I have the record (probably) for fastest death

Creates a character based on me (unsurprisingly, horrifically unsuited to post-apocalyptic life). Spawns in a house. Initially see lots of paper walls on the doors, and think “Cool. This must be some form of new barricade”. Spot a giant wasp, but doesn’t trigger safe mode, so I assume it is docile like a giant ant. Pick up frying pans, food, and scissors for living in the bush. While I am doing that, get stung rapidly by the giant wasp.

I am pretty sure that I died just after one minute of spawning… is there any way to tell? I died on turn 13 (Zombie was in line of sight when I spawned) … so that 6 seconds a turn, that makes my death 8:01:18 at the earliest.

[EDIT] Whats up with Imageshack? They changed how their links work! :frowning: You have to download the image, you can’t view it in browser … any recommendations for a better free image hosting provider? [/Edit]

[URL=http://imageshack.com/f/iqbjVTtgj][/URL]

Side note: The record for Nethack is zero moves. A kobold or something spawned with a wand of death right by the entrance.

I once blew up after a 3 moves.

(probably had to do with an out of reality bubble active explosive or with an empty vehicle in collision route with the shelter)

i died in 2 turns…some way i spawn on lava and died

bug related records:
New characters spawned ON FIRE for a number of builds about a year and a half ago, I think they generally survived 3 turns or so.
I spawned with a static NPC, while walking past the NPC on the way out of the shelter, NPCs head exploded, skull shrapnel one-shotted my character. (4 turns)

respawn related records:
Spawned inside a shelter a previous character had lit on fire. (this actually happens to me a lot)
Walked outside the starting shelter and was immediately run over a truck a previous character was driving when they died. (about 12 turns)

monster spawn related records.
spawned in range of a floating eye, once outside and once inside(what’s this tunnel network leading away from the shelter basement?) (20-50 turns)

Way back when, I decided to chat to a static npc and get an item.

You get: mininuke (active)

me: breaks into laughter

moves few steps

blows up everything

me: laughing hysterically and flipping off the (now very, very dead) npc

Couldn’t have been over 5 turns.

That’s one move. He had to do something, and then the kobold would have zapped him.

But you are right … one person died on turn zero. Started the game at precisely the right time so that the RNG would start with a very specific set of circumstances. The tile his character started on was an chaotic-aligned artifact. He was a lawful character. Autopickup is always on and needs to be turned off manually in-game. So he starts the game, the world is generated, his character starts on a chaotic-aligned artifact, picks it up, is smited due to alignment differences, and dies. Doesn’t even get the opportunity to press ‘.’ :wink:

respawn related records: Spawned inside a shelter a previous character had lit on fire. (this actually happens to me a lot) Walked outside the starting shelter and was immediately run over a truck a previous character was driving when they died. (about 12 turns)

Im sorry but i cant stop laughing of imagining that XD

That’s one move. He had to do something, and then the kobold would have zapped him.

But you are right … one person died on turn zero. Started the game at precisely the right time so that the RNG would start with a very specific set of circumstances. The tile his character started on was an chaotic-aligned artifact. He was a lawful character. Autopickup is always on and needs to be turned off manually in-game. So he starts the game, the world is generated, his character starts on a chaotic-aligned artifact, picks it up, is smited due to alignment differences, and dies. Doesn’t even get the opportunity to press ‘.’ ;)[/quote]
I’ve died more than 100 times on turn 1 of Nethack.
See, you can start with a cat familiar if you’re a wizard, and on the first turn it gets to move twice. If it decided to move onto your square (only on turn 1) it would attack, an angry cat attacking an unarmored level 1 wizard has approximately a 95% fatality rate, which led to me rerolling wizards about half the time due to RNG cat hating me.

My fastest death in CDDA was me respawning into a room I’d filled with landmines, I took a single step and exploded. This is why I always give my characters high Perception.
I’m still baffled as to why I put landmines all over that shelter, I guess I was training traps or something and just forgot about them.

Should we all agree that turn 0 suicides don’t count for this? Ive done that before… first time I played the game, I had to leave and went to quit the game. shift+q. I was in a hurry so just tapped Y twice. A more “legit” death was mi-go in the window.

also

that is hilarious.

do exploding land mines set off other land mines?

Ive had NPCs bug out and destroy the entire world turn 1 on a few older versions, dont know if that counts as dying so much as being sucked into the ether though.

well i died in 2 minutes at 0.A long time ago after i set evac shelter on fire with my prewious character

[spoiler]Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead version 0.A memorial file

In memory of: Owen Butler
"FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU"

He was a male Sanniker Infantry when the apocalypse began.
He died on Winter of year 1, day 1, at 08:02.
He was killed in a field on the outskirts of Mount Chase.

Cash on hand: $0

Final HP:
Head: 0/90
Torso: 3/90
L Arm: 3/90
R Arm: 3/90
L Leg: 3/90
R Leg: 3/90

Final Stats:
Str 0 Dex 0 Int 1 Per 0
Base Stats:
Str 10 Dex 8 Int 8 Per 8

Final Messages:
08:01 Your body strains under the weight!
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem! x2
08:00 Your nanotechnological body armor (fits) is nicked!
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem!
08:00 You see here a splintered wood, 9 nails, and 2 rebars.
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem! x3
08:00 You see here 2 rebars, a rock, and 9 nails.
08:00 Nieznana komenda: 'Y’
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem! x6
08:00 Your molecular storage unit (fits) is sliced!
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem! x2
08:00 You see here 3 rebars, 6 nails, and 2 splintered woods.
08:00 Poruszanie się przez pile of rubble jest wolne!
08:00 Zająłeś się ogniem!
08:00 You inhale a lungful of thick smoke.
08:00 You’re on fire!

Kills:
No monsters were killed.

Skills:
bartering: 0 (0%)
computers: 0 (0%)
construction: 0 (0%)
cooking: 0 (0%)
driving: 0 (0%)
electronics: 0 (0%)
fabrication: 0 (0%)
first aid: 0 (0%)
mechanics: 0 (0%)
speaking: 0 (0%)
survival: 0 (0%)
swimming: 0 (0%)
tailoring: 0 (0%)
trapping: 0 (0%)
archery: 0 (0%)
bashing weapons: 0 (0%)
cutting weapons: 0 (0%)
dodging: 0 (0%)
marksmanship: 4 (0%)
launchers: 0 (0%)
melee: 2 (0%)
piercing weapons: 0 (0%)
throwing: 0 (0%)
unarmed combat: 0 (0%)
handguns: 3 (0%)
rifles: 0 (0%)
shotguns: 0 (0%)
submachine guns: 0 (0%)

Traits:
Addictive Personality
Disease Resistant
Lightweight
Packmule
Schizophrenic
Strong Back
Truth Teller
Wool Allergy

Ongoing Effects:
Piekielnie ci ciepło w głowę!!
Piekielnie ci ciepło w twarz!!
Piekielnie gorąco ci w ręce!!
Piekielnie gorąco ci w dłonie!!
Piekielnie gorąco ci w nogi!!
Piekielnie gorąco ci w stopy!!
Pain (178)
Bionics:
No bionics were installed.
Power: 0/0

Weapon:
- none

Equipment:
b - slightly dented nanotechnological body armor (fits)
c - nanotechnological guantlet (fits)
d - nanotechnological helmet (fits)
e - nanotechnological leg armor (fits)
f - nanotechnological combat boots (fits)
h - slightly damaged molecular storage unit (fits)

Ekwipunek:
j - SRSI Plasmite Blaster
i - SRP-4a
g - SRPC ammo canister (500)

Lifetime Stats
Distance Walked: 11 Squares
Damage Taken: 521 Damage
Damage Healed: 0 Damage
Headshots: 0

Game History
| Year 1, Winter 1, 08:00 | evac shelter | Owen Butler began their journey into the Cataclysm.
| Year 1, Winter 1, 08:00 | evac shelter | Caught on fire.
| Year 1, Winter 1, 08:02 | field | Owen Butler was killed.
[/spoiler]

My fastest death was walking out of a house just to be blown up by a landmine.

My fastest death was when the evac shelter spawned directly next to a giant bee hive. They flooded through the windows and didn’t even give me a chance to hide in the basement. Probably somewhere in the range of 10-15 turns

i had an npc get pissed and c4 me in the 4th turn once.
just like “WHERE DID YOU COME FROM, YOU JUST SHOWED UP HERE. IMMA BLOW YOU UP!”

Ah, the Disco Bear. Just outside the shelter the furry cuddler cut my survivor to a bleeding wound, so he struck him once before fleeing to the field. The beast shredded the poor soul in mere seconds.

Speaking of deaths by trucks: never respawn in the world where you tested how fast your car can go.

One turn and you’re probably mauled to death by something moving at approximately 5 Mach. Or not. That’s a damn fucking russian roulette.

try starting a cannibal character with static spawns on and punching the npc in the shelter you start in. only for him to pull a rising sun out of his ass and teach you the name of the king