Major updates to .pot file on the way

I’ll be changing the way we deal with some translatable strings soon.

This will mean that the .pot file will be updating to be incompatible with 0.8.

I’ve set up an 0.8 series on launchpad at translations.launchpad.net/cdda/0.8, which will keep the 0.8 version of the .pot file. 0.8 translations can continue to be done there.

Major changes will probably start in the next few days. Hopefully for most of them i’ll be able to automatically convert the translations, for example i’ll be removing the “” tag, so i’ll write a script to automatically remove it from the translations as well. Just be aware that the new translation files will be incompatible with 0.8.

If the pot incompatible 0.8 ,how to inherit the old translate text?

Well, it will be mostly compatible. A few things may need to be translated again, but not many. The translations will almost all carry over to the new .pot file, but it just won’t work with 0.8 because many of the english strings will be different.

For example if a spelling mistake gets fixed in the english, the translation is kept, but it stops working for old versions, because they expect the spelling mistake to still be there.

I thought I’d better give a warning because the Chinese and Russian Launchpad groups don’t have 0.8 branches yet. So if someone updates the .pot on those launchpad groups (I think for Russian it updates automatically) it will break the 0.8 translations there.

I’ll make sure to save all the current translations before doing it, anyway. It looks like zh_CN is at 100% for 0.8 strings :).

Please, do couple thinks before:
*Mark for translation strings from mapgen: “Evac shelter computer” and “Emergency Message” from mapgen.cpp +4070

• “Stepped on a lane mine” should be -> “Stepped on a land mine” from trapfunc.cpp +410.

I don’t want to do pull request for this little things.

zh_TW reached 80% , should I continue there ?

or move my work to here ?> https://translations.launchpad.net/cdda/0.8/

[quote=“xap, post:5, topic:3190”]zh_TW reached 80% , should I continue there ?

or move my work to here ?> https://translations.launchpad.net/cdda/0.8/[/quote]
If you want to keep working on translations for the 0.8 release then yeah, it’s a good idea to move them there.

Makes things easier for me that way, too :).

[quote=“LazyCat-rus, post:4, topic:3190”]Please, do couple thinks before:
*Mark for translation strings from mapgen: “Evac shelter computer” and “Emergency Message” from mapgen.cpp +4070

• “Stepped on a lane mine” should be -> “Stepped on a land mine” from trapfunc.cpp +410.

I don’t want to do pull request for this little things.[/quote]
Gosh, none of the computer names or options were translatable. I went through and marked them all. I also ended up changing “landmine”, “boobytrap” and “bubblewrap” to “land mine”, “booby trap”, “bubble wrap” everywhere. So, ended up being more than a little thing.

I’m not sure if anything yet has been enough to warrant an 0.8.1 release. It would be nice to put out a release with the updated translations, but if they can be packaged separately it might not be necessary.

[quote=“yobbo, post:6, topic:3190”][quote=“xap, post:5, topic:3190”]zh_TW reached 80% , should I continue there ?

or move my work to here ?> https://translations.launchpad.net/cdda/0.8/[/quote]
If you want to keep working on translations for the 0.8 release then yeah, it’s a good idea to move them there.

Makes things easier for me that way, too :).[/quote]

ok, I’ll tell my zh_TW translate team focus on the new site,

btw, the [integrated tool] have been translated, but not shown in game (craft menu), something goes wrong?

here
https://translations.launchpad.net/cdda/trunk/+pots/cataclysm-dda/zh_TW/+translate?batch=10&show=all&search=integrated+tool

Ahh, yes it looks like crafting uses an imaginary “integrated toolset” item which wasn’t translated. I just put up a fix for it on github. “nearby fire” was also untranslatable.

Can we have the actual changes since the pre-0.8 grand merge just appended to the end of file?

For the .po files, yes. For the .pot file no, the 0.8 version of the game simply wouldn’t know what to do with the updated english strings.

I’m tempted to suggest an 0.8.0.1 update to mark some of the strings that were missed or added (such as computer names/options, imaginary crafting ingredients, and first aid kits), but it does require some extra maintenance work.

I’ll get into the whole Launchpad installment for Serbian translation once I’m done (90% here, briefly) since I think this will aid you, yobbo as I think you’re into the whole routine.
The only thing is, I’m behind whole 0.8 and beyond lines of updates; this will also pose no trouble once there’s a Launchpad entry.

Okay, updates should be landing for the trunk series on launchpad in the next couple days.

I’ve set 0.8 as the recommended translation target for now, as that’s the latest official release, but i’ll probably switch it back over to trunk when the new updates land.

@vultures: Yeah it is easy to manage if they’re all together. I’ve been wondering how the sr translation is going :). Now’s a good time to upload to launchpad, while the 0.8 and trunk versions are still pretty much identical.

[quote=“yobbo, post:12, topic:3190”]Okay, updates should be landing for the trunk series on launchpad in the next couple days.

I’ve set 0.8 as the recommended translation target for now, as that’s the latest official release, but i’ll probably switch it back over to trunk when the new updates land.

@vultures: Yeah it is easy to manage if they’re all together. I’ve been wondering how the sr translation is going :). Now’s a good time to upload to launchpad, while the 0.8 and trunk versions are still pretty much identical.[/quote]

hi yobbo! Is there something wrong in the newest zn_ch.po?

I found some German string…like “Die Flamme erloschen.”,“Was willst du tun?”

there is string:13113/13117/13121/13125/13129/13133/13137/13141/13145/13149/13153

Can you recheck it when you have time?

That’s intended, there are a few items that have non-english strings associated with them in the english locale, and I recognize that as one of them.
I’m not sure what to do about them, should they be annotated with their english translations somehow? Also what should they translate to, if anything? Might just leave it german, but I don’t want to tell you guys to do with the translations, and different appropaches might make more sense for different languages.

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:14, topic:3190”]That’s intended, there are a few items that have non-english strings associated with them in the english locale, and I recognize that as one of them.
I’m not sure what to do about them, should they be annotated with their english translations somehow? Also what should they translate to, if anything? Might just leave it german, but I don’t want to tell you guys to do with the translations, and different appropaches might make more sense for different languages.[/quote]

Wellwell~Because of the almighty google…I can translate nearly everything :DDD

I put some translator comments in, should make it a little less confusing for translators (and coders, come to think of it) in the future.