Ice labs : unique rooms

Because they were inocculated with it by the lab scientists of course.

And as for this being dangerous, this is seriously the least menacing thing around, don’t eat random stuff you found in a weird science lab.

In fact my main problem with it is implementing a threat that no rational person would encounter, but as that’s just an issue of resource allocation, it’s not a valid argument against someone else implementing it.

Ir seems that everyone is busy adding dangers, but what about the rewards? I propose:

The Scientific Enviro-Suit: A full body suit made of an intelligent, high-tech material resembling spandex. It provides excellent protection from the elements and from physical harm, without encumbering you at all. Power it with an Advanced UPS to engage a self repair mode.

That would make some pretty sweet final room loot (Perhaps you should even need it to access the portal).

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:22, topic:2816”]Ir seems that everyone is busy adding dangers, but what about the rewards? I propose:

The Scientific Enviro-Suit: A full body suit made of an intelligent, high-tech material resembling spandex. It provides excellent protection from the elements and from physical harm, without encumbering you at all. Power it with an Advanced UPS to engage a self repair mode.

That would make some pretty sweet final room loot (Perhaps you should even need it to access the portal).[/quote]
I’m seeing the suit that Spock wore in Star Trek (the newest one) where he’s in the volcano.

Because they were inocculated with it by the lab scientists of course.

And as for this being dangerous, this is seriously the least menacing thing around, don’t eat random stuff you found in a weird science lab.

In fact my main problem with it is implementing a threat that no rational person would encounter, but as that’s just an issue of resource allocation, it’s not a valid argument against someone else implementing it.[/quote]

OK, my concern was getting infected on-hit. Not sure whether potato chips or bottled water would count as infected.

[quote=“John Candlebury, post:22, topic:2816”]Ir seems that everyone is busy adding dangers, but what about the rewards? I propose:

That would make some pretty sweet final room loot (Perhaps you should even need it to access the portal).[/quote]

I have a list of cold-related loot, CBMs and mutations that I plan to reward the player with. At the moment, I have a working freeze grenade!! It slows down monsters and makes you cold if you step in it’s ice mist!

How about robots that spray you down with LOX? They assume you should be in cryogenic stasis and are really confused by all the moving around you’re doing.

I know the perfect candidate.

What about some ice related machines? Also more to do with electronics would be nice, like crafting generators out of engines and using copper wire for power cords and power outlets, some more permanent lightning would be cool.

A freezing machine, 3x3 room of unbreakable glass with two opposite doors on the sides, a computers in front of it and some dispenser, hack the computer to freeze whatever is inside the room, the dispenser fills whatever you put there with liquid nitrogen.

A particle accelerator, 3x3 worldmap tiles underground, explode it (with c4 or grenades) and it spills liquid nitrogen and randomly generates sparks if the machine is on; every now and then in the corridor, a nitrogen valve (wrench and it spills), electric panels (smash enough of them and the machine turns off for lack of power), a small eletric trycicle to carry stuff and move around, a control panel (can be hacked to turn off the liquid nitrogen, superheat the accelerator if it’s on) that can smashed for a ton of electronic components; it have at least one control rooms on opposite ends one level above, they can turn the machine on and off and sound an alarm if it’s overheating. If it overheats, it starts a countdown (two hours maybe) before it explodes leaving a radioactive crater (like the nuclear missile); maybe also generator rooms, with a source of gas or a huge stock of batteries, and some power outlets, hack console to turn it on, use copper and duct tape to fix the faulty cables around, close circuits and power the lights. We could have an item, power cord, attach like a trap more than one lined up starting at a power outlet powered and the last one becomes a power outlet, get some lamps for said outlets to work like car headlights. (bit offtopic, but talking about car headlights, it would be cool to intall ‘headlights’ in cars facing other directions too).

Vending machines, put a bundle of cash, hack it or smash it to open, lots of food and drinks inside, while locked thing in packages don’t perish inside it, once open deconstruct for electronic components and a rubber hose.

Ice machine, cash or hack it gives dozens of ice cubes, smash if for components and a rubber hose. Hack it to open and get a bettery slot, similar to UPS, unload to retrieve batteries or recharge, put it back, close it and run the machine again.

Emmergency lights, uses the same battery slot as the ice machine, turns on once the room gets dark.

Maybe a machine to make Vaccine shots? Put medical USB on it, get some stuff to mix (using first aid and cooking skills) with a bunch of vitamins, dayquil and nyquil to make various types of vaccine depending on the software.

Maybe a DNA analysis machine too, use syringes/vacutainer to take samples from undead, unload syringe on vial, put vial on machine, put USB on machine, hack and active it, USB gets DNA analysis of (something), take DNA analysis to machine to make Vaccine shots, get stuff to mix and make a special vaccine that upon injected on the body of a zombie have a small chance to turn it back into a survivor.

More off topics:

Ways to restrain without killing: apply rope at a body to tie it, a padlock that allows chains to be used to restrain too, leather belt that can be used to restrain, bed/chair with electronic locks controlled by nearby console, plastic or metallic handcuffs…

Ways to interact with non-hostile woodland animals, like grabbing and carrying the rabbits/cats/dogs - perhaps just don’t allow them to be put inside a bag while alive, and give a random chance for them to get rid of your grip, and reaction level determines whether they struggle (feed them first and they maybe let you grab them, hit them once them try to grab them and they attack or struggle). Perhaps a screen for the pets, similar to the vehicle one, to check their status and equip stuff on them (like strap a bomb to a rabbit, or a fannypack to a cat, or have your dog carry your backpack), maybe even train your dog to do stuff for you (maybe add a new taming skill). Also, horses. And sabertooth. And penguins. And bear cavalry.

When we’ll be able to sex NPCs? We need babies and death by old age to really get this rolling. We also need that command to have them guard a place too. In short, factions.

Damn, I’m going way too off-topic already.

Things like sex, babies, and old age (or at least the last two) only really have a place when two things happen:

1. It is still interesting after a single in game year to settle down somewhere. This ultimately means creating a township, which further means NPCs not being hilariously screwy.
    and
  2. it being worthwhile to raise babies.

Though sex definitely has its place, the world basically going to shit, and thus there isn’t much better to do. While whales was developing this, he had actually thought about including sexuality and sex into the game.

We need babies and death by old age to really get this rolling.

My first thought was “And death by babies”, and this is why I cannot have nice things.

I agree with detahramet’s sentiments though. They rely on a lot, and they ought to add reasonably to gameplay imo.

Nah, death by babies is pretty tame in the grand scheme of things.
I was thinking of turning the ice lab into a BDSM dungeon for all my captured NPC breeders for my tentacled monstrosity. :confused:

Also, please make sure to include some kind of slaughterhouse or refrigerated warehouse. A large room with some parts of slippy floor, maybe plenty of bloodstains… Huge slabs of half-cow hanging from hooks in the ceiling… hooks that can be used as weapons themselves, or mountable on vehicles… <3

Frankly I think the ice lab is a great idea, it could use a lot of extra cool rooms though.
Get it? Cool rooms? heh heh heh.
Nah but seriously, lots of cool content.
…Oh God I can’t stop.

[quote=“Iosyn, post:31, topic:2816”]Frankly I think the ice lab is a great idea, it could use a lot of extra cool rooms though.
…Oh God I can’t stop.[/quote]

Iosyn…
As awesome as you are, please shut the fuck up.

Mr. Freeze doesn’t need to migrate to Cata.

[quote=“detahramet, post:32, topic:2816”][quote=“Iosyn, post:31, topic:2816”]Frankly I think the ice lab is a great idea, it could use a lot of extra cool rooms though.
…Oh God I can’t stop.[/quote]

Iosyn…
As awesome as you are, please shut the fuck up.

Mr. Freeze doesn’t need to migrate to Cata.[/quote]

I think we would let people down if we don’t put puns everywhere in this lab. “You pick up a freeze gun. Cool.” “Chill our here for the night?” etc.

Fine, fine. Ill cool down. There’s no need for me to be frigid. It is rude to give people the cold shoulder after all. It can make relationships very icy. I’m walking on thin ice anyways.

If you don’t stop, I’m gonna sleigh you.
[hr]
I think, there should be a lot of piping in these labs, because some coolant had to be transported safely into the lab, and some of it should be damaged because apocalypse. Imagine entering into a room, and there is a lot of ice-cold steam going out of pipes that will freeze you (or at least damage you) when you step in it.

That mist could go out of these broken pipes.

Doh god, I’ve infected us all.
I feel so… so cold inside.

Also cryo grenades, cryostasis tanks and broken pipes with ice mist sound absolutely perfect. I’m going to suggest stuff like liquid helium, nitrogen and oxygen tanks, supercooled electronics and capacitors etc… Additionally, how about something like a particle accelerator. PACs need to be cooled during operation after all.

[code]Particle accelerator. console on the right. Could probably compress it into a 3x2, or a 2x2,
for use in the deep lab levels as inactive stuff or in the finale as some sort of portal open/closer.
I’d suggest maybe an electronics book, wrench and/or screwdriver spawn nearby to indicate it needs to be repaired.
Possible suggestions for finale are repairing it to shut down the ice portal, requiring either a very high electronics or mechanics skill and a high computer skill.

<H6 [/code]

[code]Supercool Liquid Nitro/Helium/Oxy Tank.
Maybe have them in groups lined up in rooms, say a group of 4 in a square room
or 6/8 in a longer rectangular room.
nn
ny

Alt.
8Y

Piping could be added with ===.[/code]

Anyway, feel free to mess around with the designs and stuff, see what looks best.

Alternate thread name suggestion:

How I to Love the Snow: The many cold puns of Cataclysm

As for rooms:

I think we should have some large, multi-story rooms, full of and with “ice tunnels” through them. Some of these tunnels should have “thin ice” traps that will drop you to the level below.

[quote=“GlyphGryph, post:38, topic:2816”]As for rooms:

I think we should have some large, multi-story rooms, full of and with “ice tunnels” through them. Some of these tunnels should have “thin ice” traps that will drop you to the level below.[/quote]

‘The floor creaks ominously…’

Now that’s just cool cruel.
I love it. :smiley:

And you could potentially land on /another/ thin ice trap, falling several levels. And remember that the deeper you go, the colder it gets!