Heretical alcohol questions

So, being that I don’t use alcohol all that much in the game, and having just done the molotov quest for a certain NPC and finding it to be very annoying, I was thinking of making some kind of “generic strong alcohol” that all the molotov-capable alcohols could be made into instantly (i.e., I want to pour these 7 units of brandy together with these 7 units of whiskey to make one more molotov).

Then I got to thinking about alcohol in general… do the units of different strength alcoholic beverages have the approximately the same amount of alcohol in them? If so, it would be awfully nice to be able to distill the other alcohols into this same “generic strong alcohol”, though it would obviously take more time than the already-strong stuff.

Any thoughts on that? I have a still already (I crafted cheap wine into brandy to make the molotovs), so concentrating other alcohols (in a fashion that doesn’t really care about flavor or even safety for human consumption) could be done in a similar time frame.

Heck, even beer could be concentrated, if one didn’t really care how it tasted (or even if it was safe to drink) afterwards…

It’s called whiskey…

We have ethanol and denaturated alcohol. Ethanol is supposed to be pure, but denaturated alcohol doesn’t need to be.
Some simple recipe to craft the latter could probably be a thing, if it is in real life.

I’d expect “dried” beer to become a thick goop rather than alcohol, though.

Science tangent incoming.

Alcoholic beverages cannot be concentrated by evaporating away the water in the mixture, because the alcohol evaporates faster than the water does. The process of producing concentrated alcohol out of dilute alcohol is known as distilling. (The distilling process can be used for any such separation of liquids, from fine scotch to nuclear waste.) There are many methods but they all follow the same basic steps:

1: get some mixture of liquids and put it in a container
2: heat it up gently. Chemicals in the mixture will boil off, proportionately speaking, in the order of their volatility, with the lightest, most volatile liquids first and the heaviest, most stable liquids last.
3: collect the vapor that comes off the top and let it condense and run down into a storage container. The condensed liquid will emerge in a continuum of proportions that can be separated into three broad phases. Each phase also contains some water, because the water will steam even if it doesn’t boil.
A) High percent of undesired light liquids. Low percent of desired liquid. Very low percent of undesired heavy liquids. In brewing, this is the “head,” and contains poisons and noxious-smelling chemicals along with volatile but harmless and pleasant aromatics.
B) Low percent of undesired light liquids. High percent of desired liquid. Low percent of undesired heavy liquids. In brewing, this is the “heart,” and is mostly ethanol.
C) Very low percent of undesired light liquids. Low percent of desired liquid. High percent of undesired heavy liquids. In brewing, this is the “tail,” and contains mostly harmless proteins and oils that have strong, often unpleasant flavor and can be hard to digest in high proportions.

A and C can be cycled back into future batches to avoid wasting their desired liquid component.

B can be distilled again and again to remove more of the undesired liquids. If you’re looking for purity, this is a good idea, but it comes with a price in brewing, since every time you distill you’re losing aromatics and flavor chemicals along with poisons and flavors. Distill it enough times, and it doesn’t matter whether you started with fine wine or old yeasty dishwater: ethanol is ethanol.

If all you’re looking for is fuel, you can keep all of A (those volatile chemicals burn nicely) and most of C, and re-distill it again and again until you have all the water out of it.

If you’re looking for whiskey, you do indeed start with beer. Well. Sort of. Most of the time, you start with a strained-out wheat or corn mash that is technically beer. A nasty unpasteurized low-quality beer without any of the hops flavors that make beer taste like beer… but beer. Then you distill it two or three times and are left with something not unlike a wheat-based vodka. At this point, you put it in an oak barrel and wait a long time for flavor chemicals in oak wood to dissolve into the alcohol and water mixture. At last, you open it up and add water until you dilute it to the desired proof, bottle it, and sell it to real Southern colonels, for it is now whiskey.

1 Like

Well we have the still, does that mean all we need is more recipes?

That was quite nifty, and I even learned a little bit (the details were quite interesting), so thank you for putting it there (it will probably be quite informative to some people).

However, it doesn’t answer the most factual of my original questions, and with all that knowledge, it sounds like you would know (or at least have a very informed guess): do the units of different strength alcoholic beverages have the approximately the same amount of alcohol in them?

The idea is that, with a still, I could turn one unit of beer (that takes up a lot of space and has too much water in it for molotovs and other such uses) into one unit of “crafting alcohol”, but I would like to not magically create more alcohol - perhaps a serving of beer only has half as much as a serving of whiskey? I honestly don’t know (in game terms).

TheKobold has it, all we need is crafting recipes using the still to make ethanol and you should have what you want, and possibly also expansion of some of the crafting recipes that take various alchohols and add ethanol as an option.

I don’t think think so, although they might be coded that way in terms of how they get your character drunk. Beer (~5% alcohol) and hard liquor (~45% alcohol) are about right, at roughly .05 volumes of alcohol per unit, but wine (~15% alcohol), which has the same number of units per 1 volume as whiskey, is only about .02 volumes of alcohol per unit.

The code doesn’t directly tie alcohol effects to alcohol content, but medium alcohol is generally 2x as strong as weak one and strong one 3x as strong as weak one.
For example, vodka is medium alcohol with 7 charges per unit of volume, meaning it has effectively 14 the alcohol content beer has (per unit of volume).
The only strong alcohol in the game is moonshine.

That’s a very good idea, but I was after something a little simpler, really - I have a 7 units of whiskey and 7 units of brandy, and making a molotov takes 14 units of either. If there was some kind of “dirty whiskey” (for lack of a better name) that I could craft whiskey, brandy, or any of the multiple other choices for a molotov (or torch, etc) into in a 1-to-1 basis VERY quickly, it would simulate just pouring the remnants together.

Seriously, the molotov doesn’t care, right? The ethanol idea is fine, but I’m talking about something much simpler. The beer/other alcohol idea was extra (and your idea makes much more sense for that).

Assuming you can use ‘medium’ strength alcohol for a molotov, any ‘medium’ strength should suffice…
afaik, IRL most stuff at that category would be 30-50% alcohol anyway (60% for crazy home-brewed stuff like some versions of raki around here :slight_smile:

PS. i hope wine is not in the medium category.

You need 80(40%) proof for it to burn well, 60(30%) proof will but only if its spread thin and it will only be a smoldering flame.

As for mixing alcohols I could see there being a generic recipe that includes all alcohols that can be used to make moltovs and what not. Just combine any 1 portion of vodka, whiskey, gin, ect… to get 2 portions of mixed alcohol, then just add that generic alcohol to all the recipes that use the ones you mix into it. Give it a massive penalty to enjoyability and probably a low quench and nutrition. Can any one point me in the direction of a guide on making my own items and recipes in the nessicary format and i’ll try my hand at it.

[quote=“TheKobold, post:12, topic:11211”]You need 80(40%) proof for it to burn well, 60(30%) proof will but only if its spread thin and it will only be a smoldering flame.

As for mixing alcohols I could see there being a generic recipe that includes all alcohols that can be used to make moltovs and what not. Just combine any 1 portion of vodka, whiskey, gin, ect… to get 2 portions of mixed alcohol, then just add that generic alcohol to all the recipes that use the ones you mix into it. Give it a massive penalty to enjoyability and probably a low quench and nutrition. Can any one point me in the direction of a guide on making my own items and recipes in the nessicary format and i’ll try my hand at it.[/quote]

It’s really easy - open any of the files in data/json/items, and just copy and modify. Recipes are in data/json/recipes. If you’re familiar AT ALL with json, it’s really easy - I could make the mod myself, I was really more interested in feedback on the idea.