Juck Made Power Armor

I’ve played fallout 4 and alot of it and that made me think what if cataclysm had the ability to craft raider stile power armor you know use car parts cbm’s and the like

As wearable power armor is pretty much super-science, its treated as uncraftable in the game setting.
If someone wants to pull together a mod that adds some kind of junky or steam punk power armor, we’d be happy to include it.

I think this was discussed at on point. Expensive, difficult to craft gas-powered power armor that had a chance to malfunction and rip your arms out.

I would not wear, nor make, something that has a danger of ripping your arms out. I think the same would go for most survivors. Losing a limb in a hostile environment with no functional medical institutions equals death. Just breaking a limb is dangerous enough, but good grief.

I’ve never even used the in-game power armor due to either its rarity or lack of supplies, so I can’t say I’d be hyped about bootleg power armor that could kill you or explode or something.

It would only rip your arms off if it was damaged, if I remember correctly. So keep your suit in good repair and you’ll be fine.

A gasoline-powered bootleg power armor would be hilarious.

Ultimately, I’m thinking that the sanest option would be something low-key. Something that, at beast, provides some heavy protection and is less encumbering when powered. A survivor pulling a Tony Stark impression doesn’t need climate control, radiation protection, or a built in clock.

They just need to not get eaten/shot/burnt/all-of-the-above when they’re designing armor. In a cave! With a box of scraps!

Well, you might need some climate control. I wouldn’t want a hot engine strapped to my back without some kind of ventilation.

True, but that does increase the complexity considerably. XP

motor + fan + tube

A series of tubes?

[Old Memes Intensify]

[quote=“Random_dragon, post:10, topic:11286”]A series of tubes?

[Old Memes Intensify][/quote]

Yo dawg, I heard you like tubes…

Power armor with out the frame works like really heavy armor right? None or few of the powered benefits? If so then making junk plating to go on a lifting frame like it is in fallout as op suggested would work well, the mechanical part is already fabricated and doesnt actually have any problems like ripping your arms out if you built it wrong. Or is my assumption horribly wrong. I don’t know Ive never actually found power armor yet besides a helmet.

Technically the frame itself doesn’t support the weight. It’s a hauling frame that goes on existing power armor, so it’s more like s storage compartments that won’t snag or get pinched/crushed by the joints.

You might be thinking of something like the powerloader from Aliens, which we don’t have.
A power suit that is much larger, slower, and clumsier like that would be a much more reasonable thing for a survivor to build, more like a walking vehicle than a suit. It would also be pretty bad at combat because of the above properties.

Ripley did ok with one :smiley:

[quote=“Kevin Granade, post:14, topic:11286”]You might be thinking of something like the powerloader from Aliens, which we don’t have.
A power suit that is much larger, slower, and clumsier like that would be a much more reasonable thing for a survivor to build, more like a walking vehicle than a suit. It would also be pretty bad at combat because of the above properties.[/quote]

That does seem like a logical way to go about it, yeah. Still, it should be capable of “unloading” undead by the dozen if a survivor is competent. X3

I wouldn’t mind jury-rigging a car engine to a set of power armor and use that in place of a UPS. Those things don’t exactly grow on trees, but car engines do.

how2tree

Probably not an engine, but having an UPS draw power from a car battery instead of a set of tiny batteries compatible with flashlights would be a good idea.

Why stop at makeshift power armor? I would love to see a mod which adds in everything from basic powered exoskeletons to full-on mecha with weapons systems.

[quote=“Wally-kun, post:17, topic:11286”]I wouldn’t mind jury-rigging a car engine to a set of power armor and use that in place of a UPS. Those things don’t exactly grow on trees, but car engines do.

how2tree
[/quote]

Perhaps this could be an expansion on the hauling frame and could make use of different engine types. I think a minireactor would be an interesting thing to strap to your back to keep the armor moving. And damaging it could lead to radioactive !FUN!.