How does the new time system work?

[quote=“KA101, post:20, topic:2267”]Re map-data: I rather like the surface-map d/l in Labs. Sure, I lose “the sense of exploration” in terms of map revelation/rerollability…
BUT
now I can plan operations. Rather than sweeping through an area with binoculars and wondering when the sun’s gonna set (thus stopping my ability to map), I can look at the map and think “OK, there’s a milsurp here, a pawnshop there, looks like that might be a Mansion, and Jackpot! sewage treatment off to the side. Will have to route around the apartment building and office towers, so that’ll take another hour at least.”

I find that a bit more rewarding, personally. SIGINT doesn’t tell you what’s in the building. It only tells you what the building is.

Re radios: I’ve never picked up any broadcasts, whatever. Is that something I’d need a Directional Antenna for, and if so, what skill levels would I need?

[Just got Mechanics to 11 whilst fixing a Semi, so the picklock kit is actually reliable again. 6-7, it takes about 20-15 tries. X-| ][/quote]
On the radio broadcasts, IIRC they are not programmed and sometimes crash the game if used, I think they might be making them a little more interactive when NPCs can chat to you with them.

On map-gen, I’ll let you make a thread about it, see what the larger population thinks about it.

You are thinking of two-way radios. I was referring to one-way radio broadcasts, such as weather.

I’m fairly certain you don’t need a directional antenna to pick up radio broadcasts. Though someone else would have to go more into detail on exactly how you pick up them (I do know you can get weather forecast broadcasts, for example).

A trait seems unlikely, can anybody tell the time to the minute? Even without looking at a watch for days?
Radios and MP3s. Hmm. Maybe, but I dont know where it would appear, with a watch it is on the UI when worn, you cant wear a radio/MP3.
Bionic, probably not. It’s just that I dont think that pre-cataclysm scientists would create a watch bionic when they could have just bought a watch.

Power helmets should totally have a time readout, like this, only with time and not all that fancy other stuff.[/quote]
@traits Down to the minuet? No. But to the quarter, most assuredly.

@MP3/Radios

Well, you’re not constantly looking at your watch, even though you have a constant display of time. So, there no reason why an MP3/Radio cant have a constant display time as well.

That claim doesn’t quite make logical sense. Each “tick” is 6 seconds, so it’s assumed that any time you check the game time IRL your character spent a little of his 6 seconds to glance at his watch. The question for radios/mp3’s is that they might not have clocks on them at all, since many radios/mp3’s don’t.

That claim doesn’t quite make logical sense. Each “tick” is 6 seconds, so it’s assumed that any time you check the game time IRL your character spent a little of his 6 seconds to glance at his watch. The question for radios/mp3’s is that they might not have clocks on them at all, since many radios/mp3’s don’t.[/quote]
I would argue that a great many of mp3 players do have clocks. The only exception that I can think of, are these super cheep mp3 you find in claw games, or the like, which I dont think anyone is arguing that that is the mp3 player thats generically used in the game.

As for Radio, I cant even think of an exception of a digital radio that doesn’t have a time read out. So again, its a debate if the radios in Cataclysm are analog or digital. And, I think most folks would have to purposefully find an analog radio.

And to carry through with you’re logic about the six second rule… that implies to justify the you’re constantly looking at your watch every six second to justify the constant time read out.

When the Time Read Out is an abstraction that if need to, the player can know the exact time. Which can be acomplished by looking at a mp3 player or a radio, as trivially as a wrist watch.

I’m nearly 100% sure that mp3 players use sattellite clocks to give their readout, and maybe radios too. People need to maintain the computers that work these satellites, right? After a while, it’s going to give off a completely wrong time.

Unless this is HORRIBLY WRONG.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:26, topic:2267”]I’m nearly 100% sure that mp3 players use sattellite clocks to give their readout, and maybe radios too. People need to maintain the computers that work these satellites, right? After a while, it’s going to give off a completely wrong time.

Unless this is HORRIBLY WRONG.[/quote]
You’re horribly wrong.

While some devices communicate with an atomic (not satellite) clock there is no reason why a digital clock would ever fall from being accurate, except for DST. Only Analog Clocks slowly fall out of being on time

[quote=“kilozombie, post:26, topic:2267”]I’m nearly 100% sure that mp3 players use sattellite clocks to give their readout, and maybe radios too. People need to maintain the computers that work these satellites, right? After a while, it’s going to give off a completely wrong time.

Unless this is HORRIBLY WRONG.[/quote]
Sorry, but you are HORRIBLY WRONG.

But only because of the satellite part. Not even your cell phone gets the time from satellites. The only thing that I can think of getting the time from satellites are satellite phones, but IIRC they don’t.

The reason behind this is because of the energy required to send a signal of any sort to low earth orbit is larger than most batteries can take. Most electronics just have a tiny side microprocessor that just continuously ticks away. It requires relatively little energy and can in some cases last for years (digital watches are reaching the 10 year mark without failing).

As for the time on radios. Hmm. Is it a 2 way or a 1 way? I think that the 2 way that I personally have does not have a time readout, and the 1 way that I do (a few minutes later) does not either.

But if we get radios working we could have something like BBC has where every 15 minutes or so they say “It is 17 minutes past 5 o’clock GMT. On to the news”. Therefore if you had a radio you would have to be listening to it to figure out what time it was.

I guess I’m remembering wrong then.

I just remember somewhere on Numberphile or something, they were talking about a satellite whose maintainers didn’t keep track/fix the clock inside, causing some huge problems.

[quote=“MrWiggles, post:25, topic:2267”]I would argue that a great many of mp3 players do have clocks. The only exception that I can think of, are these super cheep mp3 you find in claw games, or the like, which I dont think anyone is arguing that that is the mp3 player thats generically used in the game.

As for Radio, I cant even think of an exception of a digital radio that doesn’t have a time read out. So again, its a debate if the radios in Cataclysm are analog or digital. And, I think most folks would have to purposefully find an analog radio.

And to carry through with you’re logic about the six second rule… that implies to justify the you’re constantly looking at your watch every six second to justify the constant time read out.

When the Time Read Out is an abstraction that if need to, the player can know the exact time. Which can be acomplished by looking at a mp3 player or a radio, as trivially as a wrist watch.[/quote]
I’ll agree with you on the mp3 player point (though that’s only due to the fact that we don’t really have “mp3 players” anymore, just ipods that are virtually identical to our phones).

I would have to say that the mp3 player needs to be turned “on” for this to work though, elsewise you could carry around a mp3 player without batteries in order to tell time.

On the point of radio I’ll have to disagree with you though. A quick check of the first “personal radios” (which are most likely the type you find, as well as the type you would make yourself by crafting) page on amazon reveals about a 50-50 split between radios with clocks and radios without them. Also as mentioned by Otaku most 2 way radios don’t have time at all (an amazon check reveals 0 two way radios with time on the first page). As I said I can see the radio broadcasters putting the time out occasionally, but I don’t think that it should be an intrinsic radio feature.

[quote=“kilozombie, post:30, topic:2267”]I guess I’m remembering wrong then.

I just remember somewhere on Numberphile or something, they were talking about a satellite whose maintainers didn’t keep track/fix the clock inside, causing some huge problems.[/quote]Yep, thats because they have to account for time delay from relativity.

So then what are the radios in Cataclysm? I figure they were digital small house radio meant for listening. A 2 two way radio, is a different thing. That strikes me something like a CB radio.

But with satillite photograph (assuming it is functional) you will lose the sense of exploration, adventuring and discovery. It is like when a dungeon is already revealed, you will know what to expect, so it is not as fun.[/quote]

I’m not sure how you got that point, but by “wider map”, I mean something like binoculars. And no, binoculars don’t take away from anything of the game.

[quote="Flare, post:16, topic:2267"]Yes it does duplicate some features in the game, but you have to keep in mind that they're all bundled up and likely won't cost as much as all of the others taken separately, and it gives you a definite advantage in the beginning.[/quote] But how far in the beginning? It takes a while in order to train yourself to put bionics in yourself, and starting off with android trait does not garentee having this bionic.

Since I said the bionic is going to be available at player creation, at the very beginning, like a profession, except this one tab is for mundane bionics, like internal clock, and basic health signs.

I’m not sure how you got that point, but by “wider map”, I mean something like binoculars. And no, binoculars don’t take away from anything of the game.[/quote]
Yet, you said satellites. Oh well. There are already binoculars in game, and they do give you an advantage when exploring the overmap. As for getting them at the start they might come with come of the professions.

Since I said the bionic is going to be available at player creation, at the very beginning, like a profession, except this one tab is for mundane bionics, like internal clock, and basic health signs.
We could probably add an internal clock feel into aware trait. IIRC that trait is a bit UP and the devs want to make it better. So maybe estimating time to the nearest half hour or so?

I’m not sure how you got that point, but by “wider map”, I mean something like binoculars. And no, binoculars don’t take away from anything of the game.[/quote]
Yet, you said satellites. Oh well. There are already binoculars in game, and they do give you an advantage when exploring the overmap. As for getting them at the start they might come with come of the professions.

We could probably add an internal clock feel into aware trait. IIRC that trait is a bit UP and the devs want to make it better. So maybe estimating time to the nearest half hour or so?[/quote] Folks with good sense of time can do it to the quarter hour.