How did you last die?

Garage door killed me. I closed it on myself. Broke both my leg splints.

It hit me three times.

ps. Got an error when i uploaded an attachment… something something is full

[quote=“zombiefood, post:2401, topic:339”]Garage door killed me. I closed it on myself. Broke both my leg splints.

It hit me three times[/quote]

I didn’t even realize you could do this…

I always figured you couldn’t, but made sure not to stand in the doorway, just in case.

Safety first, even after the apocalypse.

To paraphrase one of my favorite movies, Fallen starring Denzel Washington, let me tell you the story of how I almost died. Yes, I am cross-posting this to multiple threads with slightly different wording. I can’t help myself.

Dr. Rosalie Boyce has survived until the first day of summer. And OH BOY, what she has survived. The highlight was around Day 10-12 when a skeletal dog that I couldn’t hit in melee or with my pistols gnawed off both of her legs and brought me up to Pain 200 before I finally somehow killed it with a lucky headshot (it’s the first time in Cataclysm I can think of the RNG miraculously saving me instead of anti-miraculously fucking me). I didn’t have the Strength or volume to carry two weapons at once, so I had to drop the gun to pick up my makeshift machete and butcher it. She was left panting on a kitchen floor with two broken legs and her pants and backpack destroyed, STR, DEX, and PER of 0 from the pain, no painkillers stronger than Aspirin, and waiting for the crystal meth to wear off. Somehow she managed to build splints out of the curtain rods from the kitchen windows, splint her broken legs, drag herself into the next room, dismantle the bed, board up the windows, and sustain herself on a small cache of orange soda and root beer while waiting several days for her shattered bones to set. It is the only time EVER in Cataclysm that I have hit 200 pain and two missing limbs and actually somehow survived it. This came after: a day one that involved running through a road-clogging gauntlet of giant ants that unexpectedly turned hostile midway through, a day one run-in with a giant wasp that I really shouldn’t have survived, the wasp sting transitioned directly into the common cold which I was able to hole up in someone’s panic room and wait out (although I came very close to dying from dehydration). And was followed by: detoxifying from acquired alcoholism.

Yea no doors are deadly in cdda.

Dont. just dont. you will get wrecked.

the real shame is that the timing is a little weird to weaponize it, but monsters also take damage from doors. Only once though, since they only have the one body part.

1 word. landmine. enough said.

I think you’ll usually survive landmines if you are in a car of some sort, but that particular run I decided to be an unarmed combat master nomad who travels on foot. Funny how he could shrug off 2 infections (!) both on the same day (!!) caused by sewer alligators (!!!) but die to a landmine.

Landmines are pretty random. I’ve totally stepped on a few and survived. Other times not so much.

land mines produce fragmentations.

a frag goes out in a random direction. each one does.

one frag has a 1/9 chance of even trying to hit you.

so a low frag count means the occasional hit is lethal to unarmored people

Come to think of it, does the uncanny dodge bionic help dodge landmine shrapnel?

I believe the landmine explosion also does explosive damage, which for many is the final nail in the coffin before they get hit with a shrapnel. It’s also why when a small animal steps on a landmine, it gets shredded into pieces of meat. Although that might be because of the shrapnel which is by itself overkill for small animals (20+ damage?)

RIP Dr. Rosalie Boyce. She tried so hard, and got so far, and in the end, it only mattered slightly (okay, that’s way too soon, sorry).

I figured after her three brushes with the reaper she deserved at least three save scums, but even after all that, I was left in a position where after her daring escape from her blob-overrun garage in a cobbled together hippy van (which she removed and installed controls from/into while being CONTINUOUSLY attacked from all directions by small blobs) I parked the van outside a military bunker. From there I died, died, and died again. East of me was death, south of me was death, west of me was death, and north was the direction I was running from in the first place.

Kind of bummed out, but such is the nature of Cataclysm.

P.S. Do some mansions contain “variety packs” of zombies now? Again in the same version of the game I’m playing now I remember mansions pretty regularly being regular zeds only (and my RNG spewed out mansions a lot, like clearly I was in a very rich part of New England), but this mansion that was the final death of Rosalie had two zombie masters, a feral predator, two corrosive zombies, and who knows what other nastiness.

Well Zeds do evolve now.

My guy who has survived 61 days on 91 day seasons almost got into this thread, but not today. The worst he reached was … head hp.

When I hopped into a light tank’s turret near a regional school (!) I didn’t know HEAT rounds reached further than 50 tiles. I tried to shoot it at zombies, but twice it ended up hitting me as well. It’s made a lot more embarrassing by the fact that the zombies couldn’t hurt me at all, because I wore chainmail and a kevlar vest… I did the most damage to myself, 60+ damage to the head. The glass jaw trait almost got me killed, but not today. I’d be willing to say my head hp got down to the single digits, but after a quick nap in the forests it healed back to max because I ate healthy foods every day. Healthy living does seem to have its benefits, including being able to fully heal a head wound caused by a tank shell explosion in less than half a day. In the end, I was only able to escape the tank surrounded by zombies because they literally broke the front armour and let me escape through an opening. Oh yeah, did I mention I got up to 100+ pain? 50% monster speed is pretty forgiving, maybe I’ll increase it someday…

The same guy had a similar experience with a tank about 50 days earlier. I went into a tank with incendiary shells, fired at some zombies inside the tank (!), and almost got cooked alive inside the tank. Of course, an opening shows up at the right time (hallelujah), and the worst he reached was |… head or torso hp, I can’t quite remember.

I don’t think I’ll be touching any tanks anytime soon…

forgot this game isn’t dwarf fortress and spent Way too much time going through a debug world trying to figure out how to dig a moat with stairs at the end to channel hordes from 360 into a single tile.

Also why is there no Upstairs construction option? is this for the same reason?

reason being that there would be no way to prevent abuse since the game has no structural integrity mechanics?

[quote=“Litppunk, post:2415, topic:339”]forgot this game isn’t dwarf fortress and spent Way too much time going through a debug world trying to figure out how to dig a moat with stairs at the end to channel hordes from 360 into a single tile.

Also why is there no Upstairs construction option? is this for the same reason?

reason being that there would be no way to prevent abuse since the game has no structural integrity mechanics?[/quote]
I thought there used to be a build upstairs thing either that or it was a MINE upstairs thing. As for lack of structural integrity I only kinda agree since the part where you break down a wall with a sledge hammer and the room on the other side gets rubbled I see more as a random chance thing.

Yeah, there’s a mine upstairs option, though it can only be used underground as it requires a rock tile.

There is rock tile in cave, some office tower, a type of glass wall house. You still can’t build a second story, as z+1 level is empty space on which nothing csn be built.

One option is to build several walls packed together on the surface, then use furniture or another wall to climb up, taking you a z-level above the surface, where the walls act as a floor. You need experimental z-levels on for this, I think, and you can’t build anything up there.

Yeah, thats about what I thought