Some noob questions

New zombie food here with a bunch of questions!

Is there a way to prevent all skills from improving in the latest experimental other than @+space? Since there is no way to tell if a skill is disabled until it starts improving it can be difficult to get them all turned off without constantly checking @. Ignore that, it’s enter, not space.

Are there training manuals or another way to learn the better unarmed styles (Muay Thai, Krav Maga etc) without taking the self-defense training attribute at character creation? Skill books for generic styles like karate and judo are everywhere in dojos but I have never found any for rarer martial arts.

Where do you get materials to make ammunition? In version 0.A I found a few gun stores with manufacturing rooms but those were rare and I haven’t found any in the latest experimental.

Are there cases where disinfectant wont work to prevent infection? I have a bite wound that is currently at the “swollen and painful” stage but disinfectant doesn’t seem to be doing anything.

Why do firearms lose so much damage so quickly? Testing with a SKS loaded with 7.62x39 M67 ammunition I found that it lost about half of it’s damage at 15 tiles away (30-40 damage vs 70). Is this intended? What weapons/rounds are best for mid-long range engagement?

Are there training manuals or another way to learn the better unarmed styles (Muay Thai, Krav Maga etc) without taking the self-defense training attribute at character creation? Skill books for generic styles like karate and judo are everywhere in dojos but I have never found any for rarer martial arts.
Some of the styles dont have books, (toad style and things like that) others are just very rare.
Where do you get materials to make ammunition? In version 0.A I found a few gun stores with manufacturing rooms but those were rare and I haven't found any in the latest experimental.

You can pull apart other ammo you dont want, gun stores should still be there, you have just gotten unlucky, there is also a type of gunstore that spawns now that has a backroom that is stuffed with ammo crafting gear and supplies. With high enough skills and the right books you can also craft most ammo crafting supplies except for primers and casings.

Are there cases where disinfectant wont work to prevent infection? I have a bite wound that is currently at the "swollen and painful" stage but disinfectant doesn't seem to be doing anything.
If the infection is too far along, disinfectant wont help, you need antibiotics (sounds like the stage you are at). If you can, always carry a bottle of disinfectant and clean wounds as soon as is viable.
Why do firearms lose so much damage so quickly? Testing with a SKS loaded with 7.62x39 M67 ammunition I found that it lost about half of it's damage at 15 tiles away (30-40 damage vs 70). Is this intended? What weapons/rounds are best for mid-long range engagement?

Most of your damage at range is defined by your accuracy, which comes from your markmanship/skill (skill is a pretty big factor in using guns ingame) in that type of gun. At point blank with a little bit of skill, you will get alot of headshots/critical hits, this will drop off very fast at range. Why such a dropoff at 15 or so meters with guns that have normal ranges of 100s of meters irl? Works in terms of the game. Best weapon will depend on what you are fighting, normal Zs/less strong things, a .22 marlin with a few mods and FMJ or LR ammo can be a perfectly serviceable ‘walking around’ gun, might take a few shots to kill, but recoil is almost zero, ammo comes in big stacks and it will train your gun skills up nicely. Turrets and more nasty enemies id say an SKS at minimum, preferably a .308 or 30-06 with rounds with high armor pierce though (savage is a gun I often like for clearing military bases).
In a more general sense, you want a gun with very low dispersion (basically accuracy), low recoil if you can, but its not essential for guns that can 1 shot fairly well, something with a damage bonus also cant hurt. Gun mods can generally ‘buff out’ just about any gun into something fairly decent though. Generally I find what defines my choice is usually what I have alot of ammo for, if ive got piles of 9mm, then im tricking a glock out and rolling with that, if ive got 200 shottie slugs, then ok, pump action it is. Either way I try to roll with a ‘walking around’ gun for standard stuff, small handcannon (redhawk, rivetec pistol) for more nasty stuff and maybe I break out a smg for clearing a mall or something where I know I will face piles of normal Zs.

Dont be afraid to just let things come close before you blow their heads off though, do more damage = use less ammo.

MA styles, by book location:
Dojo: Karate, Judo, Akido, Tai Chi, Taekwondo
Boxing Gym: Boxing, Muay Thai (rarely)

No current location: the rest of 'em

[quote=“KA101, post:3, topic:6977”]MA styles, by book location:

No current location: the rest of 'em[/quote]

Wait, are you telling me my wannabe ninja shall never fulfill her dream?

You made a crippled bunch of bits very sad this day.

[quote=“Daidalon, post:4, topic:6977”][quote=“KA101, post:3, topic:6977”]MA styles, by book location:

No current location: the rest of 'em[/quote]

Wait, are you telling me my wannabe ninja shall never fulfill her dream?

You made a crippled bunch of bits very sad this day.[/quote]

And then the very sad crippled bunch of bits had an idea!

She thought "I bet the military might have folks training for sneaky stuff, or maybe just plain unarmed-fighting. maybe the cops would have that stuff too. I’ve been Told that it isn’t in the game…YET! If I pray to my Player think it really hard, maybe xe someone will hear me and make a miracle happen add new spawn locations and file a PR so one day I’ll find my ninja book Ninjutsu books might spawn!

“In fact, there’s a console over there!” With her eyes burning fiercely with renewed hope, she pulled herself to the console and began typing…

You managed to turn my black humor joke into a call to arms for the jokester.

Well played, KA, well played.

Well played, KA, well played.[/quote]

Been here over a year now, so I’d hope I picked up something in all this time.

As for the details, I could imagine a dance studio having the dance books and on occasion Capoiera, maybe Zui Quan (in the absence of dance studios, fitness gym offices would probably have the books); miloutposts could have Ninjutsu and KM. Liquor stores probably would NOT stock books on how to fight effectively whilst drunk but the back room of a bar might be a good spot.

Well played, KA, well played.[/quote]

Been here over a year now, so I’d hope I picked up something in all this time.

As for the details, I could imagine a dance studio having the dance books and on occasion Capoiera, maybe Zui Quan (in the absence of dance studios, fitness gym offices would probably have the books); miloutposts could have Ninjutsu and KM. Liquor stores probably would NOT stock books on how to fight effectively whilst drunk but the back room of a bar might be a good spot.[/quote]

or I could just make a dance studio and a hidden spec ops camp.

Maria shall become the 1 armed, no legged ninja master! (fun tip, brawling<hulk<npc with grenade launcher)

On the topic of guns, I would say that current mechanics are iffy. If your gun is shooting ammo stronger than 9mm you want to shoot everything at point blank range (read: the zombie is in the tile next to you) as you will constantly insta kill everything but the strongest of zombies.

So you just end treating your guns like if they were knives with ammo…

Thanks for the replies! I am pretty sure disinfectant should have worked at the stage the wound was at. On the wiki it says it should have worked. Was something changed in the experimental and the wiki is outdated?

Another question: How do you get to a lab finale without freezing to death? I haven’t ever found one because the temperature dropped to -70F a few floors below the surface.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:9, topic:6977”]On the topic of guns, I would say that current mechanics are iffy. If your gun is shooting ammo stronger than 9mm you want to shoot everything at point blank range (read: the zombie is in the tile next to you) as you will constantly insta kill everything but the strongest of zombies.

So you just end treating your guns like if they were knives with ammo…[/quote]

Kinda realistic against guys with no range attack… try that on shocker or turret though :slight_smile:

[quote=“SteelBlueWolf, post:10, topic:6977”]Thanks for the replies! I am pretty sure disinfectant should have worked at the stage the wound was at. On the wiki it says it should have worked. Was something changed in the experimental and the wiki is outdated?

Another question: How do you get to a lab finale without freezing to death? I haven’t ever found one because the temperature dropped to -70F a few floors below the surface.[/quote]

When in doubt, the wiki is outdated. DDA dev pace makes updating it an exercise in futility. :frowning: And yeah, you need antibiotics once it’s Infected.

Half of the labs are freezing. The other half are not. You’ve had some bad rolls. Sorry, SteelBlueWolf–but welcome to the forums.

[quote=“SteelBlueWolf, post:10, topic:6977”]Thanks for the replies! I am pretty sure disinfectant should have worked at the stage the wound was at. On the wiki it says it should have worked. Was something changed in the experimental and the wiki is outdated?

Another question: How do you get to a lab finale without freezing to death? I haven’t ever found one because the temperature dropped to -70F a few floors below the surface.[/quote]

Getting down to the bottom of an icelab requires a bit of preparation. If you dont want to work it out for yourself, here is how I go about it:

Right, so you are going to want good winter gear and an internal climate control cbm as well as decent power storage (50+ should be ok?) and a power source, internal furnace is probs best. Full fur gear/winter gear (hat, long scarf, gloves, boots, cloak, everything you can get your hands on), thermal clothes, 2x leg warmers/arm warmers etc. So you will either have to do alot of lucky looting or have good tailoring, probably both, as well as a car to carry all this stuff in. Once you are fully decked out, you will probably have some nasty torso enc, so melee is out, guns are the smart way to go, as long as your arm enc isnt too crazy, you should be ok. As you move through, mark stairs down on your map, it will probably take you a couple of runs to get deep enough. Keep moving down till you start to get chilly, then turn the internal climate control on, if you have the batteries and electric thermal gear, they go on next. Dont waste any time while you are down there, only butcher Zs that have cbms in them, no crafting/book reading, obvious stuff. If there are no cbms/loot you really want on the floor/you just want the finale, move down, dont bother looking for loot, once you are full/start getting frostbite, move back up to the surface and stand by a fire till you get fixed. After a few runs up and down you should have a decent map to the lower levels, on your final run, you are generally always going to get badly frostbitten, just keep pushing on if you have a fair idea where the finale is.

just keep pushing on if you have a fair idea where the finale is.
Is there a way to tell what the finale is going to be before reaching it?

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:13, topic:6977”]Getting down to the bottom of an icelab requires a bit of preparation. If you dont want to work it out for yourself, here is how I go about it:

Right, so you are going to want good winter gear and an internal climate control cbm as well as decent power storage (50+ should be ok?) and a power source, internal furnace is probs best. Full fur gear/winter gear (hat, long scarf, gloves, boots, cloak, everything you can get your hands on), thermal clothes, 2x leg warmers/arm warmers etc. So you will either have to do alot of lucky looting or have good tailoring, probably both, as well as a car to carry all this stuff in. Once you are fully decked out, you will probably have some nasty torso enc, so melee is out, guns are the smart way to go, as long as your arm enc isnt too crazy, you should be ok. As you move through, mark stairs down on your map, it will probably take you a couple of runs to get deep enough. Keep moving down till you start to get chilly, then turn the internal climate control on, if you have the batteries and electric thermal gear, they go on next. Dont waste any time while you are down there, only butcher Zs that have cbms in them, no crafting/book reading, obvious stuff. If there are no cbms/loot you really want on the floor/you just want the finale, move down, dont bother looking for loot, once you are full/start getting frostbite, move back up to the surface and stand by a fire till you get fixed. After a few runs up and down you should have a decent map to the lower levels, on your final run, you are generally always going to get badly frostbitten, just keep pushing on if you have a fair idea where the finale is.

It also helps to do it in the summer - if it’s 50 degrees warmer on the surface, it’ll be 50 degrees warmer in the lab (which is still too damn cold). Also torsion ratchets are great for powering internal climate control, since they cost nothing to use and produce power faster than the climate control uses it, as long as you keep moving.

[quote=“SteelBlueWolf, post:14, topic:6977”]

just keep pushing on if you have a fair idea where the finale is.

Is there a way to tell what the finale is going to be before reaching it?[/quote]

Generally nothing easy, though lower levels are generally smaller so you shouldnt have huge issues as long as you arent silly about it, if you have been frostbitten for a while and have mapped half the floor, may as well move back up. You can cheat to find it or if you start having walls blasted around you you have a finale with a flaming eye, its a bad finale loot wise, but easy to find :slight_smile:

How about turrets shooting thru walls? I am on day 18(of 30) of autumn. Well prepared skill-wise. Had to pull back, when turret ripped my thermal underwear. Must find some power armor i guess…

The issue is more along the lines of sight mechanics being iffy around doors, not “turrets shoot through walls”. -_-

Dont be carrying a light source ever when there are turrets about. Generally you get the first shot, just make it a good one.

Thought of that myself. I had lightamps on me… So lame :slight_smile: Btw, do turrets emit enough heat to be seen with thermal googles?