How do I remove things from region gen like forests and roads?

i’m trying to build a truly desolate region mod but even digging through examples in the dessert region mod I find it is still full of forests and roads and such (although I’m curious how they got ravines working).
I tried simply removing stuff I didn’t want like forest region gen and swamps (basically any surface water) so they don’t appear in mapgen, but the game seems to refuse to load and give me

: Error: Json error: data/mods/beginnermod/remapped.json:53:7: “forest_mapgen_settings”: { … } required for default

FUNCTION : bool main_menu::new_character_tab()
FILE : src/main_menu.cpp
LINE : 944
VERSION : aa69568

Is there any way I can blacklist certain region things from generating? I’m pretty new to modding so I don’t know much of how to “remove” things as much as “add” them
Edit: I experimented a bit and one minor work around was changing where the “field” was located on the z levels and moved it one space up, and surprisingly it worked. This also fixed my problem of trying to make buildings submerged,since now only the roofs show up. Now all I need to do is find a city to see if this worked. This is what I’d call a pretty happy accident

Paging the My Sweet Cataclysm developer…

I don’t understand what this has to do with my question? I checked out the mod but the sweets mod doesn’t even affect regional generation, just terrain. Do they know something about how to get rid of mapgen of regions?

It’s a joke because you said “dessert” instead of “desert”.

Your best bet would be changing the forest biome to look like a desolate field by adjusting plant frequency. The current regions are hard coded.

hm I see. What would I have to put in to make it so forests would basically never appear?
there are alot of things under forests so its a bit overwhelming