Lets talk Hoardganization (thats the organization of hoards of loot)

I was torn whether to put this in suggestions or here, but I hope the advice on how people store their loot will outweigh the idea/suggestion portion of the post…

I was thinking of a craftable bin of sorts, that you can label after constructing it, “You see here a bin marked “ELECTRONICS”.” It could have an insanely complex crafting recipe that takes tons of valuable materials, like: 1x rock, 4x 2x4’s, 4x nails… :smiley: That’s an amazing bin!! Seriously, though, I think it’d help me keep my piles cleaner by being able to step on a pile and identify what goes there… At the same time I’d like to be able to drag (or at least move them via “move furniture” command) said bins… Thoughts? Is the dragging game breaking? Is there some method in place that works the same way as these bins would (I was thinking a fleet of named shopping carts…)?

Secondly, and why I’m posting here to begin with, how do you guys stash your loot hoard-mountains? What helps you keep your hoarded things straight? Someone on IRC already said advanced inventory is handy for keeping familiar with your hoards… Is the word hoard beginning to lose all meaning?! :slight_smile:

My vehicles usually have several containers (even more so now) for specific items, since I don’t change the design (that often) it just becomes memorization.

In most games I just pile any things I found into several piles with rough categorizes (food, books, tools). If I found a spraycan I can spray into the floor right beside each pile to remember which kind of pile it’s is.

I often place all my loot in a square like this

#.{
#. .
#. .

The wardrobe keeps all the tools I may want to recover for travel
The square between the wardrobe and the counters keeps large metalworking stuff
The counters keep a great arrange of miscelanoues stuff (often divided in electronics/chemistry/miscellaneous stuff)
The lower flooors hold trash itmes like scrap metal and cans

Then i have several lockers dividing into firearms/ammo/bows/survival stuff/explosives near the entrance of the shelter

I like my loot organized

Food and Drink pile, Meds/drugs/alcohol pile, tools and batteries pile, ammo pile, weapon pile, Clothing/cbms/books/useful stuff pile. Thats the back of my truck filled out and im happy. (6 spaces) Oh, and I have a main pickle dump marked somewhere on the map, man needs his pickle dump.

Simple solution to what you want is just to use shopping trolleys and paint.

I find as long as I never get lazy and just start dropping stuff into whatever happens to be closest then my loot seems to keep itself semi sorted. If I do that once or twice though, thats pretty much the end of the organization thing.

Ive also been fiddling round with looting very little/no extra crap, grabbing whatever junker cars I find and only looting when I want/need stuff. You need a few more map markers for cbms and stuff, but realistically I need about 10% of the stuff I loot.

I try to have some semblance of organisation, such as putting stuff related to cooking by the hotplate I use, putting non-perishable foods(such as vacuum packed/tinned etc) separately to the cooking supplies or perishable food. Usually have a read book pile, selves full of booze. The rest tends to be sorted into rough areas such as storing electronics related stuff near each other.

Usually things end up in a half organised mess strewn all over the ground of various shelters I use.

Usually i keep every craftable material in a 3*3 floor grid (or even bigger). But in my shelter i have a corner for food with a fireplace, another corner for weapons bullets and armor (cometimes cbm too) and another for chems and clothes, with a bed. Since the introduction of casters hoarding has become much more fun.

I name shopping carts. x_x shopping carts are good for everything.

Most important things I need for storing things are two tables/counters/cupboards or what have you. Then I place all the more common tools for crafting on one table and the junk for crafting on the next. Works like a charm.

You’ll want to use open display cases like bookshelves, metal racks, or counters unless you don’t care and just throw everything into a massive pile on the floor.

I have three different locations for different fields of crafting: the kitchen, the dorms, and the toolshed. built a 3x3 toolshed in my base, and then put a metal rack into every corner. If you label each space like you would on the numpad:

1: Containers (flasks, jars, bottles, canteens)
3: Items for disassembly (flashlights, useless CBMs, teleportation pads, etc.)
6: Metal (scrap, chunks, lumps, frames, plating,)
7: Electronic components (RAM, Processor Boards, copper wire)
8: Tools (Hammer, Wrench, charcoal forge/kiln)
9: Nonmechanical components (plastic bags, wire, string, blades, spikes)

The kitchen is arranged more meticulously. Once again, metal racks are used, and there is a row of five metal racks on the left side, and one on the right next to the solar-powered kitchen unit. Raw meat is hunted fresh, never stored, and there is an ample supply of wolf spiders, moose, bears, and rabbits outside the fortress walls.

Rack 1: Raw foods & Components (Bleach, Ammonia, spaghetti, mac & cheese, pesto, red sauce, flour)
Rack 2: Alcohols & Non-water drinks used in crafts
Rack 3: Completed, non-perishable foods not used in crafts (far enough away they aren’t checked for in the crafting window)
Rack 4: Purified water-filled canteens and bottles (For excursions out into post-apocalyptia)
Rack 5: Empty bottles
Rack 6 (To the right of the kitchen unit): Bones

In the kitchen is where I also store the seeds used in farming, as well as chitin powder, bonemeal, and plant food, on a counter next to the door.

The crafting materials used in clothe making are kept in the bedroom in four separate racks (Fur, rags, chitin, leather). I tend to keep a sewing kit on me at all times, with plant fiber/sinew/thread kept elsewhere for the sake of organization and keeping nothing on the floor. Clothes and armor have their own dressers on the other end of the room, and the clothes that have been scavenged have been repaired to reinforced status.

The armory has a series of metal racks for firearms, ammo, explosives, melee weapons, UPSes, and ammo crafting materials.

Wood is also kept in a separate spot on the base for construction purposes. Most of it is in the form of logs, which can be chopped into 2x4s.

And finally the medicine box is in a special place on the base, where all the medicines, drugs, narcotics, and first aid kits are kept. The narcotics will eventually get their own box. Why do I have them? For trading purposes.

What i do almost every time :

I stay into the shelter. And go in the corner with the computer §.
then i build Bed (B), Counter ©, and a Fireplace (F). Empty area are (o).

CCFCP CoooC ooBoC CoooC CCoCC

From top left to top right, then bottom.
Empty bottle; Wood ; Fireplace; Food ; Computer
Water ; None, none, none ; Clothe related (rag …)
none, none, Tools *1 each, none, Books
Planks/nails; none, none, none ; Electronic stuff
Metals; Metals ;none ; CBM & rare stuff/weapon usefull ; Stuff to (D)isassemble.

[quote=“Oragepoilu, post:11, topic:3671”]What i do almost every time :

I stay into the shelter. And go in the corner with the computer §.
then i build Bed (B), Counter ©, and a Fireplace (F). Empty area are (o).

CCFCP CoooC ooBoC CoooC CCoCC
Basically exactly what I have too, except I have a solar welder shoved in there somewhere. I like counters; I find without them I tend to try and memorize by icon instead of location and when the icon changes (new item on top) I lose it. With #s I have to memorize location instead
From top left to top right, then bottom.
Empty bottle; Wood ; Fireplace; Food ; Computer
Water ; None, none, none ; Clothe related (rag …)
none, none, Tools *1 each, none, Books
Planks/nails; none, none, none ; Electronic stuff
Metals; Metals ;none ; CBM & rare stuff/weapon usefull ; Stuff to (D)isassemble.[/quote]