How did you last die?

Jerome Wood was the school janitor. He spent the first three days of the Cataclysm scouring the school for anything at all useful. At night he would lock himself into the chemistry class supply closet with everything he brought back.

On the morning of the fourth day he woke up to an angry, giant wasp plunging its six inch stinger repeatedly into his chest. His last thought was “how did that get in here?”

[quote=“Aesop, post:2301, topic:339”]Jerome Wood was the school janitor. He spent the first three days of the Cataclysm scouring the school for anything at all useful. At night he would lock himself into the chemistry class supply closet with everything he brought back.

On the morning of the fourth day he woke up to an angry, giant wasp plunging its six inch stinger repeatedly into his chest. His last thought was “how did that get in here?”[/quote]

Heh, yeah, the ability of flyers to go over walls that have roofs on them… it’s been around a long time, with annoying and hilarious results. I tend to see it more often with manhacks than wasps, though…

28 days old character… such a silly way to die… I am speechless :confused:

So, I find a working car! But I need a screwdriver to hot-wire it, that was a quest for two in game days.

Now that I found it, great, the car is all mine, but I am hungry and I decide to visit nearby gas station and beat up the vending machines to get food.

I stuff all the stacks of food into my car and I feel satisfied, I will be able to live for many more days, maybe another year?
I notice that my new car only has a 3% of fuel left so it´s a no brainer to try to refill it when the gas is at hand.

I slowly drive and… I think the gamelogs can describe what happened, because I still can´t.

[spoiler]
Final Messages:
12:45:30 You put your plastic bag of pretzels in the Car’s seat.3
12:45:36 Moving past this frame is slow!1
12:46:30 Moving past this frame is slow!2
12:46:30 There are vehicle controls here.1
12:46:30 Press ^ or F8 to drive.1
12:47:00 You take control of the Car.1
12:47:00 The Car’s engine starts up.1
12:47:00 You regain control of the Car.1
12:47:06 Vroom!1

I accelerate slightly and I notice that I am not moving forward, instead ramming the pump.

12:47:12 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:18 From the southwest you hear clang!1
12:47:24 Vroom!1
12:47:30 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:36 From the southwest you hear clang!1

I am confused because the way I was positioned, if I steered right my back could hit the pump, but if I steered left maybe I could have straighten out the car? That´s what I thought.

12:47:48 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:54 From the southwest you hear clang!1
12:48:06 From the east you hear vroom!1
12:48:06 The Car’s car battery is destroyed!1
12:48:06 The Car’s windshield is destroyed!1
12:48:06 You’re caught in the explosion!1[/spoiler]

Here is the memorial if anyone is interested, I only cheated at the beginning where I spawned myself a gun that I still had to this day.

[spoiler]
Cataclysm - Dark Days Ahead version 0.C memorial file

In memory of: Andrew Guastella
" Just one litre and I am ready."

He was a Military Recruit when the apocalypse began.
He died on Autumn of year 1, day 1, at 14:35:12.
He was killed in a gas station in the wilderness.

Cash on hand: $0

Final HP:
Head: 103/107
Torso: 0/107
L Arm: 107/107
R Arm: 107/107
L Leg: 94/107
R Leg: 107/107

Final Stats:
Str 10 Dex 8 Int 9 Per 8
Base Stats:
Str 10 Dex 8 Int 9 Per 8

Final Messages:
12:45:30 You put your plastic bag of pretzels in the Car’s seat.3
12:45:36 Moving past this frame is slow!1
12:46:30 Moving past this frame is slow!2
12:46:30 There are vehicle controls here.1
12:46:30 Press ^ or F8 to drive.1
12:47:00 You take control of the Car.1
12:47:00 The Car’s engine starts up.1
12:47:00 You regain control of the Car.1
12:47:06 Vroom!1
12:47:12 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:18 From the southwest you hear clang!1
12:47:24 Vroom!1
12:47:30 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:36 From the southwest you hear clang!1
12:47:48 Your Car’s frame rams into a gasoline pump.1
12:47:54 From the southwest you hear clang!1
12:48:06 From the east you hear vroom!1
12:48:06 The Car’s car battery is destroyed!1
12:48:06 The Car’s windshield is destroyed!1
12:48:06 You’re caught in the explosion!1

Kills:
B - 6 bears
r - 1 black rat
v - 1 chicken
C - 6 cougars
d - 12 coyotes
d - 7 coyotes
d - 25 dogs
d - 2 Z-9s
d - 1 fox
r - 2 jackrabbits
M - 10 mooses
r - 11 raccoons
s - 17 rattlesnakes
r - 11 sewer rats
r - 1 squirrel
r - 1 squirrel
m - 8 weasels
w - 20 wolves
B - 3 zombears
Z - 183 zombies
z - 92 zombie children
Z - 2 zombie cops
Z - 3 crawling zombies
Z - 3 fat zombies
Z - 2 firefighter zombies
Z - 2 hazmat zombies
Z - 2 feral hunters
Z - 5 decayed zombies
Z - 5 zombie soldiers
Z - 11 tough zombies
Total kills: 455

Skills:
bartering: 0 (0%)
computers: 0 (4%)
construction: 2 (55%)
cooking: 4 (0%)
driving: 2 (28%)
electronics: 0 (0%)
fabrication: 0 (34%)
first aid: 1 (45%)
mechanics: 2 (13%)
speaking: 0 (49%)
survival: 4 (11%)
swimming: 0 (15%)
tailoring: 0 (52%)
trapping: 0 (0%)
archery: 0 (0%)
bashing weapons: 5 (3%)
cutting weapons: 6 (98%)
dodging: 5 (66%)
marksmanship: 2 (6%)
launchers: 0 (0%)
melee: 9 (7%)
piercing weapons: 5 (43%)
throwing: 1 (51%)
unarmed combat: 0 (45%)
handguns: 1 (72%)
rifles: 0 (0%)
shotguns: 0 (0%)
submachine guns: 0 (0%)

Traits:
Addictive Personality
Lightweight
Thick-Skinned
Tough
Ugly

Ongoing Effects:
(None)

Bionics:
No bionics were installed.
Power: 0/0

Weapon:
j - combat knife

Equipment:
c - pair of combat boots (fits)
n - pair of fingerless gloves
o - pair of sunglasses
a - army pants (fits)
w - MBR vest (kevlar plates) (fits)
? - army helmet
A - backpack
u - gold ring

Inventory:
h - Glock 19 (11)
H - Ruger Redhawk
J - 20x66mm buckshot (40)
k - 9mm (14)
z - pointy stick
D - advanced electronic cigarette (40)
f - pair of binoculars
C - flashlights (off) [2] (100)
y - lighter (60)
v - matchbook (16)
G - apricot
B - tin can of clam chowder (fresh) (1)
x - tin can of corn (fresh)
t - cell phone

Lifetime Stats
Distance walked: 87380 squares
Damage taken: 1152 damage
Damage healed: 1053 damage
Headshots: 2

Game History
| Year 1, Spring 1, 07:00 | evac shelter | Andrew Guastella began their journey into the Cataclysm.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 09:30 | road | Caught a cold.
| Year 1, Spring 1, 16:48 | house | Became addicted to sleeping pills.
| Year 1, Spring 4, 18:21 | house | Threw up.
| Year 1, Spring 4, 20:13 | house | Threw up.
| Year 1, Spring 7, 09:43 | field | Stepped on a land mine.
| Year 1, Spring 7, 10:11 | evac shelter | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 7, 10:13 | evac shelter | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 7, 12:44 | house | Recoverd from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 7, 12:44 | house | Recoverd from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 9, 14:19 | house | Worn jumpsuit (fits) was completely destroyed.
| Year 1, Spring 9, 14:19 | house | Worn camo tank top was completely destroyed.
| Year 1, Spring 9, 14:19 | house | Worn rain coat was completely destroyed.
| Year 1, Spring 11, 03:56 | house | Became addicted to nicotine.
| Year 1, Spring 12, 09:37 | road | Threw up.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 05:30 | house | Caught a cold.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 10:18 | road | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 10:36 | field | Recovered from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 11:56 | house | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 12:11 | field | Recovered from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 12:11 | field | Contracted an infection.
| Year 1, Spring 14, 12:23 | field | Recovered from an infection… this time.
| Year 1, Summer 2, 07:13 | road | Threw up.
| Year 1, Summer 6, 12:41 | regional school | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 6, 13:21 | regional school | Recovered from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 7, 07:53 | regional school | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 7, 08:45 | regional school | Recovered from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 8, 19:45 | public works | Became addicted to caffeine.
| Year 1, Summer 10, 07:03 | road | Stepped on a land mine.
| Year 1, Summer 11, 05:07 | field | Threw up.
| Year 1, Summer 13, 10:24:48 | tower parking | Received a deep bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 13, 10:32:24 | tower parking | Recovered from a bite wound.
| Year 1, Summer 13, 11:26:24 | tower parking | Set off an alarm.
| Year 1, Summer 13, 13:08:36 | office tower | Set off an alarm.
| Year 1, Summer 13, 15:39:24 | tower parking | Set off an alarm.
| Year 1, Summer 14, 16:10:00 | gas station | Set off an alarm.
| Year 1, Autumn 1, 14:35:12 | gas station | Andrew Guastella was killed.
| Year 1, Autumn 1, 14:35:12 | gas station | Last words: Last words: %s[/spoiler]

That was what did you in. Your character will occasionally fumble the controls when skill checks fail. (low level driving) this makes them turn one way or another, without your input. Unfortunately it doesn’t tell you what direction you fumbled.

At slow speeds vehicles will often drift slightly based on where the controls are pointing. Pay close attention to the front direction square when you want to carefully maneuver. Although the car will often be adjusted slightly especially longer vehichles, if it isn’t perfectly straight.

Also remember that controls are backwards when backing up, just like real life. (left turns right and vice versa because turning wheels are at the front)

Heh, I´ll remember that when I will be doing my driving test for the license, hopefully with less lethal consequences than in the game lol.

Day 1: Dodgeball player (school) spawn. Spend the day building basic weapons/ nailboard traps, building wooden cart and tryin to find off the local hoards

Day 2: much the same, start getting to low on health decide to try for the local museum on the edge of town find full set of armor, armored boots armor helm and steel armguards. Double arm protection anyone? Once suited up I am able to defend the museum from the hordes that saw me enter with ease. Make my way into the most isolated house I can reach on my side, it’s not particualarly. But I manage to sleep without getting my face eaten off.

Day 3: gather supplies from the school, fight a shocker zombie with the help of a quarterstaff and nailboards, by this time the slow healing penalty I have is becoming a problem. I’m getting close to losing my arms. But I manage and continue to make much needed clothing to go under my armour, and board up some windows for mor warning/ sleep.

day 4 wake up to a feral atttempting to bite my face, but the armor doesn’t allow it. Havn’t healed much but I dispatch and deal with surrounding zombies trickling in through the windows that are open again. Built a makeshift bed in the bathroom for better less disturbed sleep

day 5: No sleep previous night. Shocker wanted to visit while I was doing late night construction and preperations. Lit a single piece of tinder so I could craft ammo for sling shot and take care of him while it was still dark. Unfortunately by the time I finished off the zombie moth impersonators it was day, so I took a hit or two. during the cleanup, my first spitter zombie showed up. I got bogged down by the other zoms too much to make it to my quarterstaff, or slingshot ammo. Melted to death, none of the final zoms got a mite on me though, just melted inside my armor.

Started infected in a store with a large tent. Skimmed edge of town till I got to the fire-station, empty of zoms with haligen bar, fitting turnout coat, injection system and sledge and utility vest. Decided to come back for sledge. found helo crash sight at the edge of town just opposite a working solar car. There was a military rucksack on the edge of the crash. Then I drove past a burnig book store with bodies littered everywhere. Grabbed a toolbox. Hordes surrounded the doc’s office and pharmacy that were my objective to be cured of the nasty infection. hit as few as I could manage while i circled around to the backside buying myself as much time as I could before the zombies would be on me again.

doc’s office had nothing usefull and I made it out the south exit and into the pharmacy. I got cornered in one of the rooms (intentionally…mostly) and used the doorway to chokepoint them regualarly injecting myself for the extra speed to take them out. I cleared them out but smoker and friends were coming so I continued through until I found the medicine vault. But I hadn’t brought the sledge, so I ran back outside. I had accidently jumped out of the driver seat on the way in, so now not only was it crashed into the side of the building but it was torn apart by zoms and the horde fell on me. Finally got punched by a brute to end it.

Had I brought the sledge with me it would have been the best start I think I ever had.

Oh, and found a security van with H&K (30) and killed a Zcop in docs office with a 9mm

Everything was going well. Day 5.
I noticed I forgot to turn on zombie wander spawns.

I died that same day when zombear decided to say hi.

[quote=“xthorgoldx, post:2043, topic:339”]Well, this one’s embarrassing: trapped in a lab.

Found a lab, went down despite having only 1 computer skill at the time. Fight my way through everything, but find myself stumped by the computer-locked doors with hidden goodies beyond. Lacking a digging tool, I happened upon a teleporter and, after a few tries, managed to beam myself into an armory. Loot in hand, I tried to teleport out - and landed back in the armory. I tried again - landed in a locked cell right outside the armory. Again, again, again - each time into the armory, or somewhere just outside the armory but in a locked space. Eventually, my teleporter ran out of charges with me still stuck inside, with no tools strong enough to break through the walls (MGs, no explosives). After exhausting my ammunition and attempting to build a bomb out of the stuff I couldn’t shoot, I had to abandon the poor chap to his doom.[/quote]I never go to labs without a jackhammer.

[quote=“vassock, post:2309, topic:339”][quote=“xthorgoldx, post:2043, topic:339”]Well, this one’s embarrassing: trapped in a lab.

Found a lab, went down despite having only 1 computer skill at the time. Fight my way through everything, but find myself stumped by the computer-locked doors with hidden goodies beyond. Lacking a digging tool, I happened upon a teleporter and, after a few tries, managed to beam myself into an armory. Loot in hand, I tried to teleport out - and landed back in the armory. I tried again - landed in a locked cell right outside the armory. Again, again, again - each time into the armory, or somewhere just outside the armory but in a locked space. Eventually, my teleporter ran out of charges with me still stuck inside, with no tools strong enough to break through the walls (MGs, no explosives). After exhausting my ammunition and attempting to build a bomb out of the stuff I couldn’t shoot, I had to abandon the poor chap to his doom.[/quote]I never go to labs without a jackhammer.[/quote]

I go into labs without a jackhammer all the time… but I don’t try to teleport into anything, and I leave the computer terminals alone (well, except for getting a map) until I have computer skill at least 3 (and usually at least 6).

Teleporters are pretty much emergency, option-of-last-resort escape equipment for me - teleporting RANDOMLY like that is a great way to have all kinds of bad things happen to you.

[quote=“vassock, post:2309, topic:339”][quote=“xthorgoldx, post:2043, topic:339”]Well, this one’s embarrassing: trapped in a lab.

Found a lab, went down despite having only 1 computer skill at the time. Fight my way through everything, but find myself stumped by the computer-locked doors with hidden goodies beyond. Lacking a digging tool, I happened upon a teleporter and, after a few tries, managed to beam myself into an armory. Loot in hand, I tried to teleport out - and landed back in the armory. I tried again - landed in a locked cell right outside the armory. Again, again, again - each time into the armory, or somewhere just outside the armory but in a locked space. Eventually, my teleporter ran out of charges with me still stuck inside, with no tools strong enough to break through the walls (MGs, no explosives). After exhausting my ammunition and attempting to build a bomb out of the stuff I couldn’t shoot, I had to abandon the poor chap to his doom.[/quote]I never go to labs without a jackhammer.[/quote]
that’s the problem, when i bring my jackhammer, it usually takes up about half my weight capacity, so i cant loot much at all

fill the other half with a fold-able cart. Only cary Jack & cart up and down stairs.

Killed more than 100 zombies on my first day because I found a naginata in an antique shop after running recklessly though the city, panicked and attempted to burn down the shop when a ton of zombies followed me, then used a tank as a chokepoint and poked all of them to death. Succumbed to pain and 2 zombies afterwards.

I had failed an attempt to unlock the barracks door in a lab, so I decided to bust down the wall with a jackhammer. There was a zombie grenadier on the other side with 4-5 grenade hacks.

Never jackhammer the wall directly into a lab (primarily for that reason, though biooperators with time to beat on you can be pretty bad, too) - jackhammer to the side into the closest bed room, so you still have a door you can close.

Bring the jackhammer, drop it at the top, explore the whole place, except the things you need to jackhammer (mark them on your list), then come back with the jackhammer just for the stuff, when you already know what you need to do.

Why are all my deaths misclicks ;-;
Rode around in my deathmobile looking for labs to raid, found one. Open the door, check rooms on ground floor for terminals for map, and go to staircase. Staircase has a drop. Don’t have a jackhammer needed to build a staircase up so I go to click no. Accidentally click yes. Am now stuck in lab. Ironically, the room I dropped into was a cmd machine room, which is exactly why I was looking for labs.

look for a teleporter? May not be forfeit yet… maybe.

I was going to throw a mininuke out my hippie death van at a roadblock that was pissing me off.
But instead of doing the timer activation thing, it activated on the spot.

And that’s how I lost my death van.

10/10, would thermal detonate again.

a moose ripped face off.

i nerfed him since

a stupid guy was running away from me and he decided to circle back to get to my mobile fort. He filled up with stuff and was just running away when i caught up with him, catching him redhanded. so i tried disarming him (he had a shotgun… my shotgun) but i forgot something very important, i didn’t activate my hydrolic muscles. i failed and he promptly shot me in the head.

so, to get revenge I brought up task manager and crashed the game. reloaded it and ran him over with my spiked mobile fort while i was shouting to him that i was from the future and that i wasn’t going to let him kill me.

i then dosed myself with stimulants and streaked into a roaming hord of zombies with a battle axe and a mini nuke committing suicide from depression.