How did you last die?

I’m amazed at how often I encounter this meme. I had no idea that Skallagrim was that popular.

3rd attempted at playing.

Spawn in shelter, step outside to a giant Wasp vs Survivor zombie war.
two houses next door to the shelter are wasp hives.
zombies smash the wasp easily and surround me.

Needs more wasps.

i wish i were new again.

the world was magical and mystical before i started a mod.

things were unknown, i saw interactions that didnt exist, and i couldn’t tell you the odds of power armored zombies spawning at a checkpoint.

i myself died while testing out the chicken walker more. scary guys now, completely unapproachable via pedestrian methods

It’s said that a true Adept can code a game and play his game.

I played a random character, a clown with few useful skills.

After the first quest I let the npc guard the door to a house that night. I cooked some dog meat in an abandoned RV nearby and slept to recover some HP.

The next morning, I tried to peek through the curtain but found no such option, so I opened the door… and a zombie brute was there. I tried to fight it but was beaten badly so I led it to the npc and fled from the toilet window.

I was then attacked by a giant worm and then an acidic zombie and died.

A zombie survivor hit a window so hard it caused a small collapse of the building I was in… rubble fell on me and I couldn’t get out of it. The zombies that swarmed over due the noise ate me and give me the dedz.

yea I wish building physics were better, but that would create a whole new building system.

I always hate coming down with a bad case of the dedz. Leaves you bedridden for years… if your lucky.

one of the few diseases you can’t catch at PAX, i assume? :wink:

Day 1 - Awakening

Hello my name is… well i cannot remember what my name is so i will just go by what the scientists had called me and that is Prototype M. I was part of a secret military experiment. They were working on turning me into a super soldier or so they said. They “upgraded” me with armor plating and many other components which i do not remember what they were meant to do. During their “upgrading” they shoved excessively large needles into me and injecting this substance which caused me to shift, mutate and lets not forget the part of causing extreme pain. One of my last memories of that time was my generator malfunctioning and my movement and mind becoming sluggish eventually i was unable to move and hardly able to think and them shoving me off into some corner.

I do not know how long i was in that state but i have a feeling it was quite a while because when i was awoken the lab looked very different and none of the scientists or doctors looked familiar. I was awoken with a machine moving my legs generating power for me somehow. I used to have to use some sort of fuel but this seemed much more convenient at least until the first time i got an electric shock from inside my body and i realized nothing was working as it should. That was what i would guess to be a few weeks ago. Since then there has been a general level of panic from everyone and what i would call about two days ago it all came to a head. The lights in the lab went out. I heard gunfire, explosions, and screaming. That went on for a good 12 hours or so and then it was just silence. I have spent the past couple days in the darkness trying to figure out what to do. Today a stranger i have never met burst into my room. He was panting and delirious leaning with his back into the corner. His face is swollen and when i try to talk to him he just cowers in the corner and starts babbling about needing antibiotics or something. I left him there in his agony to try and find something to put him out of his misery. If he was stupid enough to get infected like that and not take care of it he deserves to get put down.

Day 1 - Exploration
I explored a few rooms in this lab and in the third room i found a security bot, and a dead scientist. Near the scientist i found an id card. In the process of grabbing this the security bot saw me and started unloading. I Started running but not before the bot was able to gravely damage my arms. I feel that if not for my armor, feathers, and skin with a wooden quality i would have lost the use of my arms in my first encounter with whatever horrors this place is going to inflict upon me. In the next room I found a couple zombies which i killed but the pain from those gunshots is almost unbearable. In the next few rooms i found an atomic nightlight and some water. with the pain subsiding slightly i decided it was time to move on. I ran into these little slimes or blobs or whatever they are and when i killed them they split into 2. Thankfully they were only able to do that one time.

This is making me wonder what they were doing down here in the lab after i went down. These zombies and slimey blob things must be what caused them to shut down the lab and activate the security to shoot anything that moves. I just hope i can get out of here without becoming one of those deranged lifeless husks.

Well I have just learned and important lesson about this lab. I need to be very careful about which doors i open. In the last door i opened there was a turret sitting there that just fired at me. It thankfully just grazed me with a couple shots but i have learned my lesson. I found a watch along with some clothes that fit me in a bunk room where the scientists must have been living.

These biotics are becoming an issue for me. In my fight against the last zombie i was knocked to the ground and while just searching through a room i felt an electric shock and i feel like something is leaking. I don’t know what but all i do know is that is not a good thing and i need to get that taken care of.

It seems the zombified scientists are able to create these flying robots and leave pools of acid on the ground. I desperately need to find a weapon to kill these things quickly. He/she/it did drop a cash card. I feel like i am going to need those when i get back to the surface. As much as i would like to tell people about what is going on down here it would violate confidentiality and they wouldn’t believe me anyhow so i better just worry about surviving and collecting enough money to get these damn malfunctioning biotics out.

Well i have just learned another important lesson down here. I went back to an area i was in earlier and found that one of the limbs on the zombie was starting to heal and try to move. I pulverised the corpse so hopefully that will stop it from coming back. I went back through and pulped the rest of the corpses i had left behind.

So the scientists must have been resurrecting other cyborgs down here because i just saw Prototype G but as soon as he saw me he charged at me trying to kill me. What is wrong with the man. I ran away becuase i was unable to take him in this state.

I just found out that they must have been still been doing the “upgrading” like they were on me. I ran into a working cyborg but he is also a zombie. I feel there are alot of threats down here that i am just not ready to face.

Proceeding through the lab i found another scientist. While i was fighting him he went to strike me but as he did i felt my skin harden into bark deflecting his blow. Whatever these scientists did to me i am really not liking. In that same room i found a zombie behind a containment wall that was lets just say bigger than the ones that i have been facing. I am not foolish enough to try and fight something like that. To the side of that room i found a locked door with a computer terminal right next to it. As i touched the computer i felt almost at home i quickly hacked the system without thinking and unlocked to room. I do not know why it came so natural to me but i am thankful that it did

Banadages. I have finally found something i can use to help with the damage to my limbs. Also the wounds on my arms are not so painful anymore and i am starting to get thirsty. I hope there is some water around that i can find and my newfound purse is being quite useful to carry stuff around in.

I Just found the motherload down here. There is a barracks here so this should be filled to the brim with weapons for me to make my escape. WELL THAT F-ING HURT. Now this pain is unbearable. I found a zombie that threw a granade at me. I just got behind a wall when it blew up but now i am crawling with one arm to get around. Both of my legs are completely shot as well as my flippin right arm my primary flippin arm. I am not left handed. I just need to get to a bed and rest thi-------

TLDR: I was having my character write a story about what happened to him and i got blown up by a grenade hack, blinded by a tear gas hack, then blown up by another grenade hack

well… poop, i was heading back from raiding the electronics store and gunshop and picking up my NPC in my spare electric car, was a productive trip, took apart some other solar vehicles for repairs and electric battery charging goodness and i spot a zombie grenadier on the way back, i immediately stop my car and get out to deal with it, rapier in hand.

huh, these grenade hacks are pretty easy for my character, the zombie can keep making them forever (i assume so anyway, not actually sure, but he seems to have as many as he wants to use) so i reason i may as well farm some extra ones while i’m having an easy time killing them without explosions and then my torso encumberance throws me off balance a few times in a row and i get caught in a chain reaction of what looked like 3 grenade hack corpses going off one after another.

fuck.

Some things about grenadiers and their bomb-hacks.

-Unless the grenadier sees/senses you, or I think sees another creature they see as hostile, they won’t release their -hacks.
-They have a finite amount of -hacks, so eventually they’ll run out. Problem is that they’ve got like 20+, so it might take a while to make them run out.
-You’ll find out that they’re out of bombs to release when they start attacking you directly.

-Like manhacks, their bomb versions are very evasive when it comes to close combat. Not recommended at all unless you’re super good at melee - like 7+ melee and weapon skills and holding a weapon with better hit chances, and not encumbered to lower your hit chance.
-No point in farming the bomb-hacks. Broken hacks can’t be salvaged for bombs, but sometimes they do drop plutonium cells (and there’s safer sources for them).
-If you don’t mind not getting much, just kill the grenadiers directly, before they release the dangerous bombs. They’re about as tough as a zombie soldier, and drop similar loot plus bomb-hacks. If you do kill them before they run out, run like hell away from their corpse.
-Okay skill with firearms, and decent amounts of ammo is the ideal way to deal with them. Aim and shoot the hacks and let them run out, or simply kill the grenadier while staying a good distance away from their death blast.

[quote=“Azrad, post:2373, topic:339”]Some things about grenadiers and their bomb-hacks.

-Unless the grenadier sees/senses you, or I think sees another creature they see as hostile, they won’t release their -hacks.
-They have a finite amount of -hacks, so eventually they’ll run out. Problem is that they’ve got like 20+, so it might take a while to make them run out.
-You’ll find out that they’re out of bombs to release when they start attacking you directly.

-Like manhacks, their bomb versions are very evasive when it comes to close combat. Not recommended at all unless you’re super good at melee - like 7+ melee and weapon skills and holding a weapon with better hit chances, and not encumbered to lower your hit chance.
-No point in farming the bomb-hacks. Broken hacks can’t be salvaged for bombs, but sometimes they do drop plutonium cells (and there’s safer sources for them).
-If you don’t mind not getting much, just kill the grenadiers directly, before they release the dangerous bombs. They’re about as tough as a zombie soldier, and drop similar loot plus bomb-hacks. If you do kill them before they run out, run like hell away from their corpse.
-Okay skill with firearms, and decent amounts of ammo is the ideal way to deal with them. Aim and shoot the hacks and let them run out, or simply kill the grenadier while staying a good distance away from their death blast.[/quote]

i more or less or know generally what i’m doing, it was mostly just a case of being too greedy really, i could have sworn the grenade hacks at least drop gunpowder and explosives materials is why i wanted to kill as many as possible, basically what wound up getting me is i had two unlucky swings in a row and didn’t beat the fuse to killing it.

part of it is i really never use guns (turrets, maybe, man-portable never, it’s personal RP, i always use a sword, most of the time a gigantic 2h one) and wanted materials to make some grenades later since i’m fine with throwing weapons instead.

kinda was a bit annoyed with myself honestly, that rapier with three techniques on it was literally making the difference between effective melee combat and constantly missing, i hadn’t fought a brute or a hulk yet but it was getting to the point i was feeling pretty unstoppable on that character, i actually felt like i should give myself less melee skills next time at least slightly.

that’s the thing with cataclysm, is the game is a long series of educated guesses gambles, i should have known better than to toy with grenadiers and their grenade hacks instead of just try to kill it quickly.

Zombie Brute. 'Nuff said. I was on Day 2 and the best weapon I had to my name was a short bow with like two usable arrows and a nailboard. Obviously I wasn’t gonna try to fight the big sumbitch. Tried to run like hell and keep buildings between me and the brute, but my real problem with that monster is that you can’t outrun them. Not even when they give you a “head start” by bitch-slapping you fifteen tiles away, they still have no trouble catching up to you and BRUTalizing you to death. Short of already being well armed/established/in a vehicle I really don’t know how you’re supposed to survive once you see one. Once that particular ZED shows up on the radar in the early game, it feels like my only choices are Alt + F4 Savescum or YASD. It’d be nice if they didn’t spawn until Day 4 or so. Same with shocker brutes et al.

Don’t get me wrong, I don’t mind dying and Cataclysm is my jam, but no-win situations definitely feel a bit grating.

are you really slow or something? or did you not actually run? hit " to run. asking because it is easy to run from them as long as you don’t have terrible base move speed.

HFS tarburst98. I completely forgot about the " to run mechanic that was added in one of the recent builds.

Wow, that really WAS a stupid death. Herp-a-derp-derp.

I would advise that you carry 9 Nailboard Traps with you. Everything up to and including standard brutes will kill themselves if you keep walking them around on a square of traps. They’re extremely heavy, and you’ll probably need to drop/deploy them to loot, but they’re more than useful enough to justify their existence, and they can be made on Day 1 using just a rock, and the stuff you get from smashing furniture.

I lit a Molotov in the dead of night, then, without realizing it, threw the matchbook at a Shocker Brute instead of the cocktail. I was wondering why the Brute hadn’t caught fire, when three turns later my character exploded.

I lit a Molotov in the dead of night, then, without realizing it, threw the matchbook at a Shocker Brute instead of the cocktail. I was wondering why the Brute hadn't caught fire, when three turns later my character exploded.

hahahahahahahaha…molotovs can be so useful when you get them working correctly, but I’ve literally lost count of the number of times I’ve accidentally immolated myself, with or without molotovs. Probably the most elaborate was the entire mansion that went up in flames from my fumbling efforts to cook meat and purify water using an open fire…in an enclosed space. Made of wood. I had a fire extinguisher down the hall just in case of something like this, but I did not grab it and get back in time. Come to think of it, that character I think actually survived burning down the mansion he had meticulously cleared out and boarded up, and went on to have a relatively long career for one of my Cataclysm characters…meaning that he lived until the mid-Summer or that he’s still alive somewhere on an old save file.

my most hilarious death recently was trying to “bust into” a gun store by driving a seed planter tractor into the walls/barred windows at 89 MPH. I had forgotten how realistically this game models high-speed collisions in open air vehicles with no seat belt. in my feeble defense, I have no idea how a tractor was able to reach 89 MPH to begin with.

I thought molotovs just extinguished when you don’t throw them.

Confirmed. The fire just goes out if you don’t throw it.