Rift? What is Rift and why can I sense it through walls?

So I was in the LAB, and all of a sudden the (underground) map just off the edge of the Lab has this weird red line of tiles called “RIFT”.

“What the heck is this?” I wonder. So I blast through the one tile thick wall with sonic resonance.

…this may have been a mistake. Good thing I have heat management CBMs. What the heck is this Rift? It looks like The River Of Fire. Minus the bridges.

Also Shoggoths everywhere. Very confusing.

Possibly a bug that you can see it (and the shoggoths too) but lava rifts happen underground. There’s the small map_extra ones, and the huge multi-tile ones that are underground-only.

Not a bug, I blasted the one-tile-width dividing wall between the Lab and the Rift. Though the fact that I knew it was there seems buggy, I am rationalizing that a thin wall between you and LAVA may not hide it so well.

I don’t know if the Rift it is the source of the Shoggoths or not, but hey aren’t that hard to take care of now that I’ve beaten the first one.

RIfts are earthen cracks, with magma swelling up and stuff.

Similar things can be found on the surface, if I recall correctly. I remember one incident where it went straight through a dojo. Like, Japanese fighting game-style.

[quote=“Tawarochir, post:4, topic:6604”]RIfts are earthen cracks, with magma swelling up and stuff.

Similar things can be found on the surface, if I recall correctly. I remember one incident where it went straight through a dojo. Like, Japanese fighting game-style.[/quote]

Funny enough, I think that was me. This rift underground is multiple map tiles, and is actually shown on the map, so it’s a little different.

Do you have IR vision? I’ve never had it myself, but according to the CBM description it lets you see warm creatures through walls. Maybe it picks up rifts too?

If it doesn’t, it probably should! :wink:

I can see the rift underground too, just by being in a nearby basement/subway.

Funnily enough, it’s under a church.

Divine intervention.