Portal Lab,

A lab that would have signifigantly more dead scientist bodys and such with the addition of lots of nether creatans roaming around the place.

Also perhaphs a portal control room wherin there is a large teleporterish/diminsional transponder thingy structure to bring in nether creatures… FOR SCIENCE…

You’re kidding right?

We already have this.

At least the second part specifically.

I don’t know how you might fit nether creatures roaming labs into lore, but it sounds like fun though haha.

Ah right, we do have this.

Maybe someone opened a gate accidentaly with the transponder, the creatures invaded the lab through the gate, killed the scientists and are now remodelling the new place to be more fit to them?

Now all that we have to do is to make it less similar to Doom xD

Reading the thread title, I expected a series of puzzles with cake in the end. XD

Do ee actually have cake yet in the build?

Well i do think it would be more appropriate to call it an infested lab, which some players would dread when they open a door to 500 shoggoths

Agree… so we could have Triffid-infested labs, Fungi-infested labs, ant-infested labs and so on. But only having certain kinds of monsters in a lab would be too redundant, so the question is how the monsters would interact with the lab itself.

Hiding suggestions so people who haven’t entered in a lab can be spoiler-free:

[spoiler]* If humans can get mutations in a lab… non-zombie monsters could get mutations as well?

• Telepads could create accidental surprise-monster-attacks?
  • Fights between the security robots in the lab and the monsters?
  • Changes in temperature to suit the needs of the infestation?
  • NPCs who got stuck in the lab and managed to survive so far, and need help?
  • Computers with specific informating regarding the infestation, because initially the monsters were being captured and studied?
  • Items resulted of research in the lab about the captured monsters?[/spoiler]

It’s definitely on my list of “things I want in the game” to be able to designate and modify labs based on different ideas (so you could have an ice lab, lava lab, jungle lab, nether-based lab, etc.) and have that modify the design and contents of the lab as a whole.

Nice! :smiley: Hoping one day it gets in the game, specially because that could be expanded(hopefully, one day) to other buildings. I had one experience with it, thanks to RNG, a long time ago, trying to get out of a city and finding out that the east was being invaded by Triffids and the west was becoming a fungal colony. FUN!!!

Thread that i found about Ice Labs, for reference and creative base for other lab-only kinds of environment → http://smf.cataclysmdda.com/index.php?topic=2961.0

Maybe someone opened a gate accidentaly with the transponder, the creatures invaded the lab through the gate, killed the scientists and are now remodelling the new place to be more fit to them?

Now all that we have to do is to make it less similar to Doom xD[/quote]
And then we send some physics tech in with a crowbar. Oh wait, damn, nevermind.

A few suggestions for different infested labs:

• Aqua Lab - the portal brought liquid. LOTS of liquid, submerging whole floors and making them home of a variety of unique submarine nether creatures. But the main problem aren’t the creatures, but what exactly is the “water” where they swim…

Hard to do without some common water content made, so far i’ve seen only a couple of fish and fishing, but i guess the main problems here would be what to take to underwater scavenging(i always had bad experiences with water and all mine stuff being washed away), breathing and to make the overwater interesting, the mental effects brought by the “water”.

• Connected Lab - A stable wormhole is a humanity’s dream. To be able to explore space, reach far away stars, and who knows, even time travel? Well, in this case, they made. A stable wormhole to a fixed point in space. The bad luck? Zombies, of course.

Fighting against zombies in open space is one thing. Fighting against them in closed environments is a beast of it’s own, and that’s the main problem here: the wormhole is connected to a point in New England swarming with undead and they blasted through the lab… close it or expect lots of hordes in the future.

• The Mad Scientist Lab - [i]HAAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Finally! No more society to say my experiments are unethical! No more worrying about funds - MONEY DOESN’T EXIST ANYMORE! And a new field, ready for the brave, the daring, the ones that seek the enlightening of SCIENCE!!!

Now, let’s see… first, i will need more ‘guinea pigs’.[/i]

A mad man with resources to survive the apocalypse, henchmen to do his bidding and of course, the lab itself, his fortress/deathtrap/lab for experimentation. In the future, it could be a faction of it’s own, engaging in kidnapping and hunting nether creatures for experiments, but for now, let’s simplify: something BAD happened, people died and the fortress is there for the taking.

Expect here the closest thing to a dungeon: lots of all kinds of monsters(captured for experiments, are free now), traps(why not?), technological defense systems, equipment, unique research books and who knows, even an open portal at the end? :smiley:

Would be nice if it had very high level or rare electronics, crafting ingredients that make for god-like gear but require the books contained within and a very high level to learn (or even a special CBM, a paradox/logic suppressor)

Could have weird gear like an energy-based bow, double-sided lightsaber (danger to self at too low level), mutagens, etc.

An energy bow? You mean a laser rifle?

But in all seriousness, why would the scientists be developing a modern version of an archaic technology, instead of focusing on making upgraded versions of modern technology?

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:13, topic:7569”]An energy bow? You mean a laser rifle?

But in all seriousness, why would the scientists be developing a modern version of an archaic technology, instead of focusing on making upgraded versions of modern technology?[/quote]

Because they’re NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS.

Nah but seriously, I’d imagine the more fantastic styled weapons like that would be at best a personal project of the scientist, and not a government funded thing. Maybe have items like that and unofficial projects occasionally found in a scientist bunk room, or perhaps confiscated in guard armouries. You know, if they ever were put in.

A flooded lab with some aquatic nether creatures. Oh man I want to put on some scuba gear and go hunt some nether creatures with a spear-gun just for the awesome mental images I am getting right now.

[quote=“Datanazush, post:14, topic:7569”][quote=“TheFlame52, post:13, topic:7569”]An energy bow? You mean a laser rifle?

But in all seriousness, why would the scientists be developing a modern version of an archaic technology, instead of focusing on making upgraded versions of modern technology?[/quote]

Because they’re NERRRRRRRRRRRRRRDS.

Nah but seriously, I’d imagine the more fantastic styled weapons like that would be at best a personal project of the scientist, and not a government funded thing. Maybe have items like that and unofficial projects occasionally found in a scientist bunk room, or perhaps confiscated in guard armouries. You know, if they ever were put in.[/quote]

It would make sense, maybe news about that guy who

made a project about small nuclear weapons and a great defense of why to make it

that in the end got rejected, and then the other scientists with weird projects realized that it was easier to just make them in secret when possible. So, maybe the finished thing itself would be too much, but a document explaining how-to-do-it, it would be feasible.

…but if we will have such things, PLEASE, some of the guys who made then surely managed to survive the problems in the lab, and would be able to a) leave the lab; b) survive there(eating nether creatures, using technology to create water, keeping up his research - i mean, WHAT WILL STOP HIM NOW - forgetting a monster, of course :p).

So, we could have a very rare NPC in a deep lab with a prototype light saber, a jedi cloak and delirious of all that bad meat, thinking he has the Force! :smiley:

So like, the Doug Rattmanns of the world. Only with weapons instead of paint and a cube. I like it, and it would make sense to see more than one type of survivor in the roster of npc’s out there. Some of them come across as having professions, but mostly in that a lot of the evac shelter ones have labcoats and meds. And that one guy out in a damn field for no reason, with unexplained kung fu.

Would be a nice way to add more flavour perhaps, even if they don’t have weird prototype weapons rendering them more worthwhile to kill than do things for. I’m more for the very-difficult-blueprints idea than rare-item-find.

Yeah, that guy with unexplained kung fu…

I guess we will see more NPCs as their code gets better. For now, i’m having much trouble with crazy civilians using “simple” flamethrowers. -__-

And yes, agree with more difficult blueprints, less rare items.

…so, why not, crazy AI inside some Labs? Randomly(or not) open and closing doors, taunting once in a while, or just having crazy behaviour? As a hacked terminal who starts talking with you, or the AI who decides it has a mission for you, or your life inside the lab will be VERY difficult?

[quote=“TheFlame52, post:13, topic:7569”]An energy bow? You mean a laser rifle?

The tool would generate energy from the user drawing the bow instead of a battery pack. Would also take archery skill instead of hurdurr MOAR GUNS. In a blueprint it could be made from a plasma rifle, but requires power converters and things.

I still think a crank-powered laser rifle would be more likely. And as for why there are so many guns, can you see anyone these days fighting a war with swords and bows?