Longer reached melee weapons?

Hi I just discovered this gem and I’m amazed by the sheer amount of contents you guys were able to stuff in this tiny game. My question is are there any melee weapons with longer reaches? I’m thinking of how useful certain pole weapons would be in a world infested with zombies. They can be used to attack creatures more than one square away without needing to be standing next to them, but if you do have enemies in the square next to you, then you get some sort of melee penalty.

making mele weapon like this is impossible but you can mod a gun with infinite ammo and short range (2 tiles maybe?) and give it name of long mele weapon

Not yet. We’ve kicked around the idea a bit and figured out how you could possibly do it, but nobody has gotten around to implementing it yet.

… I’d never though of that. Now I kinda want to make a spear or something, though I’m not sure how I’d do infinite ammo. Can melee be used as a skill for ranged weapons?

Me to the rescue!

{ "id": "dakka", "type": "GUN", "symbol": "(", "color": "brown", "name": Big shoota", "description": "Geez diz gun got a lotta DAKKA, boss.", "price": 5000, "material": "iron", "flags": ["NO_AMMO", "MODE_BURST","NEVER_JAMS"], "skill": "rifle", "ammo": "generic_no_ammo", "weight": 96, "volume": 12, "bashing": 0, "cutting": 0, "to_hit": -2, "ranged_damage": 30, "range": 100, "dispersion": 0, "recoil": 0, "durability": 6, "burst": 40, "clip_size": 1, "reload": 100 },

Yeah, infinite dakka. Just change description damage and rage to your liking

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:5, topic:5905”]Me to the rescue!

{ "id": "dakka", "type": "GUN", "symbol": "(", "color": "brown", "name": Big shoota", "description": "Geez diz gun got a lotta DAKKA, boss.", "price": 5000, "material": "iron", "flags": ["NO_AMMO", "MODE_BURST","NEVER_JAMS"], "skill": "rifle", "ammo": "generic_no_ammo", "weight": 96, "volume": 12, "bashing": 0, "cutting": 0, "to_hit": -2, "ranged_damage": 30, "range": 100, "dispersion": 0, "recoil": 0, "durability": 6, "burst": 40, "clip_size": 1, "reload": 100 },

Yeah, infinite dakka. Just change description damage and rage to your liking[/quote]
Never enuff dakka, boss.

{ "id": "long_spear", "type": "GUN", "symbol": "(", "color": "brown", "name": "long spear", "description": "A long spear to stab enemies at a distance!", "price": 5000, "material": "iron", "flags": ["NO_AMMO", "MODE_BURST","NEVER_JAMS"], "skill": "melee", "ammo": "generic_no_ammo", "weight": 96, "volume": 12, "bashing": 0, "cutting": 0, "to_hit": -2, "ranged_damage": 30, "range": 2, "dispersion": 0, "recoil": 0, "durability": 6, "burst": 0, "clip_size": 1, "reload": 100 },

Okay, I tried this and it whined about using the melee skill to shoot it, but didn’t seem to have any other problems. Now to try it on a zombie! Update shortly.

EDIT: Okay, this is not balanced in any way, but it DOES work, even with the melee skill… The only problem is it throws a debug message everytime you “stab” someone with it, so I should probably switch it to a gun skill.