How did you last die?

best death ever:

huge boomer + zombie brute ay night

Ran into the western woods past the laboratory after accidentally blowing myself up with a landmine trying to get in. The landmine was no big deal. The zombears in the western woods tore me apart.

Should I have tried to fight instead of run with only a Marlin 39A?

Marlin cannot scratch zombear hard enough for you to survive the encounter, I guess.

I would not have resorted to plinking at a zombear with a toy gun, no.

zombears are deadly early game, and pain causes slowdown that is downright lethal.

Dont underestimate the effects of pain on combat.

Not only a slowdown, stats begin to be penalized pretty quick so you just stop hitting things while catching more blows leading to more pain. Rinse. Repeat.

Probably one of the first things new player survivor learns - running is almost always better than fighting when you face something beyond ordinary Zs (sometimes even ordinary Zs can cause trouble if they crowd you.).

No yeah, generally when the pain numbers are in shades of red, one is proper fucked. It is indeed a vicious downward spiral.

Worry not though!

-Asprin is good for minor pains, and better than nothing.

-Painkillers are useful in moderation, and should be taken whenever combat is expected. Id say take them before you get pained. And as ā€¦

Booze is a painkiller, and provides a small str boost. Worth taking a few nip of it along if you have nothing better.

-cocaine lost its ability to make you faster than a fucking hulk, but it does make you a lot faster, as well as stronger and smarter and a better shot. I take my bumps in pairs if Im in combat. Cocaine is a-mazing.

-Other drugs like crack or meth have their uses as well, but their negatives generally scale with their usefulness.

-adrenaline shots are the tits. The rivtech ones are ever more tit-tier. The beserker patch from my own mod has some serious usage as well, but is more designed for melee -very short term melee-.

-Finally, carry some oxygen or other general stimulate around. Emergency oxygen packs will give you small str boosts and speed. They also help with any smoke. But mostly the speed bonus is worth it. A few hits of pure oxygen lets you outrun things.

-And if things get really really bad, use a smoke bomb or light a house on fire. Especially at dark. The smoke from a fire or a smoke bomb will destroy your scent and monsters will go to your last known location. Each mon will independently track you, so, running through a smoke bomb or even carrying it on your person and running away will work pretty well at night. At day, not so much, since LOS isnt that busted ā€¦

what about doing ALL of them at the same time? get high on coke, meth, adderall, booze and Adrenalin at the same time. just become like an Eversor assassin.

its all about the stimulant number and the depresant number. Mixing doesnā€™t help. Unless it gets you that hairs width closer to overstimed without actually putting you over.

Playing past my bedtime. I got surrounded by a small mobā€¦ and forgot I had guns for exactly such a situation.

Itā€™s okay. Now my successor has my gunsā€¦

[quote=ā€œAluminumfoil, post:2390, topic:339ā€]Playing past my bedtime. I got surrounded by a small mobā€¦ and forgot I had guns for exactly such a situation.

Itā€™s okay. Now my successor has my gunsā€¦[/quote]

Iā€™m suspicious of the use of guns as panic weapons. I know thatā€™s what theyā€™re supposed to be, but my experience is that you need to have breathing room and be in control in order to use them effectively. By the time I realize/admit Iā€™m in trouble, I donā€™t have enough space (and/or am in too much pain) to actually aim and use the guns anyway.

Edit: Derp, asked and answered in its own thread.

[quote=ā€œEnDSchultz, post:2391, topic:339ā€][quote=ā€œAluminumfoil, post:2390, topic:339ā€]Playing past my bedtime. I got surrounded by a small mobā€¦ and forgot I had guns for exactly such a situation.

Itā€™s okay. Now my successor has my gunsā€¦[/quote]

Iā€™m suspicious of the use of guns as panic weapons. I know thatā€™s what theyā€™re supposed to be, but my experience is that you need to have breathing room and be in control in order to use them effectively. By the time I realize/admit Iā€™m in trouble, I donā€™t have enough space (and/or am in too much pain) to actually aim and use the guns anyway.[/quote]

Switching around the aimed shots can be helpful. Precise works well if thereā€™s still some distance away from the enemy, but once more than one gets close, like if the survivor is somewhat surrounded, careful or just aim and fire is better. Never try just firing, since getting attacked drops steadiness to zero. Just from experience from mainly using guns, where melee weapon is for situations where its wasteful to use ammoā€¦ like tiny groups of weak enemies.

I always go manual on the firing and just ( . ) until I like it.

Bit too time consuming when thereā€™s too many enemies, though. Sometimes steadiness wonā€™t drop if recoil is low enough, or weapons donā€™t have recoil in the first place, but too much in a hurry to check. Too many enemies, just hit a, c, or p until everythingā€™s dead.

Went too near a mall. Those things are the ultimate death fortresses (that Iā€™ve found yet). Once I went all the way down to the bottom of a mine and found all the juicy lore. But in terms of deadliness, got nothinā€™ on going even within one road of one side of a mall. In the end I went down bleeding and shooting cornered in an SUV by two Brutes, a Shocker Brute, and a whole host of other colorful characters (i.e. super zombies, not one single regular Zed, smokers, toughs, etc). (This was not the ā€œtankā€ character, btw, he died some other way.)

I remember Malls just having huge mobs of mostly regular Zs in an earlier buildā€¦or was that metastores?

Have yet to survive the Spring since I picked up again. Anyway, Cataclysm is helping me become detached and philosophical about death, at least in vidya games. I think I might have survived if Iā€™d taken more cocaine and some codeine prophylactically.

Randomly struck with radiation sickness in a suburb where itā€™s not possible to get radiation. Thereā€™s no elements for radiation / sickness to occur. Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s the experiment scenario that causes this, but my char always has no radiation traits. ughh

.>
<.<

what mods?

I am sensing the presence of the pk rebalancing mod.

damn, killed by a jackpot huh?