tactical Tonfa (On and Off)
Sickle
Shishkebab (On and Off)
Diamond Knife
Diamond Machete
Diving Knife
Sharpened Rebar
Rebar
Knife Spear
Steel Spear
Wooden Spear
Heavy Stick
Tanto
No. 9 (On and off)
Kris
Machete
Combat Knife
Makeshift Halberd
Makeshift Knife
Makeshift Machete
Golf Club
Hockey Stick
Ironshod Staff
Javelin
Iron Javelin

Passive Bonus: N/a
Special: After moving, increase pierce damage by 2 and to-hit by 1. Stacks two times. Lasts two turns after last movement action. Requires 2 melee skill.

Techniques:
Feint: Missed attacks take less time to recover (Random value between 33% to 100% of original value)
Fencing Thrust (1): Regular attacks have a chance of dealing 25% more cut damage and being 25% faster.
Fencing Lunge (2): Regular attacks have a chance of being 50% faster.
Fencing Stop Thrust (3): Whenever you block an attack, immediately counter attack, dealing 50% more cut damage and stunning the enemy for 1 turn.

Applicable Weapons:
Forged Sword
Broadsword
Rapier
Firebrand (On and Off)

Passive Bonus: Increases bashing damage by 20%. Minimum 1 melee.
Special: On a successful hit, increase bashing and cut damage by 10%. Lasts 3 turns after last successful hit. Techniques “Free Strike” and “Combination Strike” can only activate while under this effect. Minimum 2 melee.

Techniques:
Snap Strike (0): Regular attacks have a chance of being 20% faster.
Fan Strike (2): Regular attacks have a chance of being 25% faster.
Combination Strike (2): Regular attacks have a chance of being 20% faster and dealing 50% more damage.
Puño strike (3): Whenever you land a critical hit with a weapon that has at least 2 bashing damage, you have a chance of dealing 4x more bashing damage and stunning the enemy for one turn.
Knee Strike (3): Whenever you land a critical hit, you have a chance of downing the enemy for 2 turns. Minimum 3 Unarmed.
Round Strike (4): Regular attacks have a chance of being 40% faster.
Free Strike (4): Regular attacks have a chance of taking no time at all.

Applicable Weapons:
2x4
Extended Baton
Copper Pipe
Bee Sting
Wasp String
Wrench
Bionic Blade
Bowling Pin
Cane
Cudgel
Primitive Hammer
Punch Dagger
Scissors
Screwdriver
Diving Knife
Combat Knife
Pocket Knife
Pool Cue
Primitive Knife
Hammer
Tanto
Umbrella
Glass Shiv
Diamond Knife
Diamond Machete
Triffid Fighter Sting
No.9 (On and Off)
Sharpened Toothbrush
Shishkebab (On and Off)
Heavy Stick
Combat Knife
Machete
Makeshift Knife
Makeshift Machete
Pipe

They’ll spawn in a dojo if you find one IIRC.

Dojo’s can have them? I saw one once but only found clothes. Good to know you can get them from a cbm as well though. Also, that format that you posted for the melee weapon skills was amazingly detailed, exactly the kinda information I was looking for. Where did you find that and does such info exist for the other martial arts styles and such?

They’ll spawn in a dojo if you find one IIRC.[/quote]

All of the styles in “Martial Arts Training” can spawn in dojos. Muay Thai and Boxing can spawn in boxing gyms. Rest need love.

That is awesome, thanks for all the great info, any tips on what Martial Art I should go for? I strongly prefer defense.

Well, avoid lizard style entirely since it’s incomplete; no special techniques or buffs.

Zui Quan would probably be your best bet as a defensive MA, infinite dodge chances after attacking (does not require a hit), feinting to reduce miss recovery, intelligence slightly increases dodge chance (+1 dodge skill at 9 int, +2 dodge skill at 17 int), and a pretty nice counter (+25% damage and +25% speed). However, you’ll either need to take it during character creation or debug in a manual.

Taekwando’s passive makes you blocks scales off strength (10 strength is 8 additional armor, 15 strength is 12), you get 5 blocks per turn, and all of its techniques either stun or down.

Boxing is a good balance between defense and offense, you get three special regular attacks (one stuns for 2 turns), you can gain +1 dodge chance after moving (stacks twice), a damage bonus that scales slightly with dexterity/perception, a blocking bonus equal to 1/2 of your strength (though only 2 blocks per turn), a counterattack bonus (+25% damage), and a really nasty counterattack crit (+50% damage, +50% speed, stuns for 2 turns, and 1-2 knockback).

Toad style gets an honorable mention, it gives an additional 3 armor on standing still (about the same as armor bionics), its single technique downs an opponent for one turn and is twice as fast as a regular attack. Again, you’ll either need to take it during character creation or debug in a manual.

This is awesome info… where did you find all this out?

The info’s available to anyone if you want to code-dive a bit. I tried modding in a joke martial art that used speech skill instead of melee/unarmed.

[quote=“Blaze, post:8, topic:7191”]Well, avoid lizard style entirely since it’s incomplete; no special techniques or buffs.

Zui Quan would probably be your best bet as a defensive MA, infinite dodge chances after attacking (does not require a hit), feinting to reduce miss recovery, intelligence slightly increases dodge chance (+1 dodge skill at 9 int, +2 dodge skill at 17 int), and a pretty nice counter (+25% damage and +25% speed). However, you’ll either need to take it during character creation or debug in a manual.

Taekwando’s passive makes you blocks scales off strength (10 strength is 8 additional armor, 15 strength is 12), you get 5 blocks per turn, and all of its techniques either stun or down.

Boxing is a good balance between defense and offense, you get three special regular attacks (one stuns for 2 turns), you can gain +1 dodge chance after moving (stacks twice), a damage bonus that scales slightly with dexterity/perception, a blocking bonus equal to 1/2 of your strength (though only 2 blocks per turn), a counterattack bonus (+25% damage), and a really nasty counterattack crit (+50% damage, +50% speed, stuns for 2 turns, and 1-2 knockback).

Toad style gets an honorable mention, it gives an additional 3 armor on standing still (about the same as armor bionics), its single technique downs an opponent for one turn and is twice as fast as a regular attack. Again, you’ll either need to take it during character creation or debug in a manual.[/quote]

Huh, hadn’t known TKD was that good. Toad Style’s supposed to be the best armor available. Will look into upgrading it after all.