How did you last die?

[quote=“Weyrling, post:2280, topic:339”]Generic CDDA earplugs are, apparently, literally the best ear plugs ever made by anybody ever, even with enhanced hearing I managed to sleep through the wall getting smashed down by a hulk who proceeded to throw me and my bed through the other wall.

Note to self: If something is too loud to sleep through don’t just put in earplugs and leave it running all night, turn it off.[/quote]
Yup, real annoying when that happens. Apparently, CDDA brand earplugs are the shit. They should have some sort of maximum blockable sound level. Being surrounded by a yet unaware horde and having to sleep shouldn’t be an instant death sentence mid-game.

This

I was using a flame thrower to kill them and it was working pretty well until they started to flood in from all directions. This is with normal spawn rates so I don’t know why there are so many xD

Did you have Static Spawns set to false?
This changes it to Dynamic mode, which will spawn more zombies based on noise, large fires tend to make a lot of noise once they get going so you basically get infinite zombies unless you run away really fast.

Did you have Static Spawns set to false?
This changes it to Dynamic mode, which will spawn more zombies based on noise, large fires tend to make a lot of noise once they get going so you basically get infinite zombies unless you run away really fast.[/quote]

I am using static and not dynamic

Where are you? It looks like dungeon under city keep in dwarf fortress. Is it apartment building or prison?

Looks like the Necropolis to me. And by Necropolis, I meant the sewer leading to it.

I agree.

As for my latest survivor, he died to a mi-go. It is common per se, but I realize that now mi-go does not walk through the burning bush you have prepared for it! It’s terrifying!

AI has improved much since the stable. Now I’m constantly mugged by group of canine - dog, coyote, and wolf. Wasp is not easily distracted by squirrel.

That’s actually the housing section on the second floor of the vault (Which is part of the necropolis). The first floor of the vault had a little less than this, but there was still a massive amount of irradiated wanderers

Had a decent character going, mid-summer, with static+wander (5x spawn level). Really bad day start, got out of town, had multiple crops planted outside a shelter I had found, and I’d killed SO many zombies in the area, it was finally begining to clear out and be safe-ish (only 1 or two zombies to kill each morning). I had decent equipment, and my skills were rising.

So, I wandered to close to a military outpost a few screens to the south, and the turrets made a LOT of noise killing soldier zombies… and headed back home, but that was a SERIOUS dinner bell, and the hordes descended. Where are they even COMING from? THERE’S NOTHING BUT FOREST THAT DIRECTION!

Anyway, I dealt several small groups, managed to let some pass by, but then… well, I guess the noise had stopped, so they started wandering randomly again, and while I was dealing with a small group to the west, a big group started heading STRAIGHT for my shelter from the south.

Oh, no you don’t! Not going to bash my hard-earned base to crap! I can deal with those - nothing TOO serious, and not too TOO many of them… I forget what all was there, but no predators or other high-level monsters, and no necros, masters, or even spitters, just police, tough, swimmer, child, etc, and a smoker. I have a gas mask.

So, as I close, what comes out of the smoke at point blank range? A hulk AND a shocker brute. Broad daylight, open field. I have a makeshift glaive and some small submachine gun of some kind…

We’re done. ZAP, PUNCH, get up, run, ZAP, PUNCH. Lather, rinse, repeat. :frowning:

This wasn’t my last death, but my last one wasn’t very spectacular (A smoker).

In an earlier experimental, (I think 5400-something), I found and stripped a tank, installed both guns on my Cargo-Mobile, and all available Military Composite Armor. I thought I was hot stuff, then. I drove at a Zombie Hulk going about 70 MPH. I was going to vaporize it, then I got three squares away, and realized that I didn’t know how to work the turrets. (I still don’t, but I don’t install them anymore, either. Too much weight)

If that wasn’t enough, I had left the car door open, and the Hulk pulled an action movie stunt and stepped into my car, somehow, then proceeded to pound my character through the (non-reinforced) windshield, with the armor stopping him from flying out. I can’t get him back to the controls, so the car is still going down the road at 70 and the Hulk is steadily wrecking this poor guy.

It’s equal parts sad, and hilarious.

An npc stole a flaregun and shoot me,igniting my shack and stockpiled ammo which ignited my two tile big gasoline powered generator that ended exploding.
Managed to survive the fire only to die of a mininuke that got damaged by the explosions and got taken by me to save something out of this.
Had forgotten that when they get damaged they leak radation.

[quote=“xironfistx, post:2291, topic:339”]An npc stole a flaregun and shoot me,igniting my shack and stockpiled ammo which ignited my two tile big gasoline powered generator that ended exploding.
Managed to survive the fire only to die of a mininuke that got damaged by the explosions and got taken by me to save something out of this.
Had forgotten that when they get damaged they leak radation.[/quote]

That was a ride from start to finish.

Had a hostile NPC on me with a Glock, so I run to my teammates (one armed with an M60, the other Mossberg) having them fight the hostile for me. They didn’t shoot back and the hostile shoot through them killing me with a headshot.

Decided to take a burning building start. Started in a house, nothing too special, just wanted the extra 2 points. Spawned 2 tiles away from a brute, who proceeding to smash me through the flaming window and into a small group of zombies outside. Shortest run yet.

My shortest run is when i made a character, spawned in an evac shelter, a horde came in and my NPC buddy used his flamethrower, so i commited suicide, BUT OH NO, THAT’S NOT THE SHORT ONE
made another character in the same world, spawned in the exact same evac shelter, zombies still around and building still on fire
Two turns after that, building collapsed on me, one shot, one kill

my shortest run was two turns

I remember a story where a guy was killed while driving a road roller at top speed.

His next character spawned, walked outside, and was flattened.

Look both ways before crossing the street, kids!

Overconfidence.

Every time I finally get a full suit of heavy survivor armor I get overconfident and careless.

Fortunately, a tank was kind enough to [glow=red,2,300]pummel me[/glow] remind me that’s a bad thing.

When will I learn…

I had a similar run - started an infected lumberjack, started to wield my wood axe, and a moose came through the window of the house I was in and murdered me into the bathroom before I could finish readying the axe.

My shortest run is when i made a character, spawned in an evac shelter, a horde came in and my NPC buddy used his flamethrower, so i commited suicide, BUT OH NO, THAT’S NOT THE SHORT ONE
made another character in the same world, spawned in the exact same evac shelter, zombies still around and building still on fire
Two turns after that, building collapsed on me, one shot, one kill

my shortest run was two turns[/quote]

Mine was zero, actually - started in the burning building scenario, and it collapsed on me and I died BEFORE I DID ANYTHING.

To be fair, that only happened once (one turn runs happened several times, though) - eventually, I quit trying the “burning building” scenario in anything but a house start, as all the big-box style starts are WAY too likely to just kill you before you can do anything.

Most recent death was not actually a death. I had started a BadDay start, got out of town, set up at a mansion… I (not the character, actually me) was under the weather, so I stayed in bed playing for a while, and man, it was GOOD run - I had power armor and a HELMET before spring was out, among other crazy things.

And then, the almighty crash monster ate me. I had actually had a chance to play for a while, and I forgot to stop and save… walking along, map got too big for memory, BAM.

Reloading put me more than a week’s play back, before I had done a WHOLE lot of things (like find the armor and helmet in too different map-tiles of corpses… that weren’t going to be there anymore). I just restarted instead.