Magiclysm: A Total Fantasy Overhaul

I believe they only show up at night, like the Will O’ Wisps.

1 Like

so i thought i’d drop in and give a slight update: i’m working on the ability to add “enchantments” to items. This is currently just in the stage where you can add bonuses to items in json, but i think it might be interesting to try to write some kind of item enchantment system, where you do some magic and get an enchantment. no details have been hammered out for that, and it is going on the end of a list of projects, but it is definitely a thing I thought of.

6 Likes

Is there a use for demon chitin yet? If not it will probably be a few days before I get around to it but I’m considering dusting off my meager modding skills and making recipes for demon chitin armor that’s basically biocalcified chitin armor with the acid protection switched to fire protection.

No not yet, but i would be happy to accept json contributions (with the right balance of course)
If you have specific questions about how to go about it you should drop by the official discord. https://discord.gg/jFEc7Yp
I or one of the devs would be happy to help get you on the right track.

1 Like

i have been thinking this idea of adding spells/class kind of as a trapper but with magic, like lying down “glyphs”, someone steps on it and boom, damage ensues. Making it a something like a bit tactical; but i dont know if its possible with the current system (because it would need to affect the terrain), or if its better to make a recipe for runes, that behaves as a trap to be deployed, and add them as different recipes and effects.

Have been wanting to try a trapper but there is not variety on the traps and they take a long time to deploy.

I think KorG added the abilty for spells to cast fields (how the game handles radiation and, i think, smoke and acid) so this doesn’t seem like much of stretch. I haven’t looked at what options are available to modders in magiclysm right now, it may be possible to do with the current system.

edit: This is the documentation on magic
edit2: It looks like it may be possible to drop a cloud of acid or even transform terrain into a trap. I’m not sure how it’d all work without testing for myself.

2 Likes

i had the idea at one point to make it possible for traps to cast spells, but ended up not doing anything about it at the time. this is another avenue i think i’d like to examine at some point in C++, though looking at my current workload i dont’ know if i personally can do it any time soon.

1 Like

first I want to say thank you for the great mod !
Japanese players are also enjoying your mod and looking forward to the next updates. but I feel really sorry we can’t feedback much because there is language barrier. I will try though.

By the way I have one question. Is there any way to write spell sound effects to Json files ? as you know the sound is very very important in the Games. it would be more fun magics.

yes, sound effects are a thing recently worked on. https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/33615 and https://github.com/CleverRaven/Cataclysm-DDA/pull/33493 have added custom messages to spells, if that’s what you mean? or do you mean the “explosion” stuff?

1 Like

Hey KorGgenT,

This was brought to my attention by a member of my Discord community (Bill Tipton).

Magus Stat Spells: Cat, Eagle, Fox, Ogre do not allow each to be active at same time AND do not update/over-write when a new one is cast. Mana is expended on a successful cast but the first one you cast stays in place. No idea why, but in my testing if i cast Ogre last it DID overwrite…but that was the only combination i found where it happened.

For example: If i cast these 4 spells in this order: Ogre, Fox, Eagle, Cat…when complete i have used 2000 mana but my character only has the Ogre bonus (+2 STR).

I also can’t find a way to reset/increase Mana through the Debug menu (would be nice for testing Magiclysm stuff).

1 Like

Thanks for the response and apology for my bad English. my explain was not enough.
I just wanted to write a “type”: “sound_effect” in sound-set like this.

{
    "type": "sound_effect",
    "id" : "fire_gun",
    "volume" : 80,
    "variant" : "druid_woodshaft",
    "files" : ["guns/archery_generic/weapon_fire_arrow.ogg"]
}

yes.I know it is not a gun but I’ve just tried. this example did not work.
probably the sound_effect is not implemented yet or I got a mistake in my code ?

that is not implemented yet. i will add it to my todo list.

1 Like

OK, I’m glad to confirm it. Thanks !

How do I enchant something in this mod ?

KorGgenT (mod creator) announced he was working on adding enchantments 2 days ago. So currently, you don’t enchant anything. But, soon…

1 Like

Loving this mod so far, I’ve been playing with quite a few spells and I’ve run into a few new enemies. I can only speak to what I’ve got avalible so far of course, I ended up going magnus/stormshaper/technomancer/biomancer and I don’t know how many more spells for those there are to find. These are what I’ve got available:
Spell%20list

Some feedback:
Some of the spells seem to bottom out quite early, Holysword and Divine Armor come to mind. They have a max level of 20 but don’t get any better beyond the first few levels, I dunno if you have something planned for the future for this though. Since it seems intentional that it’s a short term spell I’d suggest (if possible) giving it a modest damage or To Hit bonus based on spell level. Divine Armour I’d suggest (again, if possible) reducing the encumbrance value based on spell level.

Translocate Self seems OP for training the Spellcraft skill, I’ve got 16 Spellcraft almost entirely from grinding up that particular spell. To put it into context, I’ve never reacted level 16 in any skill ever before even in playthroughs that have lasted mutiple years.

Semi long term buffs, Cats grace, Bulls strength etc don’t stack, I dunno if that’s intentional but I’d say they probably should. They cost a lot of magic to cast and they don’t actually last that long, casting all 4 blows through more then half you magic pool unless you have crazy high intelligence and the traits that also increase mana. I think being able to go all out a couple of times a day isn’t imbalanced.

Failure Chance is hard for me to judge, as like I mentioned above, I ground out Translocate Self to high level as one of my first spells so I’ve been running with pretty high spellcraft almost right from the beginning.

1 Like

Spellcraft skill ups is based on the difficulty of skill trained +3? so it’s not really op it’s just a high difficulty spell. I have played 30ish days and haven’t found a spell over level 6 so you had a bit of luck there.

Encumbrance also drastically effects failure chance

Like I said, I can’t speak to failure rate but Translocate Self is difficulty 15 and has a max level of 25, if you find that spell you almost can’t not end up with crazy high Spellcraft. It’s why I specified that spell as being unbalanced rather then the system itself.

1 Like

I get what your saying but that is an extremely rare spell from what I have seen… ie after playing 100s of hours of Magiclysm I have not gotten that spell. Also, I think that is intended because I don’t think that spellcraft is meant to be structurally limited like say mechanics. Without reworking the code I dont see a way to make it so you have to train multiple spells to level spellcraft

I see your point, if it’s a rare spell I guess I got lucky and with the limits of the system being what it is it might not be possible to avoid but spellcraft affects failure chance on all spells so it kind of seems too much if you get what I mean?

I dunno, I’ve made my point anyways so it will be up to KorGgenT to decide if he wants to change anything. It doesn’t really bother me one way or another but I thought I should be fair with my feedback and ignoring something that could possibly be abused would be remiss of me.

1 Like