I had spawned in rather limited area. Two roads were blocked by cities too big to handle, one road had turret blockade and the last road hat triffids.
With no way out I had to do with what I found in this small corner of the world. Wrench and hacksaw were not found.
After spending long time scavenging I gave up on finding them and instead started working on making them.
Finally I made them. I took some wide wheels off of a broken bus and headed to a military vehicle that was in good condition apart from its wheels.
The repair option to replace XX wheels with brand new || wheels requires mechanics 4?! Literally unscrew some bolts and put them back in.
Frustated by this experience I will now do a wheel rework.
- Installing/removing a wheel will require very low mechanics skill. Mechanics 1 for all car wheels sounds fine. Bike wheels could be done with mechanics 0 and bolt turning 1 (pliers). Wheel change is easy job.
- You can’t install wheels directly on the hull! Wheels can be installed only on tiles that have “wheel mount” (name suggestions?) part.
- Wheel mount parts come in three sizes: Light (bike/motorcycle), medium (car) and heavy (heavy cars/trucks). Each wheel mount will only accept wheels of correct size.
- Installing wheel mount part is much harder than installing the wheel. Install requirements (open for suggestions)
- Light: Mechanics 2, 30 charges of welding.
- Medium: Mechanics 4, 100 charges of welding.
- Heavy: Mechanics 4, 150 charges of welding.
- Light wheel mount could be crafted with mechanics 3 with welder and some metal scraps.
- I have no idea what one would need to craft the medium/heavy wheel mount parts. I would just leave them as salvageable from cars only part but I know many others want everything to be craftable.
- Not sure what to do with drum rollers/train wheels. Maybe they should have their own unique mounts.
- Casters and other very small wheels would not need wheel mounts.
- Currently wheels are repairable with welder. This doesn’t make much sense. With the change to make them much easier to replace the wheel could be made unrepairable and you would need to scavenge new wheels.
Currently I don’t think I will touch how steerable parts are done. So on the same wheel mount you can install either normal or steerable wheel. But I would prefer that the wheel mount was made steerable and the wheel was just normal. But that would require more c++ stuff.
Now is the perfect time to give good suggestions before I waste time doing things without much thinking and then spending time reworking them.