How did you last die?

I went into a town to loot homes. Second day I run into a big guy. Needless to say he pounded me into the ground.

1 Like

The house Iwas in randomly exploded. I still have yet to figure out how.

5 Likes

I was on the final level of a triffid place and armed some C4 I had gotten from a bunch of dead guys and forgot to drop it.

2 Likes

I was chased into the sewers by a horde of zombies and eventually ran into a dead end at a lava-filled rift. Without any other options, I decided to see how far I could walk into the lava before dying, and surprisingly I could walk nonstop until my pain was in the 7000s+. I even found a Hellā€™s Mouth staircase going down, but it was blocked off half-way down. Any idea whatā€™s down there? before eventually succumbing to thirst and hunger as I found my way to the other side, about twelve tiles of lava away. I died trying to drink sewage with my speed at 1.

2 Likes

Opened the door to a radio tower to see what was inside.

Surprise, it was filled with giant wasps!

1 Like

Starving, Dehydrated and hypothermic I grabbed my bubble car and drive head on (at 48mph) into the Zombie Hordeā€¦

I almost got away with it if I had realised his speed was 1 before stepping out of the car at the endā€¦

Spidersā€¦ spiders every where.

2 Likes

I blew my self up with a Molotov while trying to burn a building full of Zed.

1 Like

Sorry if this is lengthy, itā€™s the story of my first ever game (Iā€™ve been trying not to read too much on it at first, I want to learn as I play), and I tried to make my character a somewhat realistic but still stylized version of myself to see how Iā€™d fair in this sort of situation. Iā€™m telling it all because I didnā€™t last long.

8:00 AM. Convinced the NPC in my shelter to come with me on the search for his dog. He gives me some pills. I check his inventory, heā€™s a veritable pharmacy. We raid a store. I got a steak knife, cargo pants, boots, a rain jacket, wool poncho, some chips, a can of root beer, winter gloves and a lighter. No backpack. We move up to a clothing store beside us. As weā€™re walking towards it we spot some Zā€™s. I start heading around to the back but my partner runs up towards the front.

ā€œYou hear the sound of windows smashing in the north.ā€

I turn back to help him. Heā€™s fighting a Z. By the time I get close thereā€™s 3 more approaching. I engage one as he kills the first and starts fighting the other two. He dies, I run. I hope to duck into the first store, maybe it will provide some sort of obstacle between the Zā€™s and myself. Forgot about that sink blocking the door though and get caught on it. I make it out but with the original three right on my tail and more are on the way. I run into a field and get intercepted. There are now 17 Zā€™s on my back. My glasses break. Iā€™m reduced to stumbling around blind. My vision extends to only a few meters ahead of me. The horde overwhelms. 10:02 AM.

Didnā€™t expect to die that fast. This small story of mine is nothing remarkable, but I just love the detail and over-all challenge of the game. Iā€™m already hooked.

2 Likes

Pistachio you probably made the right choice playing a bit before reading anything. Always more fun to learn first hand, or in my case first face.

My last death involved a Thermal fun dispenser commonly referred to as a mini nuke (active) this was given to me oh so kindly by the NPC had watching my back.

Turning the corner i see a single zombie Thatā€™s oddā€¦ I got this! jusk gona bust his head in with this pipe and hope heā€™s got something good. Sprinting at the zombie You are so dead! I wrench back the pipe andā€¦ Urist Mcā€™Asshole arms mininuke I donā€™t notice. A wild swing and I rattle the zombies brain box, stunning him Ha! Doesnā€™t even get to swing back. Time to finish him off. Miss, and I go blind. The hell is this. look at the logā€¦ Urist Mcā€™Asshole throws mininuke (armed) and hits you in the eyes blinding you. FFFUCK! Not only am I about to be blown to bits, but Iā€™m blind because my ally through a nuke through the back of my head.

While I died in the ensuing blast the NPC lived.

Roll up a new character.
Cheat to give him a mini nuke.
Arm it.
Sell it to the bastard.
???
Profit!

Oddly this ranks as one of my better deaths even if he didnā€™t live to see lunch.

[quote=ā€œTaintedHolyWater, post:70, topic:339ā€]Pistachio you probably made the right choice playing a bit before reading anything. Always more fun to learn first hand, or in my case first face.

My last death involved a Thermal fun dispenser commonly referred to as a mini nuke (active) this was given to me oh so kindly by the NPC had watching my back.

Turning the corner i see a single zombie Thatā€™s oddā€¦ I got this! jusk gona bust his head in with this pipe and hope heā€™s got something good. Sprinting at the zombie You are so dead! I wrench back the pipe andā€¦ Urist Mcā€™Asshole arms mininuke I donā€™t notice. A wild swing and I rattle the zombies brain box, stunning him Ha! Doesnā€™t even get to swing back. Time to finish him off. Miss, and I go blind. The hell is this. look at the logā€¦ Urist Mcā€™Asshole throws mininuke (armed) and hits you in the eyes blinding you. FFFUCK! Not only am I about to be blown to bits, but Iā€™m blind because my ally through a nuke through the back of my head.

While I died in the ensuing blast the NPC lived.

Roll up a new character.
Cheat to give him a mini nuke.
Arm it.
Sell it to the bastard.
???
Profit!

Oddly this ranks as one of my better deaths even if he didnā€™t live to see lunch.[/quote]

Dont you just love NPCs who throw active nuclear bombs at you? I do.

The last NPC I saw I beat to death with with the Playboy he gave me. The proceeded to get mauled to death by house dwelling bears. While trying to read the playboy mind you.

My first game ended under similar circumstances ā€“ the starting NPC agreed to teach me some skills after I rescued his dog but first he wanted to go someplace safe. I told him to lead the way.

So he lead the way. Right into a house full of wasps.

In moderate pain and trialing half a town worth of zombies, I was interrupted by a couple of enforcer bots asking me to put down my weapon. I dropped the rock I was carrying and walked towards the enforcer bots hoping theyā€™d go to work on the murderous horde following me. Instead, it would seem their positronic brains must have calculated I was the ringleader of a riot, and they applied computerized police brutality until I was subdued, permanently.

Not sure if thatā€™s my last character or not, itsā€™ been awhile since I had to start a new one. My current character, a fast-learning, fast-reading type, is up to Summer, day 3, largely by legging it the moment his experience pool is gone and then reading until itā€™s full again.

dont let them take you anywhere.

And now heā€™s bit the dust.

Long story short: Discretion is the better part of valor, and I momentary forgot that when I found a lovely broadsword in a pawn shop. When you forget that, Cataclysm will help you remember.

Short story long:

It began when I noticed I was being trailed by a shrieker on the way out of town. Not wanting to have a mess to clean up, I doubled back to finish her off with my broadsword. About 5 punches in, I discovered my broadsword was being treated as a tool instead of a weapon and so did not automatically equip itself. Equipped it and finished off the shrieker, but now I had to deal with a fair clump of zombies, including a bruiser.

Naturally, I bolted, but I had taken enough damage from the shrieker that the bruiser was catching up enough to damage me. So I turned and gave him a solid whack with my broadsword! If youā€™ve ever used cutting weapons in this version of Cataclysm, you can guess what happened next: the broadsword ended up solidly lodged in the bruiser and out of my hands! I should have paid more attention to that, because once again I wasted a few turns punching a very nasty zombie. I then switched to my wooden spear backup, and it too lodged in the bruiser. I was now largely defenseless and with the main mass of zombies having caught up to the fight. Alright, if thatā€™s how you want to play itā€¦ lit up a molotov and lured the mass of zombies through it. This barely finished off the bruiser and the majority of the enemies that had threatened me.

I had not noticed that Zombie Necromancer before, but I certainly did now, as it raised the bruiser and several other zombies. Uh oh. Some blobs showed up, making things even more complicated. Knowing that I would not be able to escape that Bruiser if it just kept getting back up again, I doubled back slightly to toss another molotov at the Necromancer.It barely did the trick of putting the necromancer down, but that resurrected Bruiser was now hot on my heels again. I knew the only chance I would have to get away now would be to finish off the bruiser and the skeletons that showed up, while ditching the rest of the horde in a building or something.

I managed to make it around a nearby house and into an alley between it and another house, a nice chokepoint where I used my third molotov, granted I couldnā€™t use it very well because the horde was largely upon me at this point. Fortunately, I was able to lure a lot of zombies through the fire patch, but two skeletons and several zombies were hot on my heels, and my pain level was sufficient that I would not be able to escape them. By now, I was so badly torn up that I had lost an arm! But my torso was doing rather well, thanks to wearing a flak jacket. However, having come full circle now, I decided to grab the broadsword and try againā€¦ oh, right, I canā€™t wield a broadsword with only one arm, and the wooden spear had burned up in the fire. RIP.

In retrospect, this whole battle would have gone a lot better if I had kept my nailbat instead grabbing that broadsword. With 5-6 melee and dodge, itā€™s usually enough to put down the common rabble zombies, and it does not have the same weakness cutting weapons have of getting stuck in zombies. Itā€™s also classified correctly as a weapon so it automatically equips itself when picked up! Alternately, I might just try going unarmed for my melee needs: my fist never got stuck in a zombie (yet).

1 Like

After several attempts to sneak around towns, I took the advice of some ā€¦ person who plays and struck off through the wilderness. Strangely, it wasnā€™t spiders, bears, cougars, or wolves that kicked my bucketā€¦ it was blobs in mass numbers. They just giggled at my katana.

The friendly man in the shelter with me gave me a handy dandy vortex stone to help get him some antibiotics.

If only I had known what they did before I activated it.

1 Like

[quote=ā€œbytoady, post:77, topic:339ā€]The friendly man in the shelter with me gave me a handy dandy vortex stone to help get him some antibiotics.

If only I had known what they did before I activated it.[/quote]
Umā€¦ I have only used them twice, granted, and both times right after I found them, but they did basically nothing except being vortexy.

A friendly vortex started following me around like a puppy, showing its love, by blasting me with harmless gusts of wind.

Into the sides of buildings, crushing my torso and forcing all of my ribs into my lungs.

I feel that the friendly in its description could have used some sarcastic quotes.

1 Like

Just got surprise Hulkā€™d
On my almost year old survivor with 880 kills. Got bored and starded using a broadsword instead of that fusion-lazer 2 shot thingy, ran into a crowd of zombies and starded slashing them apart, after a few turns the death message appears, it took me a while to realize that I was just killed by a Hulk.
Is it just me or do they need a slightly more noticeable tile? Some thing more like ā€œOh shit, run!ā€, and less like a dark blue Z symbol that blends into the backround.