How did you last die?

Started a new run, found basic power armor in a military surplus shop.

Gleefully went around bashing in the heads of Z-Brutes, only to be mobbed by 7 giant wasps in the middle of the night.

[quote=“Inconspicuous, post:2421, topic:339”]Started a new run, found basic power armor in a military surplus shop.

Gleefully went around bashing in the heads of Z-Brutes, only to be mobbed by 7 giant wasps in the middle of the night.[/quote]

Fun.

Stepped on a landmine. Survived.
Got mobbed at like 200 pain with two broken limbs. Survived
Wasted my only first aid kits on torso and head only to get an arm infected.
Lost to the zone

1 Like

Intentional suicide.

Oh look, I’m double posting. In this thread.

Asthmar.

I was stupidly wandering through the wreckage of a grocery store a previous character had burned down, trying to find a couple of gallon jugs to fill with gasoline to gas up my beetle.

A nearby corpse suddenly scrambles to its feet!

Only this wasn’t any corpse. It was a Zombie Hulk it was on an adjacent fucking tile. So I immediately hit the strongest panic button I had, an adrenaline injector that I’d found during a recent laboratory raid. Hulk hit me once, did not send me flying surprisingly, and I began running like hell. Thanks to the power of adrenaline, I quickly outpaced it and hid in a house a couple blocks away.

Then the adrenaline wore off and I had an asthma attack every single turn until I died (I had 264 inhaler charges). I think it has something to do with the stim hidden stat?

From the asthma page on the wiki. But unable to determine any further how exactly the math lead to the number in parentheses being 1 because the wiki doesn’t tell you how exactly adrenaline injector or adrenaline comedown effect your stim stat (and I’m not great at arithmetic anyway).

Save-scummed this death anyway. I didn’t even know it was possible to die from asthma in this game, having a Hulk spawn right on top of you is incredibly bad luck, but most importantly Dr. Johnson just had too much cool loot from his lab spelunking to let him die so tragically.

Legendary bionics-addicted Skater Girl Samantha Clarke was killed after a piece of shrapnel tore straight through all her layers of protection and pulped her heart beyond nanobot-aided repair. [OOC: I set fire to some corpses I was next to because I thought the layers and layers of armour I had on would protect from a few bullets detonating, if there were any, while the explosions would still kill zombies. If not, the fire would. Turns out they didn’t protect me at all.]
In the last minutes her bionics afforded her - only eighteen years old, even after two years as a bionic killing machine - she slipped into a dying dream of peaceful days spent with friends and family, of the warm humanity she’d known before the Cataclysm.
Samantha Clarke died happy.

LEGACY

Samantha died leaving behind the Assimilator - fully stocked with spare gasoline, years’ worth of clean water and food, billions of dollars’ worth of top-end military technology, and enough weaponry to clear a hundred cities. Though she was forgotten, the lifeline she left behind led to the rise of a new warrior - although that is a story for another time.

Samantha Clarke’s reanimated corpse was killed with the weaponry she bore in life, by the survivor who came after her. The remains of her body were buried along with her less-useful personal effects, in an unmarked grave in a nearby cemetery. The only indication of her importance to the reclamation of New England was a bar of solid gold, engraved with the word ‘thanks’, laid across the mound of dirt.

The only person to remember Samantha as she was at her death was a man named Jefferson Hutchson, who had met a weak-looking girl wearing patchwork armour on the road. After stealing a LAW rocket launcher from her, he was perplexed to see it float off seemingly of its own accord, into the monstrosity of engineering the girl had gotten out of, and slam the door before driving away. Until his dying day Jefferson Hutchson swore he had met a ghost on the road, changed his ways, and later became known for setting up ‘The Hutch’, a well-frequented survivors’ outpost.

The many cities and vaults cleansed of the undead by Samantha were later used as outposts by survivors.

The aftermath of one of Samantha’s ‘car clearouts’ - a pile of Rivtech weapons, ammunition, and gallon jugs of clean water - helped a certain party of survivors gain a foothold in the metropolis it was left outside of, leading to its later reclamation.

The only surviving record of her identity Samantha left behind was a photograph of herself in the Assimilator, signed on the back with her initials and the message ‘Never give up!’. A few survivors pieced together the evidence (namely the piles of guns and visible bionic augmentation in conjunction with the swath of zombie-free land) and had her initials placed on a refugee center’s memorial wall.

She was outlived by her father, who never found out what had happened to his daughter, and two of her schoolfriends.

In the end, however, she was forgotten amongst the billions lost in the cataclysm.

Epic.

It always bugs me that no matter how great your character is or how long they survived, they are always “forgotten among billions lost in the cataclysm”. That’s alright if the character lived only a couple of days, although I’m not sure why a veteran survivor who survived in-game years and killed thousands of zombies would be forgotten as if they were a newbie who died on day 1.

[quote=“End Transmission, post:2425, topic:339”]Then the adrenaline wore off and I had an asthma attack every single turn until I died (I had 264 inhaler charges). I think it has something to do with the stim hidden stat?

I’m good at arithmetics, and I can say: it must have taken 72 stim to make you suffer asthma every turn. 100 x 36 = 3600, so 50 x 72 = 3600.

Well, adrenaline gives stim that allowed you to run fast. Caffeine gives the same effect, but much weaker than adrenaline. I believe I took 4 caffeine pills when trying to install a cbm (telescopic eyes) to boost my intelligence (by the way rng hated me and gave me failure without incident when the failure chance was 20%). Faster than a zombie hulk must have amounted to tons of stim, but because adrenaline’s description says it stops asthma attacks temporarily, you did not have asthma attacks while adrenaline was in effect. However, when you suffered the adrenaline comedown, you still had lots of stim (above 72) and then your asthma attacks killed you. Drinking loads of strong alcohol (the ones that make you thirsty) at that moment could have saved you, because strong alcohol becomes a depressant if you drink beyond the point where it makes you tipsy. Weak alcohol (the ones that still quench you) could work too, but you’d have to drink a lot more to get depressant effect.

ummm, why? does it bother you to be forgotten?

to whom do you tell your deeds (that doesnt die horribly)?
what children are there to recieve your legacy?
in what fashion do you hope to live on?
what cultureis there to spread your tales (tails too)?

everything about early development is Lovecraftian. this is def a feature from early dev

Human fossil will be excavated by blob-brain racoon man archaeologists.

Not how I died but rather nearly died. Couldn’t really fight a zombie in a house basement due to my rando character having both fragile and glass jaw so I had the brilliant idea of deciding to kill it with fire on a pool table. When it died I dragged its corpse and clothes out of the fire to pulp the corpse and disassemble its cargo pants so I could hopefully make my own. Anyways I essentially dicked around for a bit still in that basement until the fire I set started to spread to the other furniture and then the walls which caused some of the roof to collapse in which I decided that I have overstayed my rent so I ran towards the stairs and got up them to discover that half of the house the basement was a part of was on fire and literally got out of there just in time as a moderately sized group of zoms were coming over. Did however have to deal with blisters a bit which was annoying.

Speaking of which has anyone died from the random damage blisters do?

Once had a survivor die due to the random damage that happens when it’s too cold. Survivor had quite a bit of damage in the torso, and lower hit points on a body part seems to make the body more vulnerable to the cold, so basically the cold finished off what a shocker zombie started.

On a similar note although not on the latest experimental the same survivor from the above post was for some reason losing health over time for some reason.

It bothers me to be forgotten, I want to leave my mark on history…

Blisters are annoying but they are usually very easy to spot and prevent - if all your stats and your speed starts going red and your temperature is (Rising!) or more, walk away from the nearest fire. Usually when I set a mansion on fire I get blisters from getting too close. :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“hdggDalton, post:2434, topic:339”]It bothers me to be forgotten, I want to leave my mark on history…

Blisters are annoying but they are usually very easy to spot and prevent - if all your stats and your speed starts going red and your temperature is (Rising!) or more, walk away from the nearest fire. Usually when I set a mansion on fire I get blisters from getting too close. :P[/quote]
That’s how I noticed was by my stats falling. The issue is more of this is only a couple of day old rando who has both the fragile and glass jaw traits so getting blisters from out of control fires is an actual health issue for this guy.

Bottom of a mine, Fault end, monsters didn’t hurt me much, my companion with his UZI shooting at the monsters near me did, after the monsters were dead (and I was very hurt, thanks buddy!) found an artefact, noticed it had charges, “I wonder what it does”, it set the area around me (including where I was standing on) on fire, that is how I died.

[quote=“pisskop, post:2429, topic:339”]ummm, why? does it bother you to be forgotten?

to whom do you tell your deeds (that doesnt die horribly)?
what children are there to recieve your legacy?
in what fashion do you hope to live on?
what cultureis there to spread your tales (tails too)?

everything about early development is Lovecraftian. this is def a feature from early dev[/quote]
In terms of why? People often get attached to characters they’ve used for a long time and accomplished a lot with. It’s only natural to want them to be remembered in-canon.
Your questions are all mostly answered in my story thingy. Trinkets, evidence of past deeds, survivors’ notes, et cetera. I very much doubt that (especially in cases like Samantha’s, where she never interacted with factions) they’ll become a ‘historic figure’ as such, but what they did is hard to ignore. Nobody would ever, for instance, find out Samantha’s name or who she was before the cataclysm, but after the swath of land she completely purged of undead life is eventually repopulated, people will be aware ‘oh, someone’s been here before us’.
In the world after the apocalypse, everything is very impersonal unless people make an effort to preserve humanity. There’s no reason for me to drive raider corpses to cemeteries and pretend-bury them, but I do it anyway 'cause it’s respectful. Likewise, there was no obligation for the survivors in the story to get 'S.C’s name put on a memorial wall, but they figured ‘nobody wants to be forgotten’.

TL;DR: my headcanon is that people after the apocalypse just want life to go back to normal (aside from raiders or whatever) and are fairly decent people. Even my super-death-murderers tend to spare NPCs if possible. Living without hope for humanity, no matter how ‘appropriate to the genre’ it is, is just sad, so I like to think there IS hope.

i’m officially scared shitless and amazed how lucky i am at the same time, that is one !FUN! relic and then “cataclysm tiles has stopped working” because of snipping tool probably.

There comes a time where one realizes a character’s life has run its course. That time being hitting a Bear on the fuggin road at 100+ speeds and your electric car kinda just…dies. RIP Jamal, you weird ‘massage’ device user.

While doing speed tests, I hit a squirrel while going 1500 mph. That reduced all my frames to 0 hp. Then I skidded for a few map tiles and hit a wolf. My car EXPLODED. There I am, sitting in a pile of scrap, watching the shattered remains of the vehicle shoot off at an angle and plow through the forest beside the road.