Lava

Does the game have lava? IIRC I’ve never seen it, and a volcano area with molten rivers and stuff which counts as fire could be neato. Could even dig above an underground vent to create a lava moat, though better run if you’re underground and you dig into a lava flow.

Yeah, we do have lava. It is rare to see, but in a few places there are rifts where the lava is visible from the ground level. But other than that you would have to go down 1-3 z levels to see lava, it has it’s own cave system like the subway, only it is filled completely with lava.

Is it even possible to get down that far, with the current system of Z-levels?

My main experience with lava is going down in a lab, misthrowing a mininuke, and blasting a wall open.
It’s much easier to get that far down in a mine or a missile silo, but IME they’re less likely to be near a lake of lava.

You could also assemble a semitruck underground.

I once spawned a military truck in a lab, drove it for ~100 map tiles through straight stone before stopping.

Magma cracks show up in Mines from time to time; they can also pop up aboveground in similar fashion to scientist corpses. The multitile Rift/Hellmouth are indeed underground and tough to get at–especially as there’s nothing you can do with the Hellmouth.

Lava is only good for trapping dumb-ass zombies by using it as an obstacle. If you can draw them into it, they fall for it almost every time. Ants are impervious to lava because of there chitinous armor (oddly enough ants can still be killed by fire. Ikr, makes no sense). Flying enemies will fly right over it. I’m just spitting facts and hoping something gets through here.

I met lava in subway. Not an usual spot.

I’ve seen plenty of lava rifts on the surface, one even bisecting a gas station.

Unsurprisingly out you can use them as unlimited fire sources, fulfills all of your cooking/light/warmth needs.

Just to be clear, our lava does not act like DF lava (flowing around and such), and we don’t have any plans to make it so, the bizarre terraforming* thing you do in DF doesn’t fit our setting.

Also we currently have 11 z-levels, you can go down to -10, and there are features that go down that far, though it gets pretty sparse around -4 or so (I know, there was a spiral cavern mapgen bug I fixed a while back, and it was a right pain to get down there to test it). The whole NEW z-level thing is rendering multiple z-levels simultaneously, not just having more.

*Amaforming? Amarok + terraformaing.

That sounds like… Bowels of Hell. Uh oh. And I thought hell is on surface, and that science labs are scary with all these sound hallucinations. I was wrong. Descending into depths of Cataclysm’s world… now that asks for bad feeling.

Naah. -10 is the sarcophagus basement IIRC; the sounds are one particular critter. It’s a jagoff though as all the racket it makes certainly seems to spawn additional hostiles…

Naah. -10 is the sarcophagus basement IIRC; the sounds are one particular critter. It’s a jagoff though as all the racket it makes certainly seems to spawn additional hostiles…[/quote]
What’s down there, what does it do, and how does one get down there?

Naah. -10 is the sarcophagus basement IIRC; the sounds are one particular critter. It’s a jagoff though as all the racket it makes certainly seems to spawn additional hostiles…[/quote]

Never been there… Sounds like a good vacation destination.

Oh, it is. Pull up a chair and grab yourself a [size=1]radioactive-cyanide[/size] margarita. Put your feet up, relax, and just let it all go. You’ll be in paradise soon my friend… Very soon.
cough
Er. I mean go give it a look some time. It’s not like I’ve stolen all of your loot already, that would be ridiculous. Impossible even. Hey, what’s that over there?
gone

[quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:15, topic:1885”]Oh, it is. Pull up a chair and grab yourself a [size=12pt]radioactive[/size]-cyanide margarita. Put your feet up, relax, and just let it all go. You’ll be in paradise soon my friend… Very soon.
cough[/quote]

Nope , radiation makes him mutate. You are only doing him a favor.

[quote=“woflsipder, post:16, topic:1885”][quote=“TaintedHolyWater, post:15, topic:1885”]Oh, it is. Pull up a chair and grab yourself a [size=12pt]radioactive[/size]-cyanide margarita. Put your feet up, relax, and just let it all go. You’ll be in paradise soon my friend… Very soon.
cough[/quote]

Nope , radiation makes him mutate. You are only doing him a favor.[/quote]

Yay, rads can kill you now… My most successful guy died from radiation poisoning, which he, funny as hell, got from Severe radioactivity mutation. And here they go telling you that mutations aren’t bad. My rad badge turned black in like… 20 minutes or so.