Ice labs : unique rooms

[quote=“Iosyn, post:39, topic:2816”][quote=“GlyphGryph, post:38, topic:2816”]As for rooms:

I think we should have some large, multi-story rooms, full of and with “ice tunnels” through them. Some of these tunnels should have “thin ice” traps that will drop you to the level below.[/quote]

‘The floor creaks ominously…’

Now that’s just cool cruel.
I love it. :D[/quote]

Then the floor would crack and break apart, but depending on both your speed and dodge skill you have a chance of jumping off the breaking tile.
Also it would be cool if weight was a variant to break thin ice tiles.

…I’d think that the more thin ice you fall through, its not going be cold your worrying about so much having pretty much pulped your legs.

[quote=“detahramet, post:37, topic:2816”]Alternate thread name suggestion:

How I to Love the Snow: The many cold puns of Cataclysm[/quote]
Cryo and Punishment: Ice labs for !!fun!! and profit.

Also, it could not just be limited to thin ice - I imagine the cold temperatures would be likely to warp the metal of even regular hallways, and make your footing not just unstable as the floor shifts, but allow for of it to break away under weight. So thin ice and warped metal traps that send you a level further down.

How about high-ceilinged rooms whose ceilings have a profusion of sharp icicles dangling from them. Any loud noise may cause a section of icicles to detach and plummet to the floor.

You’d first be warned by messages as you crossed the room. “Above you the vaulted ceiling is covered in icicles. As you move, the icicles tremble and chime, seemingly ready to crack and fall at the slightest disturbance.”

A simple way to “defeat” the room would be to lob in a grenade and trigger the whole lot at once, but there are valuables within the room that would be smashed by either the explosion or the falling ice.

Yeah. If there was stuff like liquid nitrogen or helium bursting from a pipe I honestly wouldn’t be surprised if the ground near it would be frozen and brittle enough to fall through.

Man a lot of this stuff is co awesome! I still have some infrastructure work to do, but once that is done, we could really start putting things together.

I have ice mist working right now : it cools the player down, and it affects critters. I want to add icy floors that are slippery, and I think those would be the really generic things. I also have to continue work on temperature calculations for critters; I think that will take the most time.

As for icy floors : chance of dodge decreased, chance to miss increased (for both parties, unless the critter is resistance to cold). Perhaps there could be a chance that the player slips and is moved in a random direction too.

If people want to actually draw out in ASCII some rooms with particle accelerators, or other stuff we talked about, that would be a great time saver. In the source code, special rooms are actually drawn out like below, so you could do the same

"\
|----------------------|\n\
|r....................r|\n\
|r..rr..rr....rr..rr..r|\n\
|......................|\n\
|......................|\n\
|..rrrrrr..........rrr.|\n\
|-----|----DD-|--+|--|-|\n\
|b.ddd|.......gc..|T.|T|\n\
|b..h.+.......g6h.|-+|+|\n\
|l....|.......gc..|....|\n\
|-----|.......|--D|...S|\n\
|b....+...........|...S|\n\
|b...l|...........|-+--|\n\
|-----|................|\n\
|b....+...x............|\n\
|b...l|..|-DD-|+-|+-|+-|\n\
|-----|..|....|.l|.l|.l|\n\
|b....+..|6...|..|..|..|\n\
|b...l|..|....|bb|bb|bb|\n\
|-----|--|-..-|--|--|--|\n",

And a description of what the letters are, like "b" is a bed. You don't need to use the actual icon that the game uses.

[code]"
|–±-|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|pp…p|\n
|…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…pp|\n
|p…|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|–±-|\n",

//p - pipes[/code]

[code]"
|–±-|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|p…p|\n
|–±-|\n",

//p - pipes[/code]

Two corridors, one with broken pipes and the second one with normal, (still?) working piping.

Oh, and I think that pipes would look co fantastic as those co awesome guys: ║═

[size=2pt]I find it funny, that I write “cool” first and then think about how bad it is to use it ITT.[/size]

Regarding falling-floors: yeah, provided that there’s a grapple hook or similar way to climb around the pit. (Guaranteed stable way back up…I don’t think you’d go for that.) Labs becoming a perma-trap because GlyphGryph isn’t much fun.

Still thinking the Icewand from American McGee Alice would make a decent ending-artifact. Sprays the mist when fired, activate to freeze a square/floor/critter in X range, recharges via fatigue, character temperature can’t rise above “Warm” whilst equipped, anything else?

I was assuming you would fall to a level lower in the labs - you can just take the stairs back up. Not that you fall into a bottomless pit.

As a finale, perhaps a freezer? A small room filled with frozen monsters of call kinds, and a good amount of very valuable items also frozen that can be thawed by a middle machine. The frozen monsters cannot be broken by most normal means past explosives and fire which will either destroy the thing inside or thaw the thing out. Placing a fire has the side effect of thawing out whatever is lets say in 2 tiles of the fire, which due to the close proximity of the room could thaw out some baddies. Maybe a few frozen viruses in a cabinet.

With salmon steaks and a meat pizza. Maybe a tray of ice.

True…until the stairs come up on the Wrong Side of the thin-floor room. Not sure if there’s a weight-check or a random chance for falling through floors.

I like the freezer idea.

The freezer could be attached to a vehicle and powered by storage battery, working like a trunk that prevent food and drinks inside it from rotting by lowering their temperature (icon could be a blue-ish H or something). Add (frozen) to the items when their temperature get below freezing point; then taking them out or raising temperature somehow would make them thawn, resuming rotting process. IRL refreezing stuff don’t work very well though, so once an item thawn once adding (frozen) doesn’t stop the rotting process, so it would end up something like ‘cooked meat (rotten) (frozen)’

Well, if we implement pits, we might as well add the jumping feature. It’d be kind of weird if you were unable to, especially as we add tall buildings and such.

HAVE LEARNED THIS THE HARD WAY. ICE IS REALLY REALLY SHARP AND CUTTY.

I guess I shouldn’t be saying this aloud, but if jumping gets in I kinda like LazyCat’s implementation. Basically, you hit a key for jumping, the select where you want to jump. The game indicate two spots with ‘x’. One is the spot where you land, the other is the place you need to run to to gather momentum. Maybe add a str/dex check to land on the exact tile you selected.

It’s an interesting way to go about implementing jumping. Especially since we don’t really have an on screen display of where the player is looking.

Yeah yeah I know I’m supposed to be getting on it. >_< I was verbally berating myself for not getting it done even as I mentioned the pits.

My implementation will be similar but not exactly the same.

As a trap though, I think there’s already code that lets you avoid it if it’s been set off, or let’s you change the result. So it could display “You carefully move around the edges of the hole” as a stop-gap measure.

Of course that takes away the fun of jumping over the hole and landing on another hole. :wink:

I think Lazycat’s implementation was what I was thinking, but it’s definitely unpolished and the first time around I had no idea what was going on.

If it was a little more clear where you were going and what happened (the turn doesn’t go instantly) it would be better, IMO.