Is there an alternate way to produce marloss gelatin?

After reading very cryptic marloss discussion on the forums, I’ve been unable to find an answer to this – what is the alternate way to produce gelatin? All I noticed is that there is supposedly some alternate way to obtain it other than killing towers.

Also, a fluff question – is there a particular reason why the Mycus wants to brainwash people into destroying massive amounts of its own towers for jello?

I’m not entirely sure, but your best bet would be to try planting marloss seeds.

As for the second question?

1. Mycus Sap, aka marloss gelatin, is probably just be a (super)naturally occurring substance. Not necessarily meant to attract people to destroy it.
  2. While the loss of one outpost is regrettable, it does take a rather strong existence to attack a tower, much less successfully. The possible gain from the indoctrination of said existence could far outstrip the loss.

Yeah, it seems like a win-win for it.

Either the tower spreads and converts things, or if the tower is destroyed, it still potentially converts the things that can destroy it.

That said, it’s kind of a logical stretch imo.

You don’t need to even touch the jello, get the mutations from the seeds and the berries first, and when you encounter a tower you’ll likely notice it acting a bit… differently.

All I know is that it’s a 50/50 chance for a tower to drop a gelatin when killed, and it’s a 50/50 chance when you eat a gelatin to get Vessel. Get Carrier and Vector first, then go after a tower.

Okay, let me make this clearer: You can cross the threshold without killing a single fungal tower, or even eating a gelatin. You don’t even need to get vessel. You just need to make a decision that at first glance looks extremely ill-advised and have already gotten vector and carrier. This in fact is the original intended method, but KA101 didn’t think he’d get around to implementing it so quickly, so the gelatin method’s actually kind of an intact placeholder, I think.

Is it hugging a fungaloid naked?

Nothing so hilariously dangerous, but it does involve getting close to the tower and not doing what survivors usually do to fungal towers.

Telefrag it?

I wonder if I should be surprised that nobody has really considered “Don’t kill the tower or its associated fungaloids, and see how it reacts to you when it gets close” as a potential solution.

Well i guess i would have tried but i just love killing the mycus. So get close act non hostile then telefrag it. They most of the time drop this gelatine for me when i kill them then i set the whole place on fire … i don t pick up weird alien stuff >.>

I would realy love to see mycuss infected npc i can murder .

Ah. Is it waiting for the hedgerows to inject spores into you? It isn’t draining sap from the tower, because that was one of the first things I tried.

once you get the needed mutations just walk up to the tower and you will be given an option, allow it, and you get the mycus threshold thing (can’t remember what its called exactly, but that’s about it)

OK, well, I already got to Mycus the other way, so I can’t take advantage of that. But other people can, I guess.

[quote=“Blaze, post:2, topic:7608”]I’m not entirely sure, but your best bet would be to try planting marloss seeds.

As for the second question?

1. Mycus Sap, aka marloss gelatin, is probably just be a (super)naturally occurring substance. Not necessarily meant to attract people to destroy it.
  2. While the loss of one outpost is regrettable, it does take a rather strong existence to attack a tower, much less successfully. The possible gain from the indoctrination of said existence could far outstrip the loss.[/quote]

Blaze pretty much nailed the reasoning here. Mycus needs to unite its lines, and if that comes at the cost of a strong defensive point that 1) isn’t actually defending anything in particular, and 2) can’t actually spread the fungus on its own (no spore-generation at Towers: needs to make_fungus on folks!), [glow=white,2,300]so be it[/glow].