I'm confused about the Exodii

I don’t understand why you insist I’m talking about time travel, as I’ve never done so.

I find it impossible that you’d end up with humans. I do not find it impossible that you’d end up with bipedal sort of humanoid creatures that might have sort of mammalian traits, although the latter part is a stretch. I do find it extremely unlikely they’d end up with exactly the same number of chromosomes, amino acid encoding, or set of amino acids used. It’s still unknown whether the fundamentals of the genetic code (the AGCT encoding) is the best one (based on availability of compounds used in its construction, stability, etc.), or just one of several equally good (with some possibly better) alternatives.
Why would you end up with inside out eyes again (with the nerve cells outside of the supposed actual photo receptive cells like mammals, but unlike cephalopods), or an inefficient breathing function (mammalian in-out lungs rather than avian circular breathing, presumably inherited from dinosaurs) etc?

1 Like

Infinite means infinite. It means there are an infinite number of worlds where humans evolved and there could easily be a conceit of the game that the closer the world is in terms of how it developed, the easier it is to jump to it. Ergo earth like worlds with humans are the easiest to jump to from earthlike worlds with humans.

Funny thing is I kind of agree with the OP. IMO the whole thing is unnecessary. Don’t worry, I’m not one of those “You’re ruining the game I’m going home and taking my toys with me!!!”

You’ve seen them.

I’ll just play stable until this is fully fleshed out (or mostly) - I need my CBM’s and most of the ways to get them have been removed for experimental already. Then I’ll give it a chance.

In reality I think the main reason for doing this is to change the timeframe from “Now + 30 years” to “Now + 5 minutes” which is fine but makes me wonder what you’re going to do about mutations 'cause we don’t have those either. Any reasoning you could give to having them would also be reasons for having CBM’s.

I’ll wait and see and, if necessary, I’ll mod. No biggy.

• Shane
3 Likes

Mutations can actually be thought of as a version of zombification. Like zombification, they allow impossible body changes without apparent energy sources and with ever-ongoing permutation to new forms. They come from the same agent as the zombies do, and it was experimentation with mutation that led to the outbreak of the zombie plague. (Kinda. Really it was already outbreaking.)

So mutations don’t need quite the same explanation. They were developed on cdda earth but they’re not earthly.

Yeah the blob are the source of all of the mass mutations in the Cataclysm. They are the mutagen, react to radiation absorbed by the player, are in the serums and slurry’s. Basically almost everything infected with the Blob change radically and will rise again. Of course their some exceptions, such as the fungals and Mycus Players as the mutating effects of the Blob and most likely the Blob internally is purified. The Exodii may have came up with an extreme resistance or “cure” for the Blob too.

They do have an extreme resistance, they replace almost all of their organic matter with metal and plastic.

I will say that the way the Exodii have been implemented does answer my two biggest pet peeves about such things:

1. Why would aliens make cybernetics for human physiology? Except for Command and Control I don’t see why they would. Answer here is they didn’t. They made CBM’s for themselves - they just happen to be human.

2. “Humans are stupid. There’s no way they could invent X.” Common trope amongst “Ancient Alien Theorists” I find this to be quite insulting, being human myself. Our creativity is our survival strategy and one that’s very effective.

Anyway, looking forward to how it’s done.

• Shane
3 Likes

Does make me wonder what technologicies the Exodii have and how much of it. Can we get superior guns from them or would they be willing too pay a premium for revtech guns? Is thier battery technology better than ours or would they be willing too pay a handsomely for experimental batteries and could figure out a way to recharge them? Do they get their energy from solar pannels or do they use nucleur fission, being willing too pay a good amount for plutonium or things containing it. Are they able too fabricate things like powerarmour’s, mech’s or laser guns. What do they use for transport? Normal cars or more advanced or exotic vehicles and vehicle parts, or a robotic analoge to horses?

3 Likes

Seeing the suggestion about the full-body conversion put a smile on my face. All in all I’m welcome to all the changes happening especially since I can have my cake (the wacky CBM’s that were pushed to aftershock) and eat it (still have those CBM’s and not have to have aftershock installed).

I made a brainstorm suggestion based on the exodii and me wanting to have a full-body cybernetic conversion here I even started working on categorizing what mutations can be replaced with cybernetics or even waved off because you have a cyber body and not an organic one.

At least with this I can hope that something like this will be added or worked on in the near future, but with so little to go on I can only do so much without jumping the gun.

1 Like

The infrastructure needed to add full body conversion is nearly in place. However, I am almost guaranteed not going to be the one to add it. Once I get the basic exodii infrastructure and dialogue in I’m going to have to step back I think, I just don’t have the time for projects of this extent lately. Just getting their quest lines to a decent state will be challenge enough.

Thankfully it’s a collaborative project and I’m pretty sure they’ll be more than interesting enough for someone to help.

3 Likes

The most low hanging fruit I can think off would be to simply move things from mods like aftershock and blaze industies too vanilla. Adding stuff like powerfull melee weapons, armour’s and power armours would be easy too. And someone could probably use the existent mech code too add a series of new Exodii mech’s and maybe stuff like robot mounts. Or simply reintroduce cut content with a different discription.

I’m not super keen on a huge power expansion as step one, what I’d like to start with is actually some lower power versions of existing high level cbms, to allow more intermediate steps between “I’m a new character” and “I win the game now”. We can also look at adding in some low power stuff that really doesn’t make logical sense but is fun, along the lines of the current shotgun arm.

My issue isn’t lack of ideas though, it’s that it’s taken my months just to get this NPC written because I get around an hour every two weeks to work on it.

I’ll definitely be looking towards contributing myself, I might as well since I feel this would be a good passion project, as well as something to cut my teeth on.

I’ve been mooching off of everyone’s work for the past 7-ish years so I thought it’d be nice to at least try and do something productive, lol.

2 Likes

Gods that was painful to read, hahahah

Anywho, super excited to see these Exodii.
Playing through the game without seeing many opportunities to read about the lore, I genuinely do not understand the some of the technology timeline (like is it actually in the future or is it pretty much just modern day but with a few sprinkles of future tech) and I really do like when things are added in to help certain inconsistencies (or whatever you wanna call them) make more sense. I actually really like the idea of a friendly faction, and hopefully with some more work on NPCs in general, the Exodii will be super flavorful. Honestly hadn’t come across any NPCs in the few-hundred hours I’ve played until last night, and it genuinely felt so thrilling (even though the first one I encountered died to a horde before I could speak to her)
Makes me excited to contribute to the game myself, maybe after I’ve gotten a few more hundreds of hours :wink:

Sorry, I have a quick question about the exodii. There’s not a lot of info of them around so sorry if this has already been covered.

But what’s the lore on the undead with cybernetics? Like the shockers, zappers, undead cyborgs who’s powers are fueled by such, how did they gain those prior to the cataclysm?

They don’t have them. I removed them a while back. They havne’t been cybernetics-powered in the lore for a long time anyway, long before the exodii. It doesn’t make any more sense to get unlimited lightning from cybernetic implants than it does to get unlimited lightning from the zombification agent that also makes you into an undead perpetual motion machine.

1 Like

Skimming through this thread, Exodii travel through portals to different multiverses. Each world save could be considered a different multiverse, what if we could use one of these Exodii portals to go between world saves.

I’d be happy just being able to go through a portal, idc where it goes.

1 Like

Using world folders to represent other dimensions is something I suggested once actually. The exodii in game canonically have troubles getting a focused target though, they couldn’t send you to another almost identical cataclysm. Most of their energy is focused on finding another world with humans in it at all.

1 Like

And from what I understand they only target universes that have already been affected by the cataclysm, right? After that it’s just finding one with humans, then finding one with a decent level of technological advancement, right?

Is there any case where they stumble into a dimension/universe where the cataclysm hasn’t started? Would they doom that universe? Would they restart if they found a universe with a low level of technological advancement?

It would be pretty impossible for them to stumble into a pre-cataclysm world, they’d have to store up days of power and blow it all. They wouldn’t want to, since they’d just bring the apocalypse to that would and have to live through the much more dangerous collapse part of the the of the world

You would think those would be converted Exodii or survivors that had dealings with them but, guess it is easier to get rid of them.