Jury-Rigged Robots Mod

This is a mod for building your own robot allies.
https://mega.co.nz/#!rQkklSKQ!l_2XXv7YtnK8On668dqHH-MKA5THufUulGoXr-YRvjA

Robots are too technologically complex for a survivor to build from scratch, so instead you have to find and fix up a broken bot. But, even then, you can’t restore it to its original pristine condition; the best you can manage is to jury-rigg a Franken-bot made out of mismatched parts and salvaged wiring. Jury-rigged robots are generally crappier, but also a bit more customized to be useful. So, instead of building an eyebot, you can make an orb-bot, which is an eyebot with its camera replaced with a floodlight and who works as a floating torchbearer. That fits the post-apocalyptic theme, I think, and it’s cool to have a junkyard robot servitor that better matches your Mad Max car and chitin armor.

BALANCE[spoiler]
But the main reason the mod uses new types of robots is for game balance. The pre-existing monsters are made to be good enemies for a player character; they’re not designed as pets. Some are just way too strong to be converted directly to allies. The main offender isn’t the tankbot—like you might expect—it’s the common skitter bot. It turns out that a sidekick with an unlimited tazer is really OP. (A pair of skitterbots can take down a hulk in a few rounds. A group of about five skitterbots can practically clear a city by themselves.) Conversely, things like turrets, which are incredibly deadly to a player, aren’t really that amazing as allies. They can kill five or six zombies, but at the cost of a hundred bullets. And after they run out of ammo, they’re helpless. Plus, a lot of the hard-coded monster abilities don’t work with allies anyway. Like a chicken walker’s flamethrower will only target a player, not hostile monsters.

For those reasons it’s better just to have all new monsters based on the originals. Their stats are tweaked to better serve as companions. For example, their vision radius is set really low so they don’t run off after distant enemies or waste all their ammo shooting at things they’ll never hit.

They are pretty strong, but I figure by the time you can take down a Chickenbot, and you have all the skills to jury-rig your own unholy murder machine, then you’re probably not worried about ants or normal zombies anymore. So, it’s OK for the toughest bots to slaughter vanilla hordes, like in malls or mega stores. I tried to balance the advanced types against specials, like acid spitters and hulks, who should still pose a threat.
[/spoiler]

NEW ROBOTS
I also put in a few new types of military bots that spawn in labs. Basically, they’re like flying turrets. (Turrets that can chase you!) However, they only have enough ammo to shoot one burst, and after that they resort to melee. So they’re super dangerous but unlikely to instakill you except from point-blank fire.

PROBLEMS: ACTIVATION & DISASSEMBLY[spoiler]
Because many robots are so heavy, you can’t pick them up. And if you can’t pick them up, you can’t activate them or disassemble them. And because their leftovers aren’t actually corpses, you can’t butcher them on the ground either. Until there is a way to interact with heavy stuff on the ground, you can’t really disassemble bots, even though I put in the recipes to do so.

And for activating heavy robots, I made them work with an RC control. Which is weird because if you’re standing far away when you hit the button, the robots sort of teleport to you. That’s not great, but whatever. At least you can turn on your robots without breaking your spine.[/spoiler]

RECIPES
There’s two recipes for each bot. Making it the first time from a salvaged bot, and then repairing it when it inevitably dies. The first one requires a lot more components, as a sort of entry fee. The second one requires less stuff, because it would get tedious to hunt down some rare item every time your robo buddy dies.

It works as is, but there might be a few weird problems I missed. And I might need to adjust some things like armor values or threat levels. If you use it, let me know if there any problems.

2 Likes

You could probably integrate the activate command to the control laptop, given that you use that for switching the bots between passive-combat modes it would porbably fit-

Other than that, it looks rather great.

This is really cool!

Awesome, custom utility and murder bots to help deal hordes sound perfect right about now. Though being able to rebuild an eyebot, armor it with military composite plating, equip it with a laser pistol and install a stereo system to play morale boosting music while simultaneously attracting nearby enemies would be my pet project. [size=2pt]I’d name him ED-E.[/size]

Edit: How hard would it be to make it so you could summon and dismiss an Eyebot on demand? I’ve always wanted to bring along a traveling companion but dogs/cats are useless, NPCs are bloody magpies and neither play particularly well with vehicles or changing Z-levels.

But eyebots can fly, thus it’s more believable to just dismiss and then ressummon them where ever you happen to be. They also don’t require sustenance, care little for extremes of temperature or climate, aren’t prone to complaining and should follow their designated owner to the ends of the earth (until their untimely demise), making them the perfect traveling companion.

“Butchering” an object that you can disassemble will attempt to disassemble it. The problem is that it doesn’t display what you lack if you lack anything.

This looks nice. Will try it out.

About activation: What if the jury-rigged robot is a construction?
Then we can interact with it easily.
Turning it on would replace the “furniture” with the activated robot.
(but you’d still have a problem turning it off, as the above method can’t work on a person)

Each construction has to be individually defined. Having a furniture piece for each robot would be quite a bit of work.

You can kind of do it now with a radio mod. The game assumes you’re holding the item when you turn it on, so it will always appear next to you. However, it would still have to be in your reality bubble, and you can’t really dismiss it. Acidia talked about making a ‘storage vault’ for NPCs out on quests. Maybe he could add some summoning stuff too?

Oh. I must not have had a hacksaw in my hand or something when I was experimenting.

[quote=“jcd, post:7, topic:9943”]About activation: What if the jury-rigged robot is a construction?
Then we can interact with it easily.
Turning it on would replace the “furniture” with the activated robot.
(but you’d still have a problem turning it off, as the above method can’t work on a person)[/quote]

That might be cool. But then you couldn’t put a deactivated robot in a vehicle trunk, which would lower their utility for a lot of people. Although it does make sense for the really big robots like tankbots.

Aye it might be a good idea if we could say transform them into a robotics briefcase that we could carry around then deploy them when needed, or maby for the flying ones such as the eyebot/manhack some kind of backpack dock

Hey I recently Downloaded your mod and i have been trying to use it but i dont know how to start any tips or gudies that i can use?

Is there a way to make it so you can deactivate nearby friendly robots, both jury rigged and original hacked through control laptops? Sometimes you don’t want to be followed around by that hornet nest of riot control bots.

Also this breaks tiles for items that normally have them, at least for the Rc Controller. Using Mshock24 modded, and the rc control now is a big # sign instead of its tile.

Sorry if my question wasnt clear enough i just wanted to know how do i start the jury rigging process please if you can tell me how to start the process.

Yay finally a real use for rc control other than opening my garage door( It’s a stretched one tile wide car)

is this compatible with the most recent version?

Updated for PR #14709 on Jan 10, 2016
Removed Invalid Flag -FRIENDLY_SPECIAL, fixed invalid size: small. something, something, upgrades are fun.
jrr_new_bots.json -

[
{
“type” : “MONSTER”,
“id” : “mon_pursuer_bot”,
“name”: “pursuer drone”,
“species”:“ROBOT”,
“default_faction”:“military”,
“symbol”:“P”,
“color”:“white_green”,
“size”:“MEDIUM”,
“material”:“steel”,
“diff”:15,
“aggression”:100,
“morale”:100,
“speed”:100,
“melee_skill”:5,
“melee_dice”:3,
“melee_dice_sides”:6,
“melee_cut”:6,
“dodge”:2,
“armor_bash”:10,
“armor_cut”:12,
“vision_day”:50,
“vision_night”:5,
“special_attacks”:[[“GRENADIER”, 20]],
“starting_ammo” : {“bot_manhack”:10},
“hp”:80,
“death_function”:[“BROKEN”],
“death_drops”: {
“groups”: [
[ “robots”, 4 ]
]
},
“description”: “A wheeled drone designed to pursue and exterminate enemy combatants. It’s capable of dispensing onboard manhacks to harry and weaken its prey.”,
“flags”:[“SEES”, “FLIES”, “ELECTRONIC”, “NO_BREATHE”, “NOHEAD”,“HIT_AND_RUN”]
},{
“id” : “mon_seeker_bot”,
“name”: “seeker drone”,
“symbol”:“s”,
“size”:“SMALL”,
“speed”:130,
“revert_to_itype”: “bot_seeker”,
“special_attacks”:[[“SMG”, 6]],
“starting_ammo” : {“9mm”:8},
[ “robots”, 4 ]
]
},
“hp”:20,
“death_function”:“BROKEN”,
“description”: “An autonomous hoverdrone designed to seek and exterminate enemy combatants. It’s capable of delivering a single burst of 9mm rounds before closing in to finish off its prey.”,
“flags”:[“SEES”, “FLIES”, “ELECTRONIC”, “NO_BREATHE”, “NOHEAD”,“HIT_AND_RUN”]
},{
“id” : “mon_hunter_bot”,
“name”: “hunter drone”,
“symbol”:“h”,
“speed”:110,
“armor_cut”:20,
[ “robots”, 4 ]
]
},
“hp”:60,
“revert_to_itype”: “bot_hunter”,
“special_attacks”:[[“GRAB”, 4]],
“description”:“A dog-sized military drone designed to hunt down and exterminate enemy combatants. With a pair of barbed mandibles, it can prevent its prey from escaping.”,
“flags”:[“SEES”, “HEARS”, “BASHES”, “ATTACKMON”, “ELECTRONIC”, “NO_BREATHE”]
},{
“id” : “mon_chaser_bot”,
“name”: “chaser drone”,
“symbol”:“c”,
“color”:“red_green”,
“diff”:20,
“speed”:130,
“revert_to_itype”: “bot_chaser”,
[ “robots”, 4 ]
]
},
“hp”:30,
“special_attacks”:[[“BMG_TUR”, 3]],
“starting_ammo” : {“50bmg”:3},
“description”:“A relentless hoverdrone designed to chase down and exterminate enemy robots. It’s capable of firing three .50bmg rounds before closing in to finish off its prey.”,
“flags”:[“FLIES”,“SEES”, “HEARS”, “BASHES”, “NO_BREATHE”, “ELECTRONIC”, “HIT_AND_RUN”]
}
]

jrr_monster_override.json -

[
{
“id” : “mon_secubot”,
“edit-mode” : “modify”,
“death_function”:“BROKEN”
},{
“id” : “mon_hazmatbot”,
},{
“id” : “mon_chickenbot”,
}
]

I haven’t looked at this in a while, so it’s probably pretty out of date. I know that acid no longer destroys items, so the cleaner bot will be pretty worthless now. It will need removed or changed. Probably lots of other stuff too.

Can you activate items on the ground through AIM now? If so I might update and PR this, since that was the main thing I didn’t like.

I don’t believe that’s a thing, yet. I’ll have to look into it when I get home.

edit: Activating stuff on the ground isn’t a thing as of yet. And the coding for it is beyond me :frowning:

Updated Versions of jrr_new_bots.json and jrr_rigged_bots.json for PR #15370
[hr]
jrr_new_bots.json:

[
{
    "type" : "MONSTER",
    "id" : "mon_pursuer_bot",
    "name": "pursuer drone",
    "species":"ROBOT",
    "default_faction":"military",
    "symbol":"P",
    "color":"white_green",
    "size":"MEDIUM",
    "material":"steel",
    "diff":15,
    "aggression":100,
    "morale":100,
    "speed":100,
    "melee_skill":5,
    "melee_dice":3,
    "melee_dice_sides":6,
    "melee_cut":6,
    "dodge":2,
    "armor_bash":10,
    "armor_cut":12,
    "vision_day":50,
    "vision_night":5,
    "special_attacks":[["GRENADIER", 20]],
    "starting_ammo" : {"bot_manhack":10},
    "hp":80,
    "death_function":["BROKEN"],
    "death_drops": {
        "groups": [
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "description": "A wheeled drone designed to pursue and exterminate enemy combatants. It's capable of dispensing onboard manhacks to harry and weaken its prey.",
    "flags":["SEES", "FLIES", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE", "NOHEAD","HIT_AND_RUN"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_seeker_bot",
    "name": "seeker drone",
    "symbol":"s",
    "size":"SMALL",
    "speed":130,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_seeker",
    "special_attacks":[
        {
            "type" : "gun",
            "cooldown" : 2,
            "gun_type" : "hk_mp5",
            "ammo_type" : "9mm",
            "max_ammo" : 1000,
            "fake_str" : 16,
            "fake_dex" : 8,
            "fake_per" : 12,
            "fake_skills" : [["gun", 4], ["smg", 8]],
            "move_cost" : 150,
            "targeting_cost" : 100,
            "range" : 18,
            "description" : "The turret fires its smg!",
            "targeting_sound" : "beep-beep-beep!",
            "targeting_volume" : 6,
            "no_ammo_sound" : "a chk!"
        }
    ],
    "starting_ammo" : {"9mm":8},
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":20,
    "death_function":"BROKEN",
    "description": "An autonomous hoverdrone designed to seek and exterminate enemy combatants. It's capable of delivering a single burst of 9mm rounds before closing in to finish off its prey.",
    "flags":["SEES", "FLIES", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE", "NOHEAD","HIT_AND_RUN"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_hunter_bot",
    "name": "hunter drone",
    "symbol":"h",
    "speed":110,
    "armor_cut":20,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":60,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_hunter",
    "special_attacks":[["GRAB", 4]],
    "description":"A dog-sized military drone designed to hunt down and exterminate enemy combatants. With a pair of barbed mandibles, it can prevent its prey from escaping.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "BASHES", "ATTACKMON", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_chaser_bot",
    "name": "chaser drone",
    "symbol":"c",
    "color":"red_green",
    "diff":20,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_chaser",
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":30,
        {
            "cooldown" : 1,
            "gun_type" : "m107a1",
            "ammo_type" : "50bmg",
            "max_ammo" : 500,
            "fake_dex" : 10,
            "fake_skills" : [["gun", 6], ["rifle", 8]],
            "range" : 20,
            "laser_lock" : true,
            "description" : "The antimateriel turret aims and fires!",
            "targeting_sound" : "\"Hostile detected.\"",
            "targeting_volume" : 10,
        }
    ],
    "starting_ammo" : {"50bmg":3},
    "description":"A relentless hoverdrone designed to chase down and exterminate enemy robots. It's capable of firing three .50bmg rounds before closing in to finish off its prey.",
    "flags":["FLIES","SEES", "HEARS", "BASHES", "NO_BREATHE", "ELECTRONIC", "HIT_AND_RUN"]
    }
]

[hr]

jrr_rigged_bots.json:

[
{
    "id" : "mon_distractron",
    "name": "distractron",
    "default_faction":"rigged_bot",
    "symbol":"e",
    "color":"yellow",
    "size":"TINY",
    "diff":1,
    "speed":190,
    "melee_skill":6,
    "melee_dice":1,
    "melee_dice_sides":1,
    "melee_cut":0,
    "dodge":6,
    "armor_bash":1,
    "armor_cut":3,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_manhack",
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "luminance":10,
    "hp":10,
    "special_attacks":[["PARROT", 2]],
    "description":"A manhack hastily rewired into a distraction device. Its main blades have been removed, making it harmless, but also more difficult to hit. Mp3's of pre-Cataclysmic folk music have been added as a further distraction.",
    "flags":["SEES", "FLIES", "NOHEAD", "ELECTRONIC", "HIT_AND_RUN", "NO_BREATHE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_venomhack",
    "name": "venomhack",
    "color":"brown",
    "melee_dice_sides":4,
    "melee_cut":8,
    "armor_bash":0,
    "armor_cut":6,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_venomhack",
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "luminance":3,
    "description":"A salvaged manhack tinkered into a venomous drone. The stingers of giant insects have been added in place of blades.",
    "flags":["SEES", "FLIES", "NOHEAD", "ELECTRONIC", "HIT_AND_RUN", "NO_BREATHE","VENOM"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_smokehack",
    "name": "smokehack",
    "color":"light_gray",
    "melee_dice_sides":3,
    "melee_cut":2,
    "armor_bash":0,
    "armor_cut":6,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_smokehack",
    "death_function":"SMOKEBURST",
    "special_attacks":[["SMOKECLOUD", 3]],
    "description":"A manhack tinkered into a flying smoke generator. It makes a less effective weapon, but provides a good smoke screen. It's currently inactive and ready to be deployed.",
    "flags":["SEES", "GOODHEARING", "FLIES", "NOHEAD", "ELECTRONIC", "HIT_AND_RUN", "NO_BREATHE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_orb_bot",
    "name": "orb bot",
    "symbol":"o",
    "diff":2,
    "aggression":0,
    "morale":0,
    "speed":120,
    "melee_skill":0,
    "melee_dice":0,
    "melee_dice_sides":0,
    "dodge":3,
    "armor_bash":8,
    "armor_cut":8,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_orb_bot",
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "luminance":200,
    "hp":18,
    "description":"A salvaged eyebot patched up with low-grade electronics and equipped with a powerful floodlight. It wobbles unsteadily in the air.",
    "flags":["SEES", "FLIES", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE", "NOHEAD"],
    "fear_triggers":["HURT", "FRIEND_ATTACKED", "PLAYER_CLOSE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_skaterbot",
    "name": "skaterbot",
    "symbol":"a",
    "color":"light_blue",
    "diff":12,
    "dodge":3,
    "armor_cut":10,
    "vision_day":20,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":30,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_skaterbot",
    "special_attacks":[["TAZER", 40]],
	"special_when_hit":["ZAPBACK", 100],
    "description":"A salvaged skitterbot with wheels kludged to the ends of its insectoid legs. It sparks dangerously as it moves across the ground and omits a faint smell of ozone.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "GOODHEARING", "ATTACKMON", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE","HIT_AND_RUN"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_shockbot",
    "name": "shock bot",
    "symbol":"R",
    "color":"light_blue",
    "diff":12,
    "dodge":1,
    "armor_bash":12,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_shockbot",
    "special_attacks":[["SHOCKSTORM", 50]],
	"special_when_hit":["ZAPBACK", 10],
    "description":"A salvaged police bot mended with old circuit boards and car batteries. It's been covered with electrified barbed wire and given a makeshift shock gun. With its safety protocols wiped, the shockbot no longers respects police authority or cares much for the safety of its allies.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "BASHES", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_solar_bot",
    "name": "solar bot",
    "diff":20,
    "dodge":1,
    "armor_bash":14,
    "armor_cut":14,
    "luminance":300,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_solar_bot",
    "special_attacks":[["LASER", 1]],
    "description":"A salvaged riot-control bot awkwardly welded together with an experimental laser turret. A layer of solar cells and blinking LED lights cover it's hull.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "GOODHEARING", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_killbot",
    "name": "killbot",
    "color":"red",
    "diff":25,
    "speed":70,
    "melee_skill":4,
    "melee_cut":8,
    "dodge":0,
    "armor_bash":15,
    "armor_cut":15,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":100,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_killbot",
        {
            "cooldown" : 2,
            "gun_type" : "hk_mp5",
            "ammo_type" : "9mm",
            "max_ammo" : 1000,
            "fake_dex" : 8,
            "fake_skills" : [["gun", 4], ["smg", 8]],
            "range" : 18,
            "description" : "The turret fires its smg!",
            "targeting_sound" : "beep-beep-beep!",
            "targeting_volume" : 6,
        }
    ],
    "starting_ammo" : {"9mm":100},
    "description": "A salvaged security bot repurposed into a lumbering engine of destruction. Extra layers of mismatched armor plates and a pair of chainsaws have been welded to the chasis.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "BASHES", "ATTACKMON", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE", "STUMBLES"]
  },{
    "id" : "mon_murder_bot",
    "name": "unholy murder machine",
    "symbol":"M",
    "color":"red",
    "size":"LARGE",
    "diff":32,
    "melee_skill":3,
    "melee_dice_sides":3,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":90,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_murder_bot",
    "special_attacks":[["RIFLE_TUR", 5], ["SMOKECLOUD", 4], ["SHRIEK", 20]],
    "starting_ammo" : {"556":2000},
    "description":"A salvaged chickenbot, pieced back together into a shambling combat robot that's more terrifying than effective. The flamethrower has been converted into a smoke generator, and the grenade launcher removed to make room for extra belts of 5.56 ammo. For intimidation, rusty spikes and grisly junk adorn the murder machine's hull while loudspeakers play earsplitting shrieks.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "GOODHEARING", "BASHES", "NO_BREATHE", "ELECTRONIC"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_droidnaught",
    "name": "droidnaught",
    "color":"dark_gray",
    "size":"HUGE",
    "diff":30,
    "speed":75,
    "melee_dice_sides":10,
    "armor_bash":21,
    "armor_cut":21,
    "vision_day":10,
            [ "robots", 4 ]
        ]
    },
    "hp":240,
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_droidnaught",
    "special_attacks":[["SMASH", 8]],
    "description": "A gutted tank bot refurbished with vehicle parts and questionable wiring. The cannon has been replaced with a rapid-fire pneumatic hammer.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "GOODHEARING", "NOHEAD", "BASHES", "DESTROYS", "NO_BREATHE", "ELECTRONIC"]
},{
    "id" : "mon_cleaner_bot",
    "name": "cleaner bot",
    "color":"light_green",
    "diff":10,
    "speed":70,
    "vision_day":10,
    "hp":100,
    "special_attacks":[["ACID_BARF", 22]],
    "special_when_hit":["ACIDSPLASH", 100],
    "death_function":["BROKEN"],
    "revert_to_itype": "bot_cleaner_bot",
    "description":"A salvaged HAZMAT robot refitted with second-hand circuits and plumbing supplies. It cleans by spraying caustic fluids from an internal boiler. Although not meant for combat, it can burn enemies effectively.",
    "flags":["SEES", "HEARS", "BASHES", "ELECTRONIC", "NO_BREATHE", "ACIDPROOF", "ACIDTRAIL" , "LEAKSGAS"]
}
]