Killer-Cows

Build 2144, Win 7 64

I opened a shed, stood in front of the cow and was dead. 2x head, 1 x torso, 1x legs and again 2x head. I had no chance to move or to react otherwise.

I hope this is a bug because this cow had more power than a bear.

(I forgot : Dodging Skill was 2.)

How was your enc? Any pain? What was your move speed at the time?

It was a new game, up to that encouter I had no fight. I started at a cabin. The farm field was the closest point of interest, so I went there first. I played a biker (body encumbrance 1), with base speed at about 100 (no modifiers). The farm field wasn’t far away.

Stats : STR 12, DEX 10, IQ 14, SEN 10.

I only had the base equipment of a biker with two cans of clamchowder, so I carried only 2/6. No hunger or thirst.

Just tested with a biker character, all 8 stats, no extra skills.

Fighting a cow with my trench knife was a pretty brutal experience (left my head with 1.5 health bars) but I managed to kill it.

Then it’s really a killer-cow. But in my game I had no chance to react. I stood in front of the cow and the tombstone appeared immediatly.

O.k., in the future I’ll have much more respect if I see a cow.

You should have approached it from the flank and milked it.

Well… Cows are big. Like, really big. Have you seen a steer? The one with horns? That thing is fucking HUGE.

Was there no warning of them being hostile? I don’t mind cows being horrendously deadly, because they kind of are, but. If they’re farm animals accustomed to people, maybe they shouldn’t get mad so easily.

It stood right in front of me, after I opened the shed (IIRC). I can’t remember a warning.

Btw : Are there zows ?

i never saw zow or zig for now

Using the rope and pulley to upon the barn costs 900 move points. That means your character is basically unable to move for at least 8 turns after the door has opened/closed (same with the garage door). Plenty of time for the cow (speed 130) to attack. I usually stand behind the rope and pulley, the attacker must than move around or bash through it.

But that still does not explain the aggressiveness.

[/quote]

Jesus Christ, is that from Freddy Got Fingered?

[quote=“BevapDin, post:12, topic:7442”]Using the rope and pulley to upon the barn costs 900 move points. That means your character is basically unable to move for at least 8 turns after the door has opened/closed (same with the garage door). Plenty of time for the cow (speed 130) to attack. I usually stand behind the rope and pulley, the attacker must than move around or bash through it.

But that still does not explain the aggressiveness.[/quote]

If that is really how the move cost works then that could explain some of my mysterious 1 turn deaths as well. If the enemy in questions is located on the other side of the door, then it does not make sense that it gets free turns while you operate the winch if it can not actually reach you until the door is open. This should be true of other door opening mechanisms as well (like consoles) though I am unsure how much move, if any, they consume to use. Note that I am assuming the cow in question was located in the shed, and if that is not what happened then my next case should cover that.

Additionally, just being attacked while operating a mechanism that takes time like this should probably y/n prompt you to stop doing that thing… why would you continue to operate something like that while under attack? I guess my concern in this case is that the idea of move points just being “consumed” by the action leaving you completely unable to react for several turns with no ability to respond to any form of assault might need to be changed.

Easy to say, something of a pain in the ass to do.

So… No yes/no prompt here, or you’re just not going to implement it?