Mutation dreams

Tamunshin is doing something pretty nifty (IMO) in the git: mutants will now get dreams based on their strongest mutation category.

Check it out! Link to pull request

Since the dreams are now in JSON form, everyone can add their own freaky dream messages without needing a recompile. The ones I’ve added are pretty basic so I encourage the creative members among us to come up with all sorts of dreams.

Just want to say that I thought this addition to the code was awesome. Nice idea. For an unspoiled player, mutations were too much of a black box. This could really add some neat flavor to the game.

Quick question about mutation strength… Is 3 the max category level, or does it go beyond that? And is the level decided by number of mutations, severity (meaning how non-human it makes you) of mutations, or what?

Mutation category strength increases by 8 every time you gain a mutation in that category, and is reduced by 8 when you lose a mutation in the category. There’s also a small chance for a category to lose 1 point when you mutate in a different category.

The effect strength of 1, 2 and 3 you see in the JSON is just used to specify if it’s for low, medium or high levels of mutation. The effect strength is determined by the category strength (and thus, how heavily mutated into a category you are). When category strength is below 20 (less than 3 mutations in the category), you’ll get no effect at all. From 20 to 35 (3 or 4 mutations) you’ll get the effect strength 1. 35 to 50 (5 or 6 mutations) is effect strength 2. Above 50 (more than 6 mutations in the category) you’ll see effect strength 3. Other than changing the message you get, the higher levels tend to get more dreams than lower ones, at effect strength 1 you get a chance for a dream every 6 hours. At level 2 it’s every 3 hours and at level 3 it’s every 2 hours. However, each time there’s only a 33% chance that you’ll actually get a dream.

The thresholds for the effect strengths were just arbitrary levels that I chose, I felt that they spread the effects out enough without precluding some of the inherently weaker categories (Rat, for example, only has a small number of mutations) from getting strength 3.

CoC style dreams, please. :V

I looked at the two top results for CoC.
I really hope it was the first one.

Anyways, I’m looking forwards to writing a few dreams of my own. Is it possible to add requirements for multiple categories? (IE 1 level in slime AND spiders)

cough Corruption of Champions.
It’s all NSFW /d/ material.

Looks like he’s adding support for multiple pregnancies at the moment.
Some days I just don’t even

I was thinking of Call of Chtuhulu.

Corruption of Champions. Because rule 34/33?

How about we fuse the two? Because Cata can always use more lovecraft. wink wink.

Good old Cephalopod Mutagen, where would we be without ye? :wink:

[quote=“Iosyn, post:8, topic:2667”]cough Corruption of Champions.

Some days I just don’t even[/quote]

Dafuq? is this a game or some sort of barnyard rape simulator?

[quote=“jimboblordofeskimos, post:12, topic:2667”][quote=“Iosyn, post:8, topic:2667”]cough Corruption of Champions.

Some days I just don’t even[/quote]

Dafuq? is this a game or some sort of barnyard rape simulator?[/quote]
All three! And you just had to link it, didn’t you? WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?

ahem Anywho back to the subject matter. How does it treat mutations that are in multiple categories? Add points to all categories? Half-points?
I should really just learn C so I don’t have to ask all these questions :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Inquisitor Dust, post:13, topic:2667”]ahem Anywho back to the subject matter. How does it treat mutations that are in multiple categories? Add points to all categories? Half-points?
I should really just learn C so I don’t have to ask all these questions :p[/quote]

Thread locked pending cleanup request.

I’m with Dust & Jimbob on this one. Problem with Call/Cthulhu is the constant SAN drain; (most immediately apparent) problems with Corruption/Champs are the omnipresent rape & the lack of male recruitable-characters. (Especially the one gay romantic partner being expressly opt-outable, being right up there with genital parasites. Objectifiers can’t take what they dish out?)

I’d assume that the points would go to all categories, but I wouldn’t know.

So, how do dreams work exactly? I didn’t realize they were introduced.

They were introduced in experimental. If you are heavily mutated, you will have dreams based on your mutation category.

Maybe we should have regular dreams based off the Space Station 13 model which works excellently. Basically, random phrases, descriptions, and words are put in a sequence until you wake up, and are implied to be individual elements in your dreams. You’re meant to connect the dots yourself.

It works like this (Adapted for Cataclysm!): “You fall asleep… A mushroom cloud… The sun… You did what you had to do… A little girl… A zombie…”. I think it’d work great for it.

SS13 had a very, very great dream system. I’d love to implement the same thing, except how actual dreams work moreso- any action will put its meaning into your subconscious after 4-5 hours of not repeating it. Then, it has a chance to work its way into your dream.