Let's talk about rain!

Acid rain’s gone. How about we discuss some replacement ideas.

Here’s mine.
Toxic rain. Will pool up and produce clouds of unhealthy smoke. Yuck! Could irradiate you as well.
Occurs around toxin dumps.

I kinda like it. +0.9

I’ve never survived long enough to know: is snow a tangible, believabley-functioning thing in Cata? If not, now seems a potentially good time to figure it out.

I’d rather have acid rain back, since it caused pain but wasn’t lethal. I’d be ok with toxic rain if the pools and clouds were a potentially blockading hazard rather than a harm-guarantee. Otherwise, it’s just hide indoors and pray until it’s done. At least acid rain you could survive, at a price. Irradiation causes major damage by comparison.

If region-based weather becomes a thing (I heard acid rain might be more common near portals?) I still think ash fallout like the sort you’d get from a volcano might be interesting - after all we do have lava veins as a thing. Idk where the seismic activity is coming from but whatever. Ashfall would include coughing for the unprotected and somewhat reduced visibility - idk about lowering mobility for everything (ash piles up after all) but it’d be, again, ideally a hazard rather than lethal.

AFAIK acid rain will be back, but it won’t be a global phenomenon, instead depend on the area and proximity to the portals. So if you can run away far enough from portals then acid rain won’t pose a serious problem.

Toxic smoke is something I’d like to see gather around a portal, as according to the lore:

From several of these strikes, the portals absorb the energy and create a larger, fluctuating rift that allows noxious alien chemicals to billow forth in huge plumes. Those in the immediate area have their skin blister, boil, and slough off, and the chemicals quickly enter the atmosphere.

Ash fall out and extremely cold area with heavy snow seems like a good idea too, again:

Other areas have their portals turn into blistering infernos, or areas of extreme cold.

A jolly, black Christmas. Oh boy!
Racially sensitive snowmen!

The toxic irradiation would be slow. Don’t wade around in showers and puddles and you’ll be… sorta fine. Probably.

DRRR DRRRR DRRRR! Wildlife on the other hand…
[size=8pt]Moar mutants![/size]

I know having it rain 3 times a day in summer is a PIA and not all that realistic.

Welcome to New England. Weather in different parts of the world is different.

Welcome to New England. Weather in different parts of the world is different.[/quote]

Sweet holy hell, someone has broken your summer.
Where I grew up summer was that 6 months of the year without clouds.

Florida summers, it rain and thunders every damn day.

Over here in England, it’s usually the hottest during fucking winter.

And the last time it properly snowed was about five years ago.

[quote=“Slax, post:5, topic:6814”]A jolly, black Christmas. Oh boy!
Racially sensitive snowmen!

The toxic irradiation would be slow. Don’t wade around in showers and puddles and you’ll be… sorta fine. Probably.

DRRR DRRRR DRRRR! Wildlife on the other hand…
[size=8pt]Moar mutants![/size][/quote]

Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?

Toxic fog could provide a source of ammonia or some other chemical if condensed (since I really doubt our characters are up to recreating the Haber Process in most cases.) And, yeah, glad someone pointed out that 'technically raining intermittently most of the day is pretty par the course for New England."

[quote=“Slax, post:1, topic:6814”]Acid rain’s gone. How about we discuss some replacement ideas.

Here’s mine.
Toxic rain. Will pool up and produce clouds of unhealthy smoke. Yuck! Could irradiate you as well.
Occurs around toxin dumps.[/quote]
Acid rain is not gone. It just has nothing that causes it. It will be back with a vengeance. >:3
I will be making a way to define weather “causants” eventually, unless somebody does it first.
However, some changes might be needed to the way some stuff works in the overmap tiles, because tracking those causants could be difficult depending on what they are.
There was talk about a HAARP-like facility (the urban legend one, not the real one), and it would be interesting to explore that kind of “weather control”.
There’s also an artifact modifier that worsened the weather in the old system, but is currently unused in the new one.
Both that artifact, buildings like HAARP and te portals could be potential sources of acid rain and other effects, but the implementation hasn’t been discussed in depth yet.
So yeah. It’s not gone forever. =3

Welcome to New England. Weather in different parts of the world is different.[/quote]

Sweet holy hell, someone has broken your summer.
Where I grew up summer was that 6 months of the year without clouds.[/quote]

Th only time we get long stretches with no clouds is when it’s too cold for them to form. Ottawa summers the humid hot air rising up and cold air fronts make storms flipflop like one of those drinking bird souvenirs nobody buys anymore.

Finnish summer’s been real mean this year. Mostly humid heat spikes if we get any heat/sun at all. Today’s been good though.

Welcome to New England. Weather in different parts of the world is different.[/quote]Hey, New Englander here. We get way more sun than that. Sometimes a big storm system comes through and it rains off and on for a few couple days, but that’s the exception, not the rule.

Toxic rain sounds fine, but some other crazy rain would be good, too. With volcanic rifts opening up on-map, a rain of ash from a full-blown volcano seems plausible and horrible.

Yeah, It’s horrible here, isn’t it? Here in Uusimaa you can burn your skin in about 15 mins if you dont have sunscreen on. :frowning: If you shoot the sun down, I’ll give you an Euro.

Yeah, It’s horrible here, isn’t it? Here in Uusimaa you can burn your skin in about 15 mins if you dont have sunscreen on. :frowning: If you shoot the sun down, I’ll give you an Euro.[/quote]

It’ll probably cost more than 1 Euro to extinguish or disperse the sun, Zaweri. What sort of expense account are you offering?

KA101 will end Earth as we know it for his expenses, but no less!

Here in Nevada it is rare we get rain. Sometimes it will sprinkle a little bit through out the day, or once in a blue moon it will rain so hard there is flash floods!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hs8tpbe4Cis