I meant carry 2 diff melee weps to negate the only downside of Reach Attacks.
Some good points and examples, the only problem is those are edge case scenarios or have multiple, or bigger consequences.
-Vehicles as mentioned can’t be used for buildings, all but the strongest are easily damaged especially now with shock and requiring shock absorbs, costs fuel unless electric, the noise and headlights attracting zambies from longer range, run the risk of breaking down in a horde, takes alot of monster evolving time to properly build a vehicle capable of doing so more than once or twice, with that composite armor, rollers, electric motor and panels, shock absorbs etc.
-Being able to setup traps as a whack-a-mole especially flat digging holes is a luxury for situations that then must be so non threatening enough as to maybe have multiple other options, or being used in edge cases, probably has alot of Weariness penalty, guessing pits can’t be dug on roads or in buildings, can’t dig pits/trap very well during a chase/combat, need to level up traps.
-Fire takes a long time - needing to stay close in the reality bubble, even then has a relatively short range of effectiveness considering, is unreliable and as mentioned destroys loot.
-Not sure about zombie pheromones since never really seen or used, surely can’t just farm them so easily, not lasting long, taking extra weariness to dissect etc.
-Quick weapons usually mean less damage and still run the risk of being hit or worse - grabbed.
-Guns blazing is ranged weaponry, mid/late as mentioned, finite ammo and an outlier as ranged attacking with the amount of ammo around is in itself strong and a whole other debate.
Again most of that is edge case situations, multiple drawbacks or generally not that OP
Even if they are OP, as you said:
Meanwhile Reach Attacks are back to front - It’s OP in the majority of melee combat and only has one drawback.
In the rare times (maybe not at all if you play around it well enough) you’re stuck in close range to be affected by that only drawback, you can entirely negate it - you can melee weapon swap, you can stagger run kite a fast enemy before then, you can clear places like streets and buildings first before going into narrow parts especially with the use of rollerblades and fleet foot, you can consider not even going into narrow parts (without at least scouting what’s nearby first if absolutely necessary) and you’d need strong enough monsters to survive all the kiting and attacking full output of a normal weapon while being backed into a corner. After all that, it’s just a 30% damage penalty when it does manage to kick in.
So Reach Attacks allows you to negate say 70% of danger, from the start of the game, with 15% of situations being too tough for melee either way like deadly ranged or hordes and 15% of the time facing a 30% damage penalty when outplayed and trapped.
I’d still use Reach Attacks if the 30% damage penalty was permanent, personally.