How to get mutation dreams

I’m trying to get some post-threshold mutations in ursine category. So every time I try injecting ursine mutagen, my character eventually gets all ursine mutations and starts getting other mutations instead. I tried to hibernate after I got all ursine mutations. No dreams. I even saved a backup and tried it all over like 10 times. No dreams.

Later I had five or so ursine mutations and three feline ones. Hibernating. Getting third-stage feline dreams.
What the hell game? I wanna be a bear!

There used to be a threshold bug iirc. Not sure if it was the ursine one. Which version of the game are you playing? Just the release or an experimental build?

The bug was with Troglobite, though I’m wondering if something else broke somewhere.

(That said, it could be that Ursine doesn’t have very many pre-Threshold uniques, so its chances don’t get very high.)

Clarifying points:

1. Dreams happen when you sleep, not when you inject, so if you’re missing the dreams, give it a night or so.

2. Is your character getting the headaches and visions when you inject? If so, that’s a failed breach-attempt (you missed the roll).

I gave it a couple nights every time I injected. Also, I later tried hibernation, to no avail.

I’m playing experimental 0.A-562-g5c010a7.

No headaches, but I get the “urge to patrol the woods” and a lot of echoes about something straining inside me, yearning to be free.

When I tried a different threshold, I got the dreams almost immediately.

the echoes are you failing to meet the mutation threshold

I had a character that just got the chimera threshold on day 2 by using only 2 mutagenic serums and 1 mutagen. So uh, yeah. My only beef with that is the metabolism and thirst. Dammit, I don’t want to hunt edible animals for 4 hours of each day, I want to destroy things!

I guess I’ll just take up residence near an anthill or something.

[quote=“Murphy, post:4, topic:5538”]I gave it a couple nights every time I injected. Also, I later tried hibernation, to no avail.

No headaches, but I get the “urge to patrol the woods” and a lot of echoes about something straining inside me, yearning to be free.

When I tried a different threshold, I got the dreams almost immediately.[/quote]

Unfortunately the last-commit isn’t useful in this case; thanks anyway. Looks like Ursine might need a bit more love; I can look into that.

However, the urge to “patrol the woods” is ORAL mutagen. That’s your problem right there: you’re not using the serums. Orals can’t breach the threshold. You’d “feel yourself quite equipped for wilderness survival” if you shot up ursine serum.

Something yearning to be free is when you rolled a mutation that requires a threshold, and you don’t have that threshold. (It then removes the category-restriction and rolls a generic mutation for you.)

[quote=“KA101, post:7, topic:5538”][quote=“Murphy, post:4, topic:5538”]I gave it a couple nights every time I injected. Also, I later tried hibernation, to no avail.

When I tried a different threshold, I got the dreams almost immediately.[/quote]

Unfortunately the last-commit isn’t useful in this case; thanks anyway. Looks like Ursine might need a bit more love; I can look into that.

However, the urge to “patrol the woods” is ORAL mutagen. That’s your problem right there: you’re not using the serums. Orals can’t breach the threshold. You’d “feel yourself quite equipped for wilderness survival” if you shot up ursine serum.

Something yearning to be free is when you rolled a mutation that requires a threshold, and you don’t have that threshold. (It then removes the category-restriction and rolls a generic mutation for you.)[/quote]
I found the same thing. The Ursine mutation line shares a lot with other mutations, with very few pre-threshold uniques. In my copy of the game, I usually add the TOUGH series of mutations, with the highest being a threshold for Urisine, as bears are known for their toughness and the tough categories are not currently used by any mutation.

I also take out the Carnivore series of mutations, as most bears are omnivores, and the carnivore series of mutations is shared by a lot of mutation catagories.

I also add Outdoorsman, but that is just a personal feeling from the descriptive text.

First or second-stage Tough might work, but that’s a pretty nice boost. Third-stage is a bit much.

(Every trait should be in or a prereq to one that’s in a category, true. For that purpose, " “starting_trait” : true," is a valid category. The issue is whether you can reasonably obtain the trait.)

Bears don’t get Carnivore in mainline. They can get stuff that depends on Carnivore and pick it up as a result, and I’ll take that under advisement. The Predator line is strictly post-Threshold so it doesn’t apply to Threshold-determination: nobody should have it pre-Threshold, and if you do it’s a bug.

Thing is, I am not talking about breaching the threshold, I’m talking about receiving dreams. Drinkable mutagen should be enough for this, and after you’ve got third-tier dreams, then you must use serums to actually breach threshold.

Besides, I actually did use both drinkable mutagen and then serum. And respectively got patrol echoes and wilderness survival echoes. Sorry for being misleading.

Thing is, I am not talking about breaching the threshold, I’m talking about receiving dreams. Drinkable mutagen should be enough for this, and after you’ve got third-tier dreams, then you must use serums to actually breach threshold.

Besides, I actually did use both drinkable mutagen and then serum. And respectively got patrol echoes and wilderness survival echoes. Sorry for being misleading.[/quote]

Third-stage dreams are a sign that you have a strong enough mutation category to breach. You don’t have to have actually had any dreams in order to breach, though. I wrote that code.

Having trouble getting the category strong enough is a valid concern and I’ll get on that as soon as I finish up my current project. Thanks for the report.