How do you guys play without some savescumming?

Why on earth are you trying to engage in a quick-draw contest against a robot? I’ve killed loads of turrets, but not like that. That’s just suicidal.

5 Likes

how do melee turret, i always lose.

fuck, i can never get close enough typically, unless it drops in from behind me.

the only valid options are:

1. throw a car at it and demolish it and the building it’s in
  2. waste forever making emp crap and training throwing
1 Like

There are lots of ways of handing turrets depending on where you are any what you have available.
If you have a ranged option then IIRC the max range for 9mm turrets is 12ish tiles, it might actually be less but I usual aim to be 13 tiles away when I deal with them.
If not and you are in a lab or something, another option is to push lockers or similar furniture in place to block line of sight to were you are going.
This can also be used to get within melee range IF you are fast enough. You push up to the turret, let go, drop whatever encumberance you can, wait until your action points are full then run the one step to be beside the turret and attack. I wouldn’t try this unless you have good melee skills though as missing will get you a burst of 9mm at extremely close range.

1 Like

you guys don’t seem to understand the real problem here:

if i can see the turret, it can see me and it can shoot much faster.

Open doors at an angle and peek before entering.

they’re still a 100% god-moded monster.

and either way turrets aren’t the point i’m making here, there’s substantially more cruft and upkeep just to play the game these days, that’s really all there is to it.

I don’t disagree parsay, there was a topic a while back where I commented on it. I’m not the biggest fan of stuff that can one shot you, I generally see it as a trap for new players more then anything and tedious to deal with when you can anticipate it.
But I was replying to your original post about there not being ways to deal with them, there are plenty of ways that don’t even involve you crafting anything even if you don’t have a ranged option of some kind.

peeking and running away is not dealing with it imo.

dead making is dealt with.

i guess long winded round about way of saying is that the more upkeep and maintenance crap i have to do playing the game the more likely i am to justify alt + f4 out of a death.

edit: i always forget to mention but really should, i cheat liberally, but i also take (almost) every possible increase in difficulty as well, roguelikes are no fun if you don’t die constantly anyway.

Did I say runaway? you said when you see a turret it can already see you, I advised you to peek. As for “dead making is dealt with”, tell me what part of this turret isn’t “dealt with”:

If it sees you, you run back behind the wall or shut the door so it doesn’t kill you. Most turrets can be bypassed and ignored.
To kill it, you have a ton of options. For example, if you really want to shoot it, peek around the corner and toss a smoke bomb and then shoot the tile where it was – turrets don’t move so you can know exactly where to shoot even if you can’t see it. Smoke bombs take cooking:3 and mechanics:1 so any survivor past the first week can crank them out easily.
If you don’t have any skills, resources, or anything, and absolutely must kill it, lure a zombie into it LOS and let it run out of ammo.
Turrets are easy peasy, try having a few chicken walkers on your kill list.

hello

consider the following: those 4 room lab sections that spawn turrets usually have them in one room, open the opposite room’s door, which should be dark, then open the room with the turret’s door from cover(behind the wall) then head to the dark room, but not by passing in front of the turret, but by going around(since the rooms have 2 entrances) and from the dark, shoot the turret in the opposite room with any rifle or a crossbow for a matter. really simple. you can handle most robots in the game with night vision and shooting them with a crossbow from the dark

1 Like

Really wish there was a way to throw grenades from cover, it would make fighting turrets less of a chore than just skipping them.

1 Like

You can blind throw from peeking.

so much this. (this is not part of the post “is it twenty fucking characters yet mom?” )

you have me entirely wrong if you think i “do” stealth or sneaky shit.

Then we’re back to “if you’re standing in the open trading bullets with a robotic machine gun, your play style is the problem, not the mechanics.”
And yeah, you can throw grenades from cover, by using the peek command.

then i’m back to asserting they should have a sane move speed.

They don’t move so they will always have action points.
If you don’t want to play carefully then armour yourself up in kevlar lined heavy survivor gear and kevlar lined flame resistance gear and punch it to death.

Not really, there are dozens of games where fighting against turrets is actually fun, in any Valve games they have laser aim that inform the player where they are looking, they have a beep that plays for a second or so before they open fire that plays to inform the player that he has been found out and should duck for cover, in Portal they even vocalize all the time to inform you what their AI is thinking.

In this game they are either a game over screen or a pile of scrap.

1 Like

It’s almost like they’re military turrets, with military tech targeting and full of ammunition. It’s almost like they were designed to kill human beings.

9 Likes

what do you think i’ve been doing?
but either way, turrets do move way too fast with their aiming either way, there’s human professional shooters that can fire a gun from a holster accurately and have it holstered again almost faster than the human eye can see, there’s NO FUCKING WAY that you shouldn’t be able to at least make your first shot at the same time the turret does.